2019 GT Official Color Debate (formerly Adidas Swag Watch 2019 **

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
Man, the whining about wearing white when it’s cold is really old.

Just layer up with whatever keeps you warm, and then put a white GT polo or t-shirt over it. This is not hard.
I totally agree, and that's what I do. But 75% of other people don't or won't so it sucks having them when it's cold.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Integration may have started in the south in the 70s, but northern schools integrated in the early 50s, if not before then. I have never heard anyone say the modern era began later than the 50s. So I'm not sure who these pundits are.

It really depends on your definition. Some define the modern era as the widespread use of the two platoon system (1960's). Others, like me, define it to coincide with integration and the impact on the physicality of teams. Others, define it as 1973 when the NCAA divided itself into Division 1, Division 2, and Division 3.

To me, it doesn't matter which one you use as long as the comparisons are consistent. I seldom use, for examples, statistics prior to 1970 because the game, the money, the players ... are vastly different.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Most pundits identify the modern era as 1970 and later. The game fundamentally changed after integration.

I think that timing is VERY significant in the game. It is a shame that it took that long for integration to happen, but
It really depends on your definition. Some define the modern era as the widespread use of the two platoon system (1960's). Others, like me, define it to coincide with integration and the impact on the physicality of teams. Others, define it as 1973 when the NCAA divided itself into Division 1, Division 2, and Division 3.

To me, it doesn't matter which one you use as long as the comparisons are consistent. I seldom use, for examples, statistics prior to 1970 because the game, the money, the players ... are vastly different.

I agree with all that you say, and it is very interesting that our 3 somewhat undisputed NC's are before that date as well. Many, CBR really did "hit lightning in a bottle" in 1990. He has really made all other coaches at GT have to define success that way to some degree, and I just don't know how realistic or fair that is.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Penn State does a whiteout every year that looks boss. They play where it is actually cold. Our fans need to cow[insert gender here] up and roll with the team. If you're cold jump around and stamp your feet in the stands.

Though, it is ironic they word navy jerseys in the video.. haha

Well, if we cannot even get the gold seat folks to be in their seats at kickoff (by the way, I am hoping CGC takes the risk to "call them out" at some point), how in the world are we ever going to pull something like this off like PSU with their fanbase? Personally, I could care less for these gimmicks, but if it helps the team, I will support it always.

Like I said before, you are only considering integration IN THE SOUTH as a delimiter. Did you know that Tech refused to play Michigan in 1934 unless the black player on the Michigan team did not play. Michigan ultimately agreed, although not without considerable controversy, and they won 9-2, their only win that year. And there was also the Sugar Bowl in 1956, when Ga governor Ellis Arnold attempted to prevent Tech from playing Pitt because of a black player on the team. Dodd rejected Arnold's demand and went on to play and beat Pitt. I don't see why integration IN THE SOUTH (which didn't come till the 70s) should be a defining mark for all of college football.
Incidentally, some (though a very few, I imagine) define the modern era as having begun with the introduction of the forward pass in 1906.

I think the same. I figured the NCST Thursday nite game since it’s a guaranteed prime time kick or the UGA game would be the obvious choices.
Hell, no to bringing out some "unique" new uni for COFH. That game has virtually always been gold and white, except I guess for the period of time when the NCAA wouldn't let us wear white jerseys at home. Back in the 50s and early 60s, if not before, it was the "yellow britches" vs the "silver britches", since until Dooley, the mutts wore silver pants.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Like I said before, you are only considering integration IN THE SOUTH as a delimiter. Did you know that Tech refused to play Michigan in 1934 unless the black player on the Michigan team did not play. Michigan ultimately agreed, although not without considerable controversy, and they won 9-2, their only win that year. And there was also the Sugar Bowl in 1956, when Ga governor Ellis Arnold attempted to prevent Tech from playing Pitt because of a black player on the team. Dodd rejected Arnold's demand and went on to play and beat Pitt. I don't see why integration IN THE SOUTH (which didn't come till the 70s) should be a defining mark for all of college football.
Incidentally, some (though a very few, I imagine) define the modern era as having begun with the introduction of the forward pass in 1906.

There is no standard for how the "modern" game is defined. I define it as 1970 and beyond. It's how I do it. And I will defend it as: It includes the MAJORITY of teams being integrated, widespread use of the two platoon system, and the expansion of television coverage which changed recruiting patterns.

You may not like it, but it's how I do it. And when I present statistics, they are usually done with a) overall and b) since 1970 for comparison (you'll frequently see long term trends that don't hold up since 1970 and it's a clear break).

Wanna do it another way. Go ahead.

There is no standard for how the "modern" game is defined. I define it as 1970 and beyond. It's how I do it. And I will defend it as: It includes the MAJORITY of teams being integrated, widespread use of the two platoon system, and the expansion of television coverage which changed recruiting patterns.

You may not like it, but it's how I do it. And when I present statistics, they are usually done with a) overall and b) since 1970 for comparison (you'll frequently see long term trends that don't hold up since 1970 and it's a clear break).

Wanna do it another way. Go ahead.
First thing I think you and I have disagreed on, but it's really no biggie.

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
We went undefeated in 1990 wearing navy at home, and the year before that we beat U(sic)GA at home wearing Navy jerseys. We never beat U(sic)GA wearing black jerseys. When was the last time we beat ugag wearing gold jerseys or black jerseys??? white jerseys should be our primary color. And gold and navy should be alternate jerseys. We should wear black jerseys like once every two seasons. And Navy jerseys once a year to honor the great GT teams of the late 80s and early 90s. And mix in Gold jerseys a couple of teams each year at home.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We went undefeated in 1990 wearing navy at home, and the year before that we beat U(sic)GA at home wearing Navy jerseys. We never beat U(sic)GA wearing black jerseys. When was the last time we beat ugag wearing gold jerseys or black jerseys??? white jerseys should be our primary color. And gold and navy should be alternate jerseys. We should wear black jerseys like once every two seasons. And Navy jerseys once a year to honor the great GT teams of the late 80s and early 90s. And mix in Gold jerseys a couple of teams each year at home.

This is why our branding is a mess. The Institute has already chosen its colors ... Old Gold and White. With Blue as a tertiary color (which means, limited use).

That’s it. WL records shouldn’t impact your brand identity ....

Look at UT. They canned the Smoky uniforms as Pruitt declared, “Our colors are Orange and White and we play in the university colors.”

Not sure why this is hard to understand.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
This is why our branding is a mess. The Institute has already chosen its colors ... Old Gold and White. With Blue as a tertiary color (which means, limited use).

That’s it. WL records shouldn’t impact your brand identity ....

Look at UT. They canned the Smoky uniforms as Pruitt declared, “Our colors are Orange and White and we play in the university colors.”

Not sure why this is hard to understand.
Just wear white or gold mainly and then wear blue maybe once a year. It's really not that hard but the GTAA messes it up every year

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
Point of history, the Tech student body integrated in the early ‘60’s. Without incident.

slugboy

Staff member
Is this gold or blue?
220px-The_Dress_%28viral_phenomenon%29.png

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Not in the 60s when I was in school. We wore white shirts and gold pants home and away.
True. They did wear them in the early 60s in an away game to Rice who was in the top ten at the time (funny how things change isn't it?) Other than that, they wore them in the 1950s. I do not remember ever seeing Tech wear the blue jerseys at home during the 1960s.