2019 GT Official Color Debate (formerly Adidas Swag Watch 2019 **

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
But were those replicas made at the time the actual uniforms were made, or at a later date as a souvenir, like most such gear is made? And I don't disagree that the trim overall since the 90s has been navy; it's probably been like that since the late mid to late 80s. But that still doesn't necessarily mean that that was the case 100% of the time. After all the Black Watch jerseys in the mid 80s were black, even though, as far as I know, Tech had never worn black jerseys at any time in the past, not since then. Now if someone comes up with a Black Watch replica jersey that is navy, then I will go ballistic....LOL
My parents bought me the Joe Ham, Goose Godsey, Kelly Campbell Jersey’s at the time they came out. I bought the Calvin jersey literally the year before he went to the NFL.

I think you said in a thread a while back that you got these overseas right? Highly doubt we can put much stock in what color they trimmed our jerseys in over there.
Actually, most everything Tech sells, possibly even including uniforms, is probably manufactured overseas. Yes, I bought the dolls in Moscow; there were also several other American teams represented in that shop, most notably to me, Clemson (but no Georgia). All the other stuff I own (most of which was given to me), I have no idea where it was made, although there might be a stamp somewhere on them indicating it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Are you saying that the real uniforms had navy trim? Then how do you explain the Calvin jerseys that people have that the numbers and letters are black?
NO ONE has a Calvin Johnson jersey (one that was worn in a game) that has black. It's all navy trim. Bobby Ross changed all the black back to Navy Blue in 1987, when he arrived. No black on any part of our uniform since 1986.

NO ONE has a Calvin Johnson jersey (one that was worn in a game) that has black. It's all navy trim. Bobby Ross changed all the black back to Navy Blue in 1987, when he arrived. No black on any part of our uniform since 1986.
I know Ross did that, and I know that we have not worn black trim since then, but those photos shown do appear to be black, at least on my monitor. If you own one and it's blue, then so be it; no argument.

I think you said in a thread a while back that you got these overseas right? Highly doubt we can put much stock in what color they trimmed our jerseys in over there.
The dolls were made in Russia. The 5 or 6 other items I own that are marked, were all made in China, including last year's Calvin bobblehead doll. Someone somewhere had to supply the specs for the items to be made, otherwise, the Russian dolls would not have the correct names and numbers for the 5 players used. I doubt that the manufacturers came up with their own specs for colors or anything else, which means that whoever at Tech approved their manufacture specified black, and not navy. Once again, Tech marketing.....sigh

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Russian meddling has been documented as being “completely legit” and definitely should be taken into account when analyzing colors of Tech jerseys on wooden dolls. The Chinese should also be held accountable for this travesty. Clearly the overseas manufacturers had our Institute’s primary (not tertiary) colors in mind and wouldn’t have come up with their own colors. Also, you mentioned “names and numbers for the 5 players used”. Did the back of the highly critical and questionable wooden egg-like figurines have names on them? Pics please if so.

Last edited:

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
The dolls were made in Russia. The 5 or 6 other items I own that are marked, were all made in China, including last year's Calvin bobblehead doll. Someone somewhere had to supply the specs for the items to be made, otherwise, the Russian dolls would not have the correct names and numbers for the 5 players used. I doubt that the manufacturers came up with their own specs for colors or anything else, which means that whoever at Tech approved their manufacture specified black, and not navy. Once again, Tech marketing.....sigh
Clearly GT marketing dropped the ball on this. #eyeroll #dropit #wegetyourpoint #supersizewantstodieonthishill

Clearly GT marketing dropped the ball on this. #eyeroll #dropit #wegetyourpoint #supersizewantstodieonthishill
Yes, the dolls ("highly critical and questionable"???) have numbers on the front and names on the back. I will provide a photo later. Just got up and headed to Church. As far as GT marketing dropping the ball, that's a regular thing. Most recently, the absurd idea to distribute navy blue shirts to the students for the Pitt basketball game. The student body looked like the Pitt student body on TV, regardless of the fact that Pitt wore black unis that night. Even Pastner, when asked, said that was Tech marketing.

Yeah, so?

That has nothing to do with the “black watch” uni worn by a small % of the team.
I don't get you there. It wasn't some stripe that identified the ENTIRE team as the Black Watch; it was the black jersey. If the members of the defense wore a special stripe (I don't remember one way or another), then fine, but the jersey was what defined the Black Watch to the fans and media.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I don't get you there. It wasn't some stripe that identified the ENTIRE team as the Black Watch; it was the black jersey. If the members of the defense wore a special stripe (I don't remember one way or another), then fine, but the jersey was what defined the Black Watch to the fans and media.

No sir.

To be a member of the Black Watch you had to have a thick butt wide stripe center line on hat. With a solid black GT logo, no white trim. Those were rewarded to a very small number of D players.

If folks want to call the entire team the Black Watch, I do not care. That is fine. I guess it is similar to ugag calling some of their teams junkyard dwags.

But if the team was called the Black Watch, then it was also the Black Watch that the very next season got embarrassed by furman for the 2nd time in the lofty career of his royal pompousness curry.

However you want to remember the BW is fine by me.

But the fact remains, in the real life present, that our colors are W & G with b as the trim color. The way it is. That doesn’t mean I don’t despise the b pants, or that I will not be surprised what variations of color combos (to include colors not W/G/b) we see in the future of GT unis.

Last edited:

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Dude, if that’s as good as your memory is we need to start double checking your 60s and 70s claims. As Silas said, Curry went with black as our dark jersey. But the “Black Watch” was strictly a small group of defensive players with a black stripe on their helmet and a black GT. The rest of the team wore traditional helmets. That was what defined the Black Watch to everyone but you evidently.

No sir.

To be a member of the Black Watch you had to have a thick butt wide stripe center line on hat. With a solid black GT logo, no white trim. Those were rewarded to a very small number of D players.

If folks want to call the entire team the Black Watch, I do not care. That is fine. I guess it is similar to ugag calling some of their teams junkyard dwags.

But if the team was called the Black Watch, then it was also the Black Watch that the very next season got embarrassed by furman for the 2nd time in the lofty career of his royal pompousness curry.

However you want to remember the BW is fine by me.

But the fact remains, in the real life present, that our colors are W & G with b as the trim color. The way it is. That doesn’t mean I don’t despise the b pants, or that I will not be surprised what variations of color combos (to include colors not W/G/b) we see in the future of GT unis.
I was actually not aware (or perhaps have just forgotten) that only a select few wore an actual Black Watch emblem or logo. I think that is pretty damn cool. I just think of the whole team having the designation Black Watch, because of the defense. At any rate, the black jerseys for the entire team seem to be a reaffirmation of what the few great ones on the team did to actually be a Black Watch. And I agree completely with you about the "lofty career of his royal pompousness curry." I sure didn't shed any tears when he bolted for Bama.

Dude, if that’s as good as your memory is we need to start double checking your 60s and 70s claims. As Silas said, Curry went with black as our dark jersey. But the “Black Watch” was strictly a small group of defensive players with a black stripe on their helmet and a black GT. The rest of the team wore traditional helmets. That was what defined the Black Watch to everyone but you evidently.
As I just posted to Silas, I either never knew or had forgotten about the special logos; I just associate, as I think most probably do, the entire team of that area as the Black Watch, BECAUSE of those special players.