2019 GT Official Color Debate (formerly Adidas Swag Watch 2019 **

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Gold symbolizes success, superior quality, and white is the color of perfection. We should embrace these 2 colors as our only school colors for sure. However, we do need a trim color, either black or dark navy blue which is almost black. I was hoping we could standardize our colors when we switched to Adidas, but that seems not the case. Regarding colors, the enemy seems not to be Russell or Adidas, but rather our own selves.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

It's a Tech thing.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We have worn blue jerseys several times since the 30s, but we have lost more games wearing them than we have won. That is NOT a tradition that I would claim. But for the majority of years since the 30s, if not before, we have only worn white and gold. Those games in which we wore blue were few and far between.

That is true. Dodd picked those blue jerseys to wear with gold helmets in replacing the Coach Alexander era mustard gold jerseys. We wore them as away uniforms almost exclusively during his tenure.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The ONLY reason we wore blue jerseys at all that year was because of the stupid NCAA rule at that time which forbade home teams from wearing white. That silly rule was put in place sometime in the late 80s and wisely removed in the 90s. As far as having "great success" wearing navy jerseys, we also had great failure wearing them. IMO you don't redefine tradition based solely on the results of two games.
LSU raised hell about that rule until the NCAA specifically gave them an exemption so the Tigers could wear their traditional white jerseys at home. I have seen them wear purple but its rare.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I'm not telling you what I THINK; I telling you what I READ. Some also say the modern era of college football began in 1946, after WWII. In either case, the modern era goes back much further than you apparently THINK.

I would argue the modern era began with full integration, so around 1972 (lsu and the dwags being last). I guess it depends on how one defines modern.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Can we please stop with weird CPJ French fry comment. We didn't look like french fries when we were wearing these or last night in the basketball game.
View attachment 5099
We looked nice in those. All gold like the basketball unis would be [emoji2365]

I don't trust Adidas to make gold unis yet. Wait til they can get consistent with our gold. Mess around and come out looking like spoiled chicken nuggets.

Last edited:

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not telling you what I THINK; I telling you what I READ. Some also say the modern era of college football began in 1946, after WWII. In either case, the modern era goes back much further than you apparently THINK.

Here, READ this
  • 1936 - AP Poll Begins
  • 1946 - Post WW2 Stability
  • 1950 - Beginning of the Coaches Poll (Easier for math in many cases, people like round numbers, and this is after a period of many rule changes)
  • 1965 - AP Poll switches to after Bowl Games making them count for championship consideration
  • 1973 - 105 Scholarship Limit (Beginning of Parity Rules)
  • 1974 - Coaches poll begins to be after Bowl Games
  • 1978 - 95 Scholarship Limit (Split between Div 1-A/Div 1-AA which would become FBS/FCS)
  • 1982 - Teams end transition between Div 1-A/Div 1-AA
  • 1984 - NCAA vs Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma
  • 1992 - 85 Scholarship Limit, First FBS Conference Championship Game, Beginning of the Bowl Coalition
  • 1995 - Bowl Alliance Begins (SWC Collapse ended Bowl Coalition)
  • 1998 - Beginning of the BCS (Rose Bowl, Big 10, Pac 10 join Bowl Alliance)
  • 2014 - Beginning of the College Football Playoff
Every above date has been used as an argument for the beginning of modern football. Now try READING and THINKING.

It’s absurd to consider 1936 college football to be the same era as the modern game. You clearly don’t understand what the word “era” means or football, maybe both.

Good luck

Here, READ this
  • 1936 - AP Poll Begins
  • 1946 - Post WW2 Stability
  • 1950 - Beginning of the Coaches Poll (Easier for math in many cases, people like round numbers, and this is after a period of many rule changes)
  • 1965 - AP Poll switches to after Bowl Games making them count for championship consideration
  • 1973 - 105 Scholarship Limit (Beginning of Parity Rules)
  • 1974 - Coaches poll begins to be after Bowl Games
  • 1978 - 95 Scholarship Limit (Split between Div 1-A/Div 1-AA which would become FBS/FCS)
  • 1982 - Teams end transition between Div 1-A/Div 1-AA
  • 1984 - NCAA vs Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma
  • 1992 - 85 Scholarship Limit, First FBS Conference Championship Game, Beginning of the Bowl Coalition
  • 1995 - Bowl Alliance Begins (SWC Collapse ended Bowl Coalition)
  • 1998 - Beginning of the BCS (Rose Bowl, Big 10, Pac 10 join Bowl Alliance)
  • 2014 - Beginning of the College Football Playoff
Every above date has been used as an argument for the beginning of modern football. Now try READING and THINKING.

It’s absurd to consider 1936 college football to be the same era as the modern game. You clearly don’t understand what the word “era” means or football, maybe both.

Good luck
Obviously, you read the same item I read. IMO, the only two that appear to be actual defining dates are 1936 and 1946, although if adding the AP in 1936 is significant, then I guess adding the coaches poll in 1950 would also be. All the other dates seem meaningless to me as far as being "defining" moments. I doubt you will find any true follower of college football who wouldn't include the 50s and 60s in the modern era.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Navy is a SECONDARY color. Our UNIQUE PRIMARY colors are White and Gold, and by unique, I mean we are the only school in the country, other than Xavier New Orleans, to have those PRIMARY colors. Why eff it up with making a SECONDARY color an alternate one?
Just breathe, man. Just breathe lol.

Most pundits identify the modern era as 1970 and later. The game fundamentally changed after integration.
Integration may have started in the south in the 70s, but northern schools integrated in the early 50s, if not before then. I have never heard anyone say the modern era began later than the 50s. So I'm not sure who these pundits are.

rfripp68

Georgia Tech Fan
You sound a little confused...

Watching the basketball team wear blue unis AT DUKE of all places has made me despise the use of blue even more. Our brand is gold and white, not blue and anything.

[someone says CGC called our colors yellow and black]

I can deal with that. ANYTHING but navy blue !!!

Wait so you are a stickler that "our brand" is gold and white and not blue of any sort but then you are ok with the fact that CGC said our colors were yellow and black? Sounds like maybe you don't really care about white and gold or our brand and that you just hate navy for some strange reason...

If a kid signs with ANY school because of the color of the uniforms, then his priorities are all messed up.

So what would you say about people like you who spend your days arguing on the internet with strangers about uniform color as if it were life and death and become enraged that anyone have the gall to want to use one of our official (secondary, yes, but official nonetheless) colors on a uniform? Is that crazier than signing with a school bc you like the uniforms?

I mean in all honesty if I were deciding between a few schools I saw as equals, I would most certainly pick based on which uniforms I liked better - b/c in the end if that's all that differentiates them in my mind why wouldn't I go where I feel I'd look and feel the best on the field?

Also what did you do in 1990 when we wore navy? Cry about how we weren't winning a natty in the right colors??

You sound a little confused...

[someone says CGC called our colors yellow and black]

Wait so you are a stickler that "our brand" is gold and white and not blue of any sort but then you are ok with the fact that CGC said our colors were yellow and black? Sounds like maybe you don't really care about white and gold or our brand and that you just hate navy for some strange reason...

So what would you say about people like you who spend your days arguing on the internet with strangers about uniform color as if it were life and death and become enraged that anyone have the gall to want to use one of our official (secondary, yes, but official nonetheless) colors on a uniform? Is that crazier than signing with a school bc you like the uniforms?

I mean in all honesty if I were deciding between a few schools I saw as equals, I would most certainly pick based on which uniforms I liked better - b/c in the end if that's all that differentiates them in my mind why wouldn't I go where I feel I'd look and feel the best on the field?

Also what did you do in 1990 when we wore navy? Cry about how we weren't winning a natty in the right colors??
No, I am not ok with someone saying our colors are yellow and black, but that combo at least makes sense in terms of the yellow jacket insect. I don't consider my reason for hating navy to be strange. I don't like looking like Pitt or UVA or (sometimes) Auburn, or ND, or who knows how many other schools wear blue uniforms. Ours is unique, so why change it? I spend time "arguing" on the internet, because I am retired and have nothing better to do that I actually WANT to do....LOL If the uniforms are all that differentiate schools in a recruit's mind, then he must be pretty shallow in his thinking. And yes, I CRINGED in 1990 when we came out wearing blue jerseys, but since we had been forced by the NCAA to wear them (although we could have chosen black) throughout that season (and a couple more), I wasn't surprised.

rfripp68

Georgia Tech Fan
No, I am not ok with someone saying our colors are yellow and black, but that combo at least makes sense in terms of the yellow jacket insect. I don't consider my reason for hating navy to be strange. I don't like looking like Pitt or UVA or (sometimes) Auburn, or ND, or who knows how many other schools wear blue uniforms. Ours is unique, so why change it? I spend time "arguing" on the internet, because I am retired and have nothing better to do that I actually WANT to do....LOL If the uniforms are all that differentiate schools in a recruit's mind, then he must be pretty shallow in his thinking. And yes, I CRINGED in 1990 when we came out wearing blue jerseys, but since we had been forced by the NCAA to wear them (although we could have chosen black) throughout that season (and a couple more), I wasn't surprised.

I get that you don't want us to be navy all the time - I agree with you there...but every team in the country has a white uniform, so saying that is unique to us is not entirely true. We are one of only a few (LSU, maybe others I dunno) that regularly wear white at home. I also agree we should wear gold unis some too - anything to break up the monotony of white - however just white or gold is still pretty bland which is why navy unis are a breath of fresh air.

And yes I agree that if that is the #1 factor for a recruit that is extremely shallow - but I said assuming the recruit sees the schools he is choosing between as equals. Plus even if it is not equal, having fun/different uni options that look nice and aren't the same thing over and over can't ever hurt.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Man, the whining about wearing white when it’s cold is really old.

Just layer up with whatever keeps you warm, and then put a white GT polo or t-shirt over it. This is not hard.

Definitely what I do. 4 layers with my white GT hoodie on top. I just think white outs (anywhere) are silly in cold weather. Just my opinion. If the team likes it, I am fine with it.