2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament - Atlanta Regional

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
English was playing 1B. I dont think he can come in mid inning because he has to warm up while the team is on offense. So that's not an option.
Well then you're just proving more that this is on Hall. English should be in the bullpen in the top of that inning...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I’m not paying attention to anyone who is blaming this on Hall unless they provide evidence of calling for English before the HR happened. And I’m sure some folks can prove it, I’m just too friggin tired of hearing about Hall all the time, retrospectively. In the moment I recognized the tough decision there and see merits both ways.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Well then you're just proving more that this is on Hall. English should be in the bullpen in the top of that inning...

Look I get you're mad but think about it. If English is warming up in the bullpen he is coming into the game at the top of the inning. This has been established literally the entire season. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has watched the team this year. So what exactly are the options here?

Pull Thomas and have English pitch the 9th? Because that's what would have happened if he warmed up. And then English wouldn't be available tomorrow. Or have English warm up just in case, play 1B for a few batters because you can't take him out the game then put him back in, then put him on the mound cold in the middle of a jam?

The latter is just dumb. No manager or coach would do that. The former just seems like making a call with the benefit of hindsight. Which, unfortunately, you don't have the benefit of in the moment. What indication was there that Thomas was headed for trouble after 8 innings? None that I could see. He was cruising.

So you can warm up English and put him in the game in the top of the 9th which burns him for tomorrow or keep in Thomas who was rolling with a three run lead and have English for tomorrow. Those are your only scenarios that involve Tristan English. I don't think going with the second one is bad call. Did it work out? No. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Top of the inning. He was up 5th. You should warm him up regardless.

I think it's a tough ask to have him warm up physically and mentally to pitch just in case he's needed, then put him back at 1B, then put him on the mound in a presumptive jam (because why else would take out Thomas). I've never seen that happen at this level. Probably unrealistic to expect something like that to happen. Particularly with a kid who's had major arm issues that to this day effect how and when he can be used.