Helluva Engineer
Gold on gold helmets is a new ideal. Reminder these are practice jerseys

Attachments

• Webp.net-compress-image (2).jpg
    Webp.net-compress-image (2).jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 63

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
But were those replicas made at the time the actual uniforms were made, or at a later date as a souvenir, like most such gear is made? And I don't disagree that the trim overall since the 90s has been navy; it's probably been like that since the late mid to late 80s. But that still doesn't necessarily mean that that was the case 100% of the time. After all the Black Watch jerseys in the mid 80s were black, even though, as far as I know, Tech had never worn black jerseys at any time in the past, not since then. Now if someone comes up with a Black Watch replica jersey that is navy, then I will go ballistic....LOL
They were black in the 80’s Black Watch period. I had one. The ACC made us drop black as a primary color. There was a league rule that no two teams could have the same color combinations - Black and gold. WF had league seniority over us, so we had to change. Hello blue. I think we can still use black as a trim color as well as blue.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The entire team wore black jerseys. Don’t believe rules allow you to mix jerseys. Black Watch members had black strip on helmet.
The jerseys and trim on pants remained blue. Only the decals for the “Black Watch” members turned black

Attachments

• A4A7412C-60A7-4269-BA16-8E1D82745EA4.jpeg
    A4A7412C-60A7-4269-BA16-8E1D82745EA4.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 46
They were black in the 80’s Black Watch period. I had one. The ACC made us drop black as a primary color. There was a league rule that no two teams could have the same color combinations - Black and gold. WF had league seniority over us, so we had to change. Hello blue. I think we can still use black as a trim color as well as blue.
That's the first I have heard about the Wake thing with the ACC. Doesn't surprise me though. Stupid ACC

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, but that photo doesn't look black or blue. It looks purple...LOL
However, you are incorrect about the jerseys. They WERE black. Read @neb llarmus' post
I read it, and I’m not doubting the accuracy of it. But many other posters have pointed out that the black watch era jerseys remained blue, not black. As evident by the photo, which clearly shows a black helmet decal, and a jersey that you yourself stated doesn’t look black. I think black would be very easily identifiable in any color format, navy blue though? Probably a little harder to distinguish. Plug all that together and you get a really good case that the jerseys were indeed navy, not black.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
It could be the first year of Black Watch they were black. And due to the WF conflict they changed to a blue.

I didn't get to GT until 1984 and wasn't a huge college football fan until then (I grew up in DC where NFL was king and the team there was worth watching) but from 1984-1986 our dark jerseys were black, as you said. I'm not sure why people are overthinking this. I don't know why we switched to blue when Bobby Ross got here but that's when we switched. I'm not disputing you on the WF thing just saying I did not know that and hadn't ever heard that about why we swapped to blue. I did remember that when we switched to wearing white at home that the only team that wouldn't let us do that was WF.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Sorry.

Beeloney. No conference has ever ruled schools can not have the same colors.

In 85 and curry years the uni was G/Black/G with W trim. But Black Watch had nothing to do with the uni, just helmet trim for a few players.

We went to Blue to be the same as Cremins basketball and because BossRoss liked it.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
The jerseys and trim on pants remained blue. Only the decals for the “Black Watch” members turned black

No, afraid totally false. That picture is bogus as all get out.

The home uni was Gold / Black / Gold. The only difference were the few Black Watch members having a Wide azz Black hat stripe and a solid Black GT logo with no White trim.

When Boss Ross came in we went back to Blue as third color as we had started doing under Fulcher.

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry.

In 85 and curry years the uni was G/Black/G with W trim. But Black Watch had nothing to do with the uni, just helmet trim for a few players.

We went to Blue to be the same as Cremins basketball and because BossRoss liked it.
Well, that was the story I got from folks close to the program back in the 80’s.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

We went to Blue to be the same as Cremins basketball and because BossRoss liked it.[/QUOTE]

I was at GT from 82-85 - I can confirm that at NO time did I believe our trim color was navy blue (I attended both football and basketball games) - always thought it was black, and I had several clothing items from the bookstore that used black. I am not claiming to know what trim/secondary color has been used historically, but when I was attending, it was black. I am in the group that would love to see us do away with blue. I am also in the group that would love for Adidas to provide us a darker, easier to see on white, gold.

No, afraid totally false. That picture is bogus as all get out.

The home uni was Gold / Black / Gold. The only difference were the few Black Watch members having a Wide azz Black hat stripe and a solid Black GT logo with no White trim.

When Boss Ross came in we went back to Blue as third color as we had started doing under Fulcher.
I don't remember us ever wearing anything but white and gold under Fulcher.....no blue or black, other than black trim.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I don't remember us ever wearing anything but white and gold under Fulcher.....no blue or black, other than black trim.

Fulcher was the one that, not only, put us back in a G/W/G uni at home (with helmet stripes & NFL type leggings), he changed trim from GT/DODD/Carson black to blue.

I remember my dad was upset because blue was an auburn color. Invariably the conversation ended when I asked him why he preferred black - a ugag color. :) Good times.

The real solution is for Adidas to develop a proper gold so we only need white trim, and vice versa.

Blue/white
Crimson/white
Orange/white
Cardinal/white
Navy/white
Maroon/white
Burnt Orange/white

GOLD / WHITE

ONLY 1 team could wear Gold & White

Last edited: