2019 GT Official Color Debate (formerly Adidas Swag Watch 2019 **

Look man. I understand your passion for Tech. I understand that Tech has had great years, and awful years during your fandom. Tech is probably also one of the most historically proud programs in college sports. But if you can say you don’t know what UCLA, Notre Dame, and FSU wear (all teams which are on par with Tech’s tradition, if not more so) then why would anybody outside of Tech fans know what Tech wears? Whether you like it or not, Tech hasn’t been relevant nationally since the 90s. Sure there’s been a few years here or there (‘98, ‘09, ‘14) where Tech has had some national implications, but since 1950, Tech has had just seven 10 win seasons. Compared to other teams in that span:
UGA: 21
Clemson: 14
FSU: 24
UCLA: 8
Notre Dame: 15
Miami: 15
Ohio State: 27

I could continue to go on listing teams like that but there’s no use. Tech has not been good enough consistently to be a nationally recognized brand. Tech’s brand is virtually unrecognizable outside the southeast, and even somewhat within the southeast. A major, major factor of that is because we left the SEC way back when. The average football fan probably thinks as much about Tech as they do about Wake, or Arizona, or Illinois. All proud programs, but not relevant nationally. Leaving the SEC lost us essentially all of our major rivals, and a huge branding advantage. Think about how much more attention GT would get in those years when we bust out 9-11 wins against Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, etc. instead of Pitt, Duke, Syracuse, Boston College, etc. Because guess what, virtually every SEC team has a more recognizable brand than Tech does, and even in sports that aren’t football, like Kentucky basketball, or Vandy baseball.
I do know what those teams wear most of the time, particularly Notre Dame, but none of them wear gold/white/gold in any form that looks anything like Tech. And, as I said in my previous response, I consider some of those in the photos you showed to be butt-ugly. I totally agree with you on all your other points though. Although Dodd's withdrawal from the SEC COULD have been a momentous success, it turned out instead to be a momentous mistake.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I do know what those teams wear most of the time, particularly Notre Dame, but none of them wear gold/white/gold in any form that looks anything like Tech. And, as I said in my previous response, I consider some of those in the photos you showed to be butt-ugly. I totally agree with you on all your other points though. Although Dodd's withdrawal from the SEC COULD have been a momentous success, it turned out instead to be a momentous mistake.

Same way wearing Navy TWICE/yr doesn’t make us look like GaSo, UVA, or whoever else

Same way wearing Navy TWICE/yr doesn’t make us look like GaSo, UVA, or whoever else
But why look like one of those teams even once a year when we don't have to. At least the blue jerseys we have worn with white or gold pants look good, even though I still question using them when we don't have to, like we did in the late 80's and early 90's. But the white/white/blue and the all blue from the bowl game were just flat out ugly.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
32C22B5F-D3C0-4A83-B041-15461C6E4FFA.jpeg

FSU's primary colors are garnet and gold. Since virtually every team in the country wears white jerseys on some occasions, that photo doesn't really prove much. The fact still remains that the gold/white/gold that Tech has worn the vast majority of the time at least since the 40's is unique and awesome looking. And just for the record, I think the all whites are awesome looking too, even though that is relatively new.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
All you do is bring up teams that wear white and gold every once in a while and act like thats their permanent uniform when its really not
If a team wears a uniform as it’s primary road uniform, I wouldn’t consider that “once in a while.” Notre Dame, FSU, and UCLA wear G/W/W for ~6 games a year. I’d say that’s pretty regularly. That doesn’t even count the teams that wear a yellow color and refer to it as gold, like LSU, USC, Minnesota, and the like. Oh and by the way. LSU wears their version of G/W/G for almost every game they play. But hey, keep living in the fantasy world that Tech is a national powerhouse and is the only team that has ever worn any combination of gold and white.

Milwaukee

Banned
All you do is bring up teams that wear white and gold every once in a while and act like thats their permanent uniform when its really not

Huh?? Boston College wears that uniform all the damn time on the road. You keep moving the goalposts and exhausting everyone. I think you and Super are playing an inside joke/game to see if you can drive us crazy.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm shocked we haven't come to a decision after 36 pages of debate. Shame on everyone.

Anyway... can anyone justify John Heisman's decision to nickname us the Yellow Jackets when our school colors were white and gold? Or why we didn't quickly change our primary color to yellow? I feel like John Heisman's bad decision is to blame for most of our color ills.

I'd be up for switching to yellow so that our primary color aligns with what half the country thinks it is anyway. Apologies to the 'gold or die' crew, even though I agree with some of your points.