2020 Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Wonderful post, Fred!
I suspected you would pull for us, if the roles were reversed.
My dilemma is I like you guys, right after Atlanta. Thought about Dusty managing you guys, as he got the Houston job last night. Really enjoyed the WS in 2019!!

When the Braves first moved here in 1966, I was still in Miami for the next few years. We got 20 Atlanta games down there. No other team present. The President cut in for a speech and we got preempted for that game. I was so mad. Would listen to the West Coast games with a radio under my pillow(Mom was the devil incarnate, Ha!Ha!). Still not sure why Atlanta was in the Western Division for decades?
I started going to AtlFulCo in 1969, and those late ‘70’s games had 60,000 fans disguised as empty seats. We probably crossed paths in the mid to late 80’s, Fred?
How could we not? True baseball fans. We witnessed some good ball from the road teams.

Last year was wonderful for a couple of reasons. Relevant baseball for both of our teams, & secondary club.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Wonderful post, Fred!
I suspected you would pull for us, if the roles were reversed.
My dilemma is I like you guys, right after Atlanta. Thought about Dusty managing you guys, as he got the Houston job last night. Really enjoyed the WS in 2019!!

When the Braves first moved here in 1966, I was still in Miami for the next few years. We got 20 Atlanta games down there. No other team present. The President cut in for a speech and we got preempted for that game. I was so mad. Would listen to the West Coast games with a radio under my pillow(Mom was the devil incarnate, Ha!Ha!). Still not sure why Atlanta was in the Western Division for decades?
I started going to AtlFulCo in 1969, and those late ‘70’s games had 60,000 fans disguised as empty seats. We probably crossed paths in the mid to late 80’s, Fred?
How could we not? True baseball fans. We witnessed some good ball from the road teams.

Last year was wonderful for a couple of reasons. Relevant baseball for both of our teams, & secondary club.
I miss the Braves being in the NL West but i always was sort of a contrarian;):LOL: Was Miami a pretty good Minor League Baseball town?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I miss the Braves being in the NL West but i always was sort of a contrarian;):LOL: Was Miami a pretty good Minor League Baseball town?
We had the Miami Marlins, 3A for Baltimore. Not great crowds unless a promotion, much like minor league baseball in Gwinnett County. Spring Training did better, especially when the Yankees were in Ft. Lauderdale back then. Miami and the area, don’t really support MLB with the Fish. Soccer and Football do well, because of the huge Cuban & Spanish population.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Aren't those the same???
T.I.C.? Yes.

American Pro football is big down in Miami. They have supported the Dolphins well, and many Super Bowls. Before the Pro Bowl featured individual players, they played a two-team event before the Super Bowl. I went back down there with my Grandfather in 1969 for three games; Kansas/Penn. St. in Orange & Minn./Dallas in Pro Bowl & Jets/Colts in Super Bowl.

Not sure what this has to do with baseball, sorry for getting off base. I won’t address Havana Soccer play. Lol!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
SD, LA D., are the reported favorites to land Mookie Betts from Boston. Should the Braves get involved for 27 m., in his last year before free agency? How steep is the package of prospects required? He’d push Ozuna down to fifth, and the crowded OF would be over the fill line on the tank. Here are some stats.:
  • AL MVP
  • 4X All-Star
  • 4X Gold Glove winner
  • 3x Silver Slugger
  • 2018 batting title winner
  • 2x Wilson Defensive Player of the Year
  • 10.9 WAR in 2018
  • 42 career WAR thus far

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
SD, LA D., are the reported favorites to land Mookie Betts from Boston. Should the Braves get involved for 27 m., in his last year before free agency? How steep is the package of prospects required? He’d push Ozuna down to fifth, and the crowded OF would be over the fill line on the tank. Here are some stats.:
  • AL MVP
  • 4X All-Star
  • 4X Gold Glove winner
  • 3x Silver Slugger
  • 2018 batting title winner
  • 2x Wilson Defensive Player of the Year
  • 10.9 WAR in 2018
  • 42 career WAR thus far

We have the prospects to get in the conversation. Why not?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Bc he only has 1 year left. If we could do it w/out giving up Pache or Waters I may be interested

I hear you. It's a gamble on top of a gamble in the middle of a gamble. But, as I always say (which was totally stolen from some other dude ;)), prospects are nice but rangs (no, not "rings") are nicer.

Another saying that's applicable to prospects? "There's always more where that came from."

There's not always MVP-caliber guys available.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I hear you. It's a gamble on top of a gamble in the middle of a gamble. But, as I always say (which was totally stolen from some other dude ;)), prospects are nice but rangs (no, not "rings") are nicer.

Another saying that's applicable to prospects? "There's always more where that came from."

There's not always MVP-caliber guys available.
It's very difficult to rebuild a minor league system if you gut it by trades. That's been a problem for the Yankees and Phillies for a while.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It's very difficult to rebuild a minor league system if you gut it by trades. That's been a problem for the Yankees and Phillies for a while.

First, I don't think it'd decimate their farm to aqcuire Betts though it would certainly be costly.

Second, I'd say it's easier to rebuild the farm than it is to acquire an mvp-level player in his prime.

Last, I remember the Texiera trade so I know the risk. I just think we're close enough that the risk would be worth it.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
First, I don't think it'd decimate their farm to aqcuire Betts though it would certainly be costly.

Second, I'd say it's easier to rebuild the farm than it is to acquire an mvp-level player in his prime.

Last, I remember the Texiera trade so I know the risk. I just think we're close enough that the risk would be worth it.
Just a curious question for you. What is your threshold for "worth it"?
1) Making playoffs with 90ish wins
2) Winning NL East & losing NLDS
3) Winning NL East & losing NLCS
4) Losing WS
5) Winning WS

NOT picking on you... I like to play this what if game when fans talk about risk/reward. Obviously... there is another option specific to Betts where he balls out & Braves for other reasons come up short.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Just a curious question for you. What is your threshold for "worth it"?
1) Making playoffs with 90ish wins
2) Winning NL East & losing NLDS
3) Winning NL East & losing NLCS
4) Losing WS
5) Winning WS

NOT picking on you... I like to play this what if game when fans talk about risk/reward. Obviously... there is another option specific to Betts where he balls out & Braves for other reasons come up short.

Fred my threshold has two parts;
#1) Win a World Series Title
#2) Manage the Franchise to win multiple World Series Title's
So, I would say if it's costly, but not crippling = go get him !!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
If memory serves, it worked for us acquiring McGriff(although we acquired him in 1993, wouldn’t have won the 1995 WS in the 144 games without him and his 27-93), if the Big Prize is the goal. It backfired getting Barker, Drew, Teixeira. Lost large MLB players & future talent.

Last edited: