2019 GT Official Color Debate (formerly Adidas Swag Watch 2019 **

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
Quick Mockup of a black helmet if we decide to do a "blackout" lol

L2260-01.jpg

I am generally cool with the alternate uniforms and colors because I think the players like them. And your photoshop skills are excellent! But none of these options really grab me. I just don’t think they look that cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The players, as do most kids and even some adults, like virtually anything new and different, in some cases to their own personal detriment. That certainly doesn't validate the claim that anything the players (or anybody in any situation) like or get excited about is what's best, or even good in an overall sense. Fads come and go, but seldom do true fads last belong the stage of fad-dom (not a real word, but you get my gist) and become universally accepted. My point, as it has always been, is that why sacrifice a long tradition with a fad that will be gone and probably be replaced by something else in a very short time. For example, I offer you the honeycomb design of a few years past. The players were said to have loved it. Now you hardly see it anywhere, and certainly not on the uniforms, with even the honeycomb helmets apparently now having been dished. Navy blue jerseys, even though I personally don't care for them, have been used briefly at random times through the history of Tech football, so I will concede that they are now generally acceptable as tradition, but blue pants, all blue uniforms, blue helmets (OMG), PLEASE, never, never, never again.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
The players, as do most kids and even some adults, like virtually anything new and different, in some cases to their own personal detriment. That certainly doesn't validate the claim that anything the players (or anybody in any situation) like or get excited about is what's best, or even good in an overall sense. Fads come and go, but seldom do true fads last belong the stage of fad-dom (not a real word, but you get my gist) and become universally accepted. My point, as it has always been, is that why sacrifice a long tradition with a fad that will be gone and probably be replaced by something else in a very short time. For example, I offer you the honeycomb design of a few years past. The players were said to have loved it. Now you hardly see it anywhere, and certainly not on the uniforms, with even the honeycomb helmets apparently now having been dished. Navy blue jerseys, even though I personally don't care for them, have been used briefly at random times through the history of Tech football, so I will concede that they are now generally acceptable as tradition, but blue pants, all blue uniforms, blue helmets (OMG), PLEASE, never, never, never again.
The honeycomb pattern is still used pretty frequently (stadium signage, merchandise, and marketing images). The jerseys were not received well by most fans so those were scrapped, but the helmet was used at least once every year after its creation until we switched to Adidas. Obviously Adidas isn't going to roll out a helmet that Russell designed.
Searcy.jpg

The honeycomb pattern is still used pretty frequently (stadium signage, merchandise, and marketing images). The jerseys were not received well by most fans so those were scrapped, but the helmet was used at least once every year after its creation until we switched to Adidas. Obviously Adidas isn't going to roll out a helmet that Russell designed.
Searcy.jpg
Yeah, the honeycomb is still used on field barriers, but I don't remember seeing it much anywhere else. It actually doesn't look all that bad there....sorta presents the image of a hive. But even on the helmets, I thought it stunk. For one thing, you could only see the design close up; it didn't show up from the field to the upper deck in the least. I think they just continued to use them because they had them, nothing more. The jerseys really stunk.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

I think it's not any specific, individual, new thing that excites the kids. I think it's the fact that they will get new and exciting things throughout their time in a program that can be attractive to them. I may not love all the different uniform combos that Oregon puts on their kids but the kids love the fact that they get new and different swag periodically. I agree that there's a lot to be said for tradition. But, to me, there's nothing wrong with changing things up every now and again. I would love to see us do some games with really traditional uniforms and some with cool, modern concept uniforms to show we have both tradition AND that we are all about innovation at GT.

I think it's not any specific, individual, new thing that excites the kids. I think it's the fact that they will get new and exciting things throughout their time in a program that can be attractive to them. I may not love all the different uniform combos that Oregon puts on their kids but the kids love the fact that they get new and different swag periodically. I agree that there's a lot to be said for tradition. But, to me, there's nothing wrong with changing things up every now and again. I would love to see us do some games with really traditional uniforms and some with cool, modern concept uniforms to show we have both tradition AND that we are all about innovation at GT.
I don't generally have any disagreement with what you said, but I just think there has been an overuse of blue in the past several years, and more so with the basketball, volleyball, and softball teams, and it's just not necessary and generally IMO ugly.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
If we can mostly agree that blue pants are hideous, please tell me we mostly agree that blue helmets would be that much worse.

Despite what you think about Michigan State's alternate uniforms, they don't deviate from what their colors are, it just uses different shades of green. I'd be fine with a crazy alternate uniform like that mishmashed with all kinds of crazy shades of yellows and golds and very minor blue accents. No solid blues and no blacks! (no racist)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Wife reads this thread from time to time.
She says she would have never believed grown men would obsess over the colors of the uniform.

Bet we have some guys that dress like David Curry does at the walk up .

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
Searcy.jpg

Why did you post a picture of Navy playing, is that Duke?, at Bobby Dodd?

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
I have never disputed anything you said, but the use of blue through the years, as far as I have been able to determine, has been minimum, except for the the time from the mid 80s to the mid 90s, when we had to wear dark jerseys at home. Why blue was ever chosen over black is what baffles me, other than the fact that black is one of the mutts' primary colors. But we still wore black trim from at least the mid 40s till the 80s. Blue is IMO a bad choice for a secondary color, but it is what it is. I mostly object to all blue uniforms, worn by the basketball, softball, and volleyball teams and overused by the baseball team. I can deal with the blue jerseys for the football teams, although I would still prefer black, if anything other than white or gold, but blue pants or all blue uniforms suck.
IMO Navy Jerseys look way better than black ones.