2019 GT Official Color Debate (formerly Adidas Swag Watch 2019 **

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I'm shocked we haven't come to a decision after 36 pages of debate. Shame on everyone.

Anyway... can anyone justify John Heisman's decision to nickname us the Yellow Jackets when our school colors were white and gold? Or why we didn't quickly change our primary color to yellow? I feel like John Heisman's bad decision is to blame for most of our color ills.

I'd be up for switching to yellow so that our primary color aligns with what half the country thinks it is anyway. Apologies to the 'gold or die' crew, even though I agree with some of your points.
All my friends up here in MI can’t figure us out. I constantly get asked why we’re the “Yellow Jackets” but wear gold/white/navy blue. What is a Rambling Wreck? why do we have a bumblebee mascot and a gold model T ford driving onto the field? Lol

Tech can’t get out of its own way when it comes to branding....

Yes, I know the backstory on the Yellow Jacket part.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Long enough time frame to have most watchers of college football know we wear that combination at home, yes. Preferably I would prefer we go back to wearing gold tops at home.
I’ll repeat myself. MOST watchers of college football think our colors are gold, and blue or black with white as the other color everyone wears. If you are taking GA you might have a point. But what pretty much ALL recognize is the GT

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
Here’s the gist of this thread:

Argument 1): Blue haters: “Blue is not a school color. We do not need to wear blue as a jersey color”

Counter argument 1) Everyone else: *Posts pictures of us wearing blue dating back to the early 1900’s*
————————————————————————
Argument 2) Blue haters: “That doesn’t count. When I was in school in the 60’s we never wore blue”

Counter argument 2) Everyone else: *Posts pictures of us wearing blue in the 60’s*

————————————————————————
Argument 3) Blue haters: “We are white and gold and the only team that wears white and gold. We shouldn’t wear any other color”

Counter argument 3) Everyone else: *Posts pictures of several teams that wear that color combination*

————————————————————————
Argument 4) Blue haters: “That is not their primary uniform, they do not wear that uniform all the time so it doesn’t count”

Counter argument 4: Everyone else: “Refer your above statement to the original argument”
————————————————————————

Jeeze.. I feel like I’m debating with my wife (who is never wrong I might add). This is almost comical.

Edit: I apologize for the formatting, I’m typing this on my phone

THWG

Helluva Engineer

Argument 1): Blue haters: “Blue is not a school color. We do not need to wear blue as a jersey color”

Counter argument 1) Everyone else: *Posts pictures of us wearing blue dating back to the early 1900’s*
————————————————————————
Argument 2) Blue haters: “That doesn’t count. When I was in school in the 60’s we never wore blue”

Counter argument 2) Everyone else: *Posts pictures of us wearing blue in the 60’s*

————————————————————————
Argument 3) Blue haters: “We are white and gold and the only team that wears white and gold. We shouldn’t wear any other color”

Counter argument 3) Everyone else: *Posts pictures of several teams that wear that color combination*

————————————————————————
Argument 4) Blue haters: “That is not their primary uniform, they do not wear that uniform all the time so it doesn’t count”

Counter argument 4: Everyone else: “Refer your above statement to the original argument”
————————————————————————

Jeeze.. I feel like I’m debating with my wife (who is never wrong I might add). This is almost comical.

tumblr_pjchkcUJu41qzwoilo8_250.gif

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

————————————————————————

————————————————————————

————————————————————————

————————————————————————

I think I'm gonna roll navy all season. This ridiculousness has forced my hand.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck

————————————————————————

————————————————————————

————————————————————————

————————————————————————

I say anytime Gold or Super decides to ruin another thread complaining about colors we just quote this post as a reply. There's nothing else that needs to be said.

Even this is false
2017 alone
View attachment 5603
View attachment 5604
View attachment 5605

Man those jerseys look cheap
He said our MAIN home uinis were gold/white/gold, and you're right that jersey in the bottom photo does look cheap. But the gold/white/gold dates way back beyond 10 years. Other than the however many years in the late 80s and early 90s the NCAA stupidly required that all home teams must wear dark jerseys, Tech's MAIN home uniform dating back to the mid to late 40s, if not earlier, has been gold/white/gold.

I'm shocked we haven't come to a decision after 36 pages of debate. Shame on everyone.

