2020 Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
NICE:):cool::D:smuggrin: So nice you had to post it twice;)(y)
That’s to give you an opportunity to “like” it twice and Fred not to miss it.
No, seriously-my WiFi was malfunctioning. It duplicated the original post which I had combined two bits of Twitter news all together in. Once I noticed that occurrence, instead of deleting one of them with a “No Message,” I split them up into two posts.

I hope that’s as clear as mud, because even I’m confused now? Just didn’t want you to think I’ve lost what little sense I have left:banghead:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
That’s to give you an opportunity to “like” it twice and Fred not to miss it.
No, seriously-my WiFi was malfunctioning. It duplicated the original post which I had combined two bits of Twitter news all together in. Once I noticed that occurrence, instead of deleting one of them with a “No Message,” I split them up into two posts.

I hope that’s as clear as mud, because even I’m confused now? Just didn’t want you to think I’ve lost what little sense I have left:banghead:
That Ozuna stat is nice. It "pairs well" with the one on his career v Sanchez & Corbin:
4 for 36 or .111

Ozuna's team is also 0-4 in his last 4 games v the Nationals. I'll take the inside of Strasburg's & Scherzer's heads over Ozuna's for now.

Over....

;)

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
That Ozuna stat is nice. It "pairs well" with the one on his career v Sanchez & Corbin:
4 for 36 or .111

Ozuna's team is also 0-4 in his last 4 games v the Nationals. I'll take the inside of Strasburg's & Scherzer's heads over Ozuna's for now.

Over....

;)
There's going to be a nice fight for 2nd place in the NL East between the Nationals and the Phillies;)

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Yankees spent the most in Free Agency with 336 m.
Nationals were 2nd, although most in N.L. by far(not sitting on their laurels).
Per MLBTR-

Nationals: $316.75MM on 10 players (Stephen Strasburg, Will Harris, Daniel Hudson, Starlin Castro, Yan Gomes, Howie Kendrick, Eric Thames, Asdrubal Cabrera, Ryan Zimmerman and Kyle Finnegan; financial details unclear for Finnegan; top 50 MLBTR signings: four).

Braves: $116.25MM on nine players (Will Smith, Marcell Ozuna, Cole Hamels, Travis d’Arnaud, Chris Martin, Nick Markakis, Tyler Flowers, Darren O’Day, Adeiny Hechavarria; top 50 signings: five).

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Per MLBTR-

Nationals: $316.75MM on 10 players (Stephen Strasburg, Will Harris, Daniel Hudson, Starlin Castro, Yan Gomes, Howie Kendrick, Eric Thames, Asdrubal Cabrera, Ryan Zimmerman and Kyle Finnegan; financial details unclear for Finnegan; top 50 MLBTR signings: four).

Braves: $116.25MM on nine players (Will Smith, Marcell Ozuna, Cole Hamels, Travis d’Arnaud, Chris Martin, Nick Markakis, Tyler Flowers, Darren O’Day, Adeiny Hechavarria; top 50 signings: five).
The Braves as usual should have spend more:rolleyes:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Per MLBTR-

We didn't spend all of that money on 1 player though. We spread it around on shorter deals, but the Nats pretty much spent all their money on Strasburg.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
We didn't spend all of that money on 1 player though. We spread it around on shorter deals, but the Nats pretty much spent all their money on Strasburg.
That’s true. Atlanta doesn’t usually give long-term, except for the young superstars.
Also, I’m sure Fred knows more about the Lerner Family than me, but they are known to defer a portion of salaries. Compounding interest off the team revenues plus the assets of the vested payroll high yield account, which include the 317 m. deposited.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Per MLBTR:
The MLB arbitration panel has finally issued a ruling on the grievance brought by Cubs star Kris Bryant against the organization, per Jeff Passan of ESPN.com (via Twitter). Bryant will not be granted an additional year of service time, the panel ruled. He will remain under team control via arbitration through the 2021 season.

Cubs last offer that the Braves turned down, was Bryant for Riley & two top prospects.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Thanks to Birmingham Bee, for digging up info. on the International Players, Atlanta surrendered:

The highest rated prospect we lost was SS Kevin Maitan. He was the #1 rated international prospect at 16. He is now 20 and the Angels 25th rated prospect.

