2020 Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I’m with YJF2018. Have to give him an A+ right now. Most G.M’s haven’t even got cranked up or out of bed yet.

I didn’t see Smith or Martin or O’Day, coming. Got Kakes for a reasonable amount.

I feel he will make 3 more splashes. Heard him on 93.7 fm while driving today. He seemed to like Will’s versatility to get key outs and fill in on Melon Man’s off days.
He loved having Wash back and said he’s happy coaching here, loving Atlanta. He thought the goal should be playoffs every year, then see if the ball will bounce right.
Give the team a chance once they get there. He went on about having breakthrough young players at Gwinnett as reserves for injuries. Thinks someone can produce out of the blue like Riley, Soroka, Fried, did. A full year for those two pitchers should make them better as they can pace themselves in 2020 for the duration including postseason.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Yankees released Jacoby Ellsbury.

Protecting Rule 5 deadline players ended last night. As of a reasonable hour, the Braves still had only added the 5 that I mentioned previously on here, to the 40-man. I don’t think they cut anyone to make additional space.

The Nats. protected Ben Braymer(LHP)from Auburn. 18th round, good at AA, hit hard in hitter-friendly International League. They had more flexibility, but didn’t use it leaving roster spots for FA spending or acquisitions.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Adding to my memory of Alex Anthopoulos on the weekly radio spot.....he mentioned Alex Jackson very briefly as a breakthrough player from 2018 to 2019. The young guys not only could come up from Gwinnett via injuries, but also if we don’t produce at certain spots. I got the feeling, he could be talking about Flowers or OF?? Also, when I surmised he is only starting to get active before the meetings, he could splash more than 3 times(C, 3B, LHSP). Wouldn’t put it past him to get a big bat in the OF. Might add a RHSP, who knows what he’s up to? This could be our largest haul in years.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Adding to my memory of Alex Anthopoulos on the weekly radio spot.....he mentioned Alex Jackson very briefly as a breakthrough player from 2018 to 2019. The young guys not only could come up from Gwinnett via injuries, but also if we don’t produce at certain spots. I got the feeling, he could be talking about Flowers or OF?? Also, when I surmised he is only starting to get active before the meetings, he could splash more than 3 times(C, 3B, LHSP). Wouldn’t put it past him to get a big bat in the OF. Might add a RHSP, who knows what he’s up to? This could be our largest haul in years.
Buzzbomb,what's your opinion of A's free agent starting pitcher Tanner Roark? He was 10-10 with a 4.36 ERA and with a 1.57 WAR in 2019.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Buzzbomb,what's your opinion of A's free agent starting pitcher Tanner Roark? He was 10-10 with a 4.36 ERA and with a 1.57 WAR in 2019.
Fred, might have better insight since he might have seen Tanner live in Washington?
I’ve only viewed him a few times and heard a start on the radio, where he gave up walks & got hit hard. My limited, surface opinion is, not for the Braves. I’m like you, I want a veteran like Hammels. Wheeler is interesting as a RHSP, although he will be costly in a multi-year. You and I agree on Bumgarner, he’s been great in postseason, however his numbers have been slipping. I’d pass on him like Roark. Who is on your wish list for our 3 or 4 splashes(I’m betting you still want the Bringer of Rain, first?)?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Fred, might have better insight since he might have seen Tanner live in Washington?
I’ve only viewed him a few times and heard a start on the radio, where he gave up walks & got hit hard. My limited, surface opinion is, not for the Braves. I’m like you, I want a veteran like Hammels. Wheeler is interesting as a RHSP, although he will be costly in a multi-year. You and I agree on Bumgarner, he’s been great in postseason, however his numbers have been slipping. I’d pass on him like Roark. Who is on your wish list for our 3 or 4 splashes(I’m betting you still want the Bringer of Rain, first?)?
Mine would be Donaldson, Contreras, Hamels, and Wheeler. If we can't get Donaldson, then I want Moustakas or make a blockbuster trade for Bryant and Contreras.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Gee whiz, who could argue with THWG on his list? Perfect. Expensive.

Not sure if the 122m. opening season budget, is accurate? That came from a financial advisor within Liberty Media, supposedly. I can’t find an article on a Google or Bing search?

Jake, I asked my best friend who works at Trust Park, all 84 games last year-because I have no idea. He said, probably not. Rumors are Alex and his team want Josh, but they(Team Donaldson)have 3 and 4 year offers already. Rain Bringer wants to be here too, I’ve heard. Will the Braves come up from their offer they put together for his agent? I don’t think anyone knows? It will be 25m. per year, he tells me.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Gee whiz, who could argue with THWG on his list? Perfect. Expensive.

Not sure if the 122m. opening season budget, is accurate? That came from a financial advisor within Liberty Media, supposedly. I can’t find an article on a Google or Bing search?

Jake, I asked my best friend who works at Trust Park, all 84 games last year-because I have no idea. He said, probably not. Rumors are Alex and his team want Josh, but they(Team Donaldson)have 3 and 4 year offers already. Rain Bringer wants to be here too, I’ve heard. Will the Braves come up from their offer they put together for his agent? I don’t think anyone knows? It will be 25m. per year, he tells me.
If the Braves are serious about going for it, Liberty needs to be willing to spend about$160-180 million. This doesn't mean that we open the year with that salary, but definitely need to end the year there.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I agree, although it’s not my money. As fans, we have to try to budget our dreams.
I was hoping they would cough up 150 m.. and save 10 m. for June/July.
The players you want we could get with a little creative financing. Can’t give Melon Man away for his 14 m. Inciarte is another story that can be traded. Pache can play CF for the minimum. Duvall can be cut to open up another 3 m. Pretty sure we don’t have to have Shane and his arbitrational Green(e).

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Tanner Roark was a great National. He pitched really well while here; and brought some of those intangibles that I probably put too much stock in... things like a great overachiever story, good guy in clubhouse, & above average athleticism for a pitcher that translated into good defense & decent batting average. That said, I think the Nationals parted ways with him at the right point in his career. He's in his early 30s now. Not saying he'd be a bad addition to a team; but I'd have to understand all the finances (and I don't) to say whether he's a good idea for the Braves. I'm sure he has years left to produce in the MLB.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Yasmani Grandal signed by the Chicago White Sox.
4 years, 73 m. guaranteed.

Thanks for the insight, Fred J.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Tanner Roark was a great National. He pitched really well while here; and brought some of those intangibles that I probably put too much stock in... things like a great overachiever story, good guy in clubhouse, & above average athleticism for a pitcher that translated into good defense & decent batting average. That said, I think the Nationals parted ways with him at the right point in his career. He's in his early 30s now. Not saying he'd be a bad addition to a team; but I'd have to understand all the finances (and I don't) to say whether he's a good idea for the Braves. I'm sure he has years left to produce in the MLB.
Tanner Roark's adjusted salary with the A's was 1,179,543 while his base salary was 10,000,000

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I like you posting his salary, however I don’t think spending 12 m. or more for his 10 wins, 10 losses and almost 4 and a half ERA would be money well spent. If District of Columbia Nats. parted with him, we might need to pass on Roark. What say you?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I like you posting his salary, however I don’t think spending 12 m. or more for his 10 wins, 10 losses and almost 4 and a half ERA would be money well spent. If District of Columbia Nats. parted with him, we might need to pass on Roark. What say you?
Tehran gives you exactly what Roark does and at a cheaper price. I would sign him before I signed Roark.