Anyway... can anyone justify John Heisman's decision to nickname us the Yellow Jackets when our school colors were white and gold? Or why we didn't quickly change our primary color to yellow? I feel like John Heisman's bad decision is to blame for most of our color ills.

I'd be up for switching to yellow so that our primary color aligns with what half the country thinks it is anyway. Apologies to the 'gold or die' crew, even though I agree with some of your points.
Much of the so-called gold Tech has worn through the years has really been more yellow than gold. But the phrase "white and gold" IIRC predates even Heisman.

I say anytime Gold or Super decides to ruin another thread complaining about colors we just quote this post as a reply. There's nothing else that needs to be said.
This thread is devoted to school colors, so why shouldn't Gold1 and I post accordingly, whether you agree with us or not. The argument that Tech has worn blue since the early 1900's is tenuous at best, since there was no color photography back then. The dark color that Tech wore back then was more than likely brownish in nature, since that was about the only dark color worn by any team in the country prior to the 30s.

————————————————————————

————————————————————————

————————————————————————

————————————————————————

I was in school in the 60s, and I never saw us wearing blue. I didn't attend or see on TV many away games, so I can't swear to what we wore in them, but generally across the nation, teams wore light jerseys on the road and dark colors at home. Tech was the only (or one of few, at any rate) who was able to get visiting teams to allow us to wear white at home, because that meant they could wear their home colors in Atlanta.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Much of the so-called gold Tech has worn through the years has really been more yellow than gold. But the phrase "white and gold" IIRC predates even Heisman.
That's what I'm saying. We were "white and gold" before Heisman. So what does Heisman do (IIUC)? He gives us the nickname 'Yellow Jackets'. Brilliant.

For all the street smarts that we lack as Techies, you'd think at least our book smarts would have prevented a poor decision.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Not ruining it by just replying to people.

This thread is devoted to school colors, so why shouldn't Gold1 and I post accordingly, whether you agree with us or not. The argument that Tech has worn blue since the early 1900's is tenuous at best, since there was no color photography back then. The dark color that Tech wore back then was more than likely brownish in nature, since that was about the only dark color worn by any team in the country prior to the 30s.

The reason I said yall ruined another thread is because this current conversation was not actually started in this thread. This convo was moved from another thread to this one, hence yall ruined the other thread before it was cleaned up by our amazing Mods. :)

That's what I'm saying. We were "white and gold" before Heisman. So what does Heisman do (IIUC)? He gives us the nickname 'Yellow Jackets'. Brilliant.

For all the street smarts that we lack as Techies, you'd think at least our book smarts would have prevented a poor decision.
Actually, I think the term "yellow jackets" predates Heisman too. The name came from the yellow jackets that the men wore to the games, dating back to the 1890s

The reason I said yall ruined another thread is because this current conversation was not actually started in this thread. This convo was moved from another thread to this one, hence yall ruined the other thread before it was cleaned up by our amazing Mods. :)
I disagree that we "ruined another thread," because what each of us posted was in response to a remark that was made. Had that remark not been posted in that thread, I would not have "ruined" it. In fact that remark is what "ruined" that thread and should have immediately been moved to this thread.

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you have proof in your statement that teams prior to the 30’s wore exclusively brown? That is completely false.. the helmets may have been brown.. BECAUSE THEY WERE MADE OF LEATHER. Look at what we wore in 1917

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1917_Georgia_Tech_Golden_Tornado_football_team

1C6DCFA7-5C9B-4E3B-B5F9-BE852C000560.png

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
Well looks like ya'll won. We can't argue if Wikipedia is a source.

And to be honest with you.. I understand that wiki is not a reliable source.. I’m just trying to get him to admit that we wore blue before anything.. Since most uniforms were not just brown. They were dark colors like: BLUE, Black, and Brown.

Do you have proof in your statement that teams prior to the 30’s wore exclusively brown? That is completely false.. the helmets may have been brown.. BECAUSE THEY WERE MADE OF LEATHER. Look at what we wore in 1917

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1917_Georgia_Tech_Golden_Tornado_football_team

View attachment 5607
Since it is not a color photo, you have no more idea than I do as to what the color of the jerseys was. It could have been brown, black, or blue. Interesting, however, that the diagram of the uniform has a gold jersey.