2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament - Atlanta Regional

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I just want to say that I am proud of this team.

I was there last night and like everyone else was stunned at the ending. BUT, it was also so clear to me that the guys on this team have character and strength. CT was so disappointed I really felt for him. He just squatted on there in the mound. Tristan English impressed the heck out of me by going over to CT amidst all the chaos of Auburn celebrating, picking him off the ground, and patting him in the chest to pump him back up and encourage him.

You can complain that we did this wrong or made that mistake or whatever. But CT has carried us all year and if I was in that situation I'd keep him on the mound as well. The whole team competed their hearts out. They lost. But that is baseball (and sometimes life) wherein the best don't always win. Still, I was proud. Yes, we lost. But that was a brilliant well played (not perfect, but still well played) game where both teams scratched and clawed. Ashamed anyone had to lose. Auburn lost in the SEC Tournament on a weird play, we lost in the NCAA's on a weird play.

Tough game. But great young men on a great team.

Yea watching CT was brutal. But if nothing else it was heartening to see the team respond the way it did to him and the result. Granted, you'd rather they not have to do anything like that but that's obviously not how it went down. To a neutral observer that's probably a great game of baseball. It just sucks we were on the wrong end of it.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's back to basics. Time to battle...every pitch. Win the next AB. Make plays. Only way to win this regional is to win 3 straight. Good/great teams...do that often during year... thus team certainly has. But can't 3... until you win 1.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's back to basics. Time to battle...every pitch. Win the next AB. Make plays. Only way to win this regional is to win 3 straight. Good/great teams...do that often during year... thus team certainly has. But can't 3... until you win 1.

Exactly.

Assuming the past three years probabilities hold. Auburn has a 81% chance to win regional. GT and Coastal split the other 19% like maybe 12% and 7%.

If we don't see X, I'd think his injury is more serious than let on and he is much less likely to be drafted high enough to leave. That's about the only silver lining I see. I'll update the 2019 Draft post after this weekend's games.

Going to chat.

64jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Game over boys. There playing with know heart. Looks like they dont even want to be there. I pray they prove me wrong.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
He’s speaking the truth it seems , so frustrating to have the kind of season we did & to piss it away in 2 days

Deleted member 2897

We were both the home team once before the game and then we lost the coin flip. We will also be the visiting team against coastal carolina today, but we'd be the home team tonight against auburn if we win the early game.

Edit - On top of that, I believe we would be the home team on Monday as well if we get there.

Think about that for a bit. #3 team nationally, hosting a Regional, and we’re the visiting team twice already. The NCAA is stupid.

Deleted member 2897

I just want to say that I am proud of this team.

I was there last night and like everyone else was stunned at the ending. BUT, it was also so clear to me that the guys on this team have character and strength. CT was so disappointed I really felt for him. He just squatted on there in the mound. Tristan English impressed the heck out of me by going over to CT amidst all the chaos of Auburn celebrating, picking him off the ground, and patting him in the chest to pump him back up and encourage him.

You can complain that we did this wrong or made that mistake or whatever. But CT has carried us all year and if I was in that situation I'd keep him on the mound as well. The whole team competed their hearts out. They lost. But that is baseball (and sometimes life) wherein the best don't always win. Still, I was proud. Yes, we lost. But that was a brilliant well played (not perfect, but still well played) game where both teams scratched and clawed. Ashamed anyone had to lose. Auburn lost in the SEC Tournament on a weird play, we lost in the NCAA's on a weird play.

Tough game. But great young men on a great team.

We controlled all 3 games against a good Auburn team this year. Baseball can just be a crazy game.

Deleted member 2897

CT was throwing well, and placing his pitches well. The runners were due to a weak, well-placed grounder and a HBP with 2 strikes on the batter. CT went at him too hard with 2 strikes. It happens. There is no way that Hall made the wrong call on this one. It's just how the game plays out sometimes. 1 strike or 1 HR and the game is over.

Agree violently. CT showed no reason to take him out and his pitch count was fine. And on all those batters he was getting into 0-2 counts. It was almost like he just wanted it a bit too bad or something. Shouldn't hit a batter on 0-2 and shouldn't give a hittable pitch on 0-2. Kudos to the Auburn batter for even being ready to hit that one - I would have bet a million dollars the next pitch was going to be no place near.

We also had an error, we left people on, and so on. I don't blame this loss on CT - I think he pitched a magnificent game. I don't put this on CDH. We've just been snake-bit - about half of our losses this year we were leading at the end of the game and then team's rallied on us and came from behind. Baseball in particular is a crazy sport, just look at all the elite teams in the losers bracket. Any team can beat any team in a 1 game series. I wish they found a way to do more 3 game series earlier in the playoffs, but you can't really do that with so many teams initially.

My only beef is that if you don't do 3 game series, you ought to at least be very liberal with who the home team is. In my opinion in the first regional, the better seed should ALWAYS be the home team no matter what. Otherwise, you're not giving them any advantage at all. And indeed to that point, how the hell are we the away team twice already in our own damned regional as the #3 team in the country? There is no way that should ever happen. Why give the advantage to the worse team, and repeatedly.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
How was that not an out on 3rd in the 8th inning , I’m in a noisy house so I apologize if it was explained

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
If we beat Auburn, do we have to play them again tomorrow since they have zero losses? Or is the tourney format just allow for the Regional final winner to just win the final regardless if they have the 1 loss?