#8 ranked C Abrahan Gutierrez last year was in class A ball with the Phils.

#15 IF Yunior Severino was in class A with the Twins

#41 RHP Juan Contreras - rookie lg. with Angles.

All of them are about 20 now.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
From MLB.com....
The Nationals and Twins swapped right-handers on Wednesday, with Washington sending Hunter McMahon to Minnesota in exchange for Ryne Harper.

The 30-year-old Harper made his Major League debut last March after eight seasons in the Minors. Harper, who specializes in curveballs that he can throw at three speeds, made a strong impression in Spring Training and earned a spot on the Twins’ Opening Day roster. He posted a 4-2 record with a 3.81 ERA and one save in 61 appearances out of the bullpen last season.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
From MLB.com....
The Nationals and Twins swapped right-handers on Wednesday, with Washington sending Hunter McMahon to Minnesota in exchange for Ryne Harper.

The 30-year-old Harper made his Major League debut last March after eight seasons in the Minors. Harper, who specializes in curveballs that he can throw at three speeds, made a strong impression in Spring Training and earned a spot on the Twins’ Opening Day roster. He posted a 4-2 record with a 3.81 ERA and one save in 61 appearances out of the bullpen last season.
If this guys makes the roster... I REALLY hope he chooses #34. (y)

He's going to have to wear something other than #19 (his number with Twins). Anibal Sanchez has dibs on that one.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
That’s true. Atlanta doesn’t usually give long-term, except for the young superstars.
Also, I’m sure Fred knows more about the Lerner Family than me, but they are known to defer a portion of salaries. Compounding interest off the team revenues plus the assets of the vested payroll high yield account, which include the 317 m. deposited.
I'll admit I don't really understand (or care...really) the ins/outs on deferred salaries. The Lerners definitely do a lot of deals with deferred money. No telling how many players they've missed out on because of this.

I do have a question for you smart guys related to this. There was an earlier post ranking teams by "money spent" on free agency. That seems like interesting information that isn't very informative. The thing that matters most is how close you are to the luxury tax (effectively a "cap") and how that number is distributed across the roster. The Nationals appear to be a little out of whack this way. Lots of money tied up in the starting pitching. An old "average" aged roster. A couple of younger guys who are budding stars and/or have very high upside. Objectively... I think the Nationals are walking a very fine line. They could put together a lot of wins if injuries remain limited and guys like Robles have even a little better consistent production. On the other hand, if Stras or Scherzer suffer any long term injury... that's real trouble. OR a few of these older guys (Zim, Cabrera, Kendrick) produce like old men... there really isn't any safety net to shore up issues.

The Braves should be consensus favorites to win the NL East. They have a good shot at being the best team in the NL...don't you think? Definitely 2 contrasting situation in Atlanta and DC. Atlanta is young AND talented setup to be in the discussion for years to come. As a fan... that is really all you can ask for. Be relevant. My 2 favorite pro sports teams are the Nationals and the Capitals. Very well run organizations that are relevant year in and year out. Winning it all is so hard to do... the joy comes in being part of the story. Winning titles is gravy really.

You guys have helped me get familiar with the Braves. It is a tricky thing to pull for the Nationals and hope the Braves are lingering close enough to be my "backup".. we'll see how I manage in 2020.

Fun fact/Confession: I grew up a Braves fan. Murphy, Horner, Chambliss...got me hooked. Attending Ga Tech in the late 80s... I went to AFC stadium too many times to count to watch the Braves with 5-10k of my friends. :( Not a lot to get excited about then. My last season in Atlanta was 1990. Terrible year.. but you know what happened next. After I got out and left Atlanta area for good... was thrilled to watch from afar when Atlanta began their LONG run of success in 1991. When the 1994 season ended (by strike), I went on my own 'protest' and wrote off MLB for good. I thought I was serious and managed to stay bitter for 5-10 years. Not sure how/when.. but very slowly I began to start paying attention to baseball again around the time the Nationals started playing in DC (coincidence, I think)...and they were my "home team" since I was a resident of Virginia by then. Bottom line... I do have a soft spot for the Braves and you guys have done a good job feeding that. I also still have lots of family in the Braves "market" and when they are happy, I'm happy. Looking forward to the season, guys!

Last edited: