2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament - Atlanta Regional

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Good amount of #1 seeds on the losers side of the bracket after today’s game. Their is a reason 75% that win game four win the regional, because 25% of time someone from the losers bracket wins three in a row. We just need to be one of the teams in the 25% stat. Just get to Monday and I trust our talent will get us to the SR.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wait now I am confused. So he warmed up in the top of the 8th was he out there in the top of the 9th as well or just the 8th?
He was not out there in the bullpen in T9 bc he was due up maybe 5th or so. They did the same last week in Durham. He will go warm up an inning early if it works better based on where they are in the order.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Good amount of #1 seeds on the losers side of the bracket after today’s game. Their is a reason 75% that win game four win the regional, because 25% of time someone from the losers bracket wins three in a row. We just need to be one of the teams in the 25% stat. Just get to Monday and I trust our talent will get us to the SR.
Very true. Possible that NINE #1 seeds go to the loser’s bracket. That’s gotta be close to a record.
Louisville, ECU, GT, UGA, West Virginia all lost today. Oregon State was eliminated today (when was the last #1 to go 0-2 in a regional?) Stanford and Oklahoma State are losing late, and UCLA is tied late with Loyola. Going to be interesting tomorrow and Monday to see how many #1’s battle back to win.
Edit: OK State came back from a 5-2 deficit with 4 runs in the 9th to win 6-5. Sounds familiar huh? Still 5 #1’s in the loser’s bracket with 1 eliminated and 2 more on the verge of losing.

I don’t think Auburn is better than Tech, but they’re sitting pretty as far as pitching depth and overall rest goes. Tech scored pretty much at will on Auburn’s bullpen during the midweek series, and can probably expect to see a lot of that pen tomorrow night and Monday. But, our pen will probably be running on fumes by Monday. With Chapman and Zay questionable to even be ready to go, that leaves us with Hughes, Lee, Bartnicki, Gibson, Roedig, English, Brace, Barlow, Carpenter, and Winborne to get us through tomorrow, and Willingham would probably be able to throw at least an inning or 2 on Monday. I would say it’s a safe bet that Roedig and Gibson will start tomorrow’s games in some order, leaving Hughes, Carpenter, and English as the only 3 guys that have thrown multiple innings fairly often in a game available out of the pen.

Hopefully whoever starts game 1 can go 5 solid and we rough up Coastal’s pitching and ride out the last 4 innings with Brace, Barlow, and Winborne. Get another 4-6 out of the game 2 starter and try to let Hughes finish from there, or get it to the 9th and bring Tristin in to shut the door. Then it’s a good old staff day on Monday, and probably for both teams. Willingham would probably start and hopefully get 2-3 out of him on short rest, and wing it from there. We’re down but definitely not out of this. Tough climb, but, “We’re at Georgia Tech, WE CAN DO THAT!”

Last edited:

Squints

Helluva Engineer
He was not out there in the bullpen in T9 bc he was due up maybe 5th or so. They did the same last week in Durham. He will go warm up an inning early if it works better based on where they are in the order.

Got it thanks! That makes sense because he was in fact due up 5th and that's cutting it a little close. So at that point I'm guessing it was a choice of CT or English to start the 9th and after the quick 8th CT was the guy.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
And just now the number one overall, UCLA, has been knocked down to the loser's bracket.

This is a wild tournament.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Number 1 UCLA goes down 3-2 to LMU. So numbers 1, 3, and 4 go down tonight. Not sure what the number 2 seed did, but I'd say we are unfortunately in good company.
1, 3, 4, 7, 10, 11, 15, 16 are all in the losers bracket. 16 Oregon St is already eliminated and 10 ECU lost their first game today because of yesterday’s weather delay, so they need four straight instead of three like everyone else.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
I still think we will win the regional. We are better than auburn and coastal, and we are at home. It’s definitely tough now.

I’m hoping our fans rally behind the team and show up today. Last night was an awesome crowd. Any auburn chants were quickly silenced.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m not mad at anyone at last nights results. I just have the, you know, GT kind of mad where life screwed you over for no apparent reason. I think we all get trained on it as part of slogging it out against Ma Tech. Time to go beat all the bastards in our way & take what rightfully belongs to us. Go Jackets!

Deleted member 2897

I am still physically ill. I hate it for the guys. They have to figure out a way to channel that into positive energy for Coastal today. If we can’t get back to Auburn later, I like our chances even in a second game. They had pretty much everything go their way last night and that will not happen again.

Why was higher seed the away team?

We were both the home team once before the game and then we lost the coin flip. We will also be the visiting team against coastal carolina today, but we'd be the home team tonight against auburn if we win the early game.

Edit - On top of that, I believe we would be the home team on Monday as well if we get there.

Last edited:

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
The error by the shortstop to begin the 9th inning set a bad tone and instantly worried me. We need Radcliff to get more production in the line up and need McCann to step up at the plate. It is going to be hard to win 3.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I just want to say that I am proud of this team.

I was there last night and like everyone else was stunned at the ending. BUT, it was also so clear to me that the guys on this team have character and strength. CT was so disappointed I really felt for him. He just squatted on there in the mound. Tristan English impressed the heck out of me by going over to CT amidst all the chaos of Auburn celebrating, picking him off the ground, and patting him in the chest to pump him back up and encourage him.

You can complain that we did this wrong or made that mistake or whatever. But CT has carried us all year and if I was in that situation I'd keep him on the mound as well. The whole team competed their hearts out. They lost. But that is baseball (and sometimes life) wherein the best don't always win. Still, I was proud. Yes, we lost. But that was a brilliant well played (not perfect, but still well played) game where both teams scratched and clawed. Ashamed anyone had to lose. Auburn lost in the SEC Tournament on a weird play, we lost in the NCAA's on a weird play.

Tough game. But great young men on a great team.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Sorry to say it wouldn't shock me if Coastal beat us today. Their offense is real good. But here's hoping we can get hot, get some good luck, and string a few wins together.