2019 GT Official Color Debate (formerly Adidas Swag Watch 2019 **

True. They did wear them in the early 60s in an away game to Rice who was in the top ten at the time (funny how things change isn't it?) Other than that, they wore them in the 1950s. I do not remember ever seeing Tech wear the blue jerseys at home during the 1960s.
Since the only away Tech games I might have seen in the 50s would have been on TV, I have no idea what they wore. But I can't imagine Tech wearing anything other than white and gold, since that uniform was recognized nationwide.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think that timing is VERY significant in the game. It is a shame that it took that long for integration to happen, but

I agree with all that you say, and it is very interesting that our 3 somewhat undisputed NC's are before that date as well. Many, CBR really did "hit lightning in a bottle" in 1990. He has really made all other coaches at GT have to define success that way to some degree, and I just don't know how realistic or fair that is.

I don't care what anyone says, there is nothing "undisputed" about that 1990 national championship team. They beat a pretty good Nebraska team in the Citrus Bowl, a two touchdown underdog mind you, and they beat a number one ranked Virginia team away. The offense was sometimes inconsistent but brother let me tell you they could score points in a hurry. There is nothing "undisputed" about the 1952 team either with 6 All Americans of one kind or another and they were not seriously challenged the whole season and beat two top 10 teams in Duke and Alabama soundly.

I don't care what anyone says, there is nothing "undisputed" about that 1990 national championship team. They beat a pretty good Nebraska team in the Citrus Bowl, a two touchdown underdog mind you, and they beat a number one ranked Virginia team away. The offense was sometimes inconsistent but brother let me tell you they could score points in a hurry. There is nothing "undisputed" about the 1952 team either with 6 All Americans of one kind or another and they were not seriously challenged the whole season and beat two top 10 teams in Duke and Alabama soundly.
The 1990 NC should not be disputed, if for no other reason, because Colorado was GIVEN a win against Mizzou with 5 downs. I know you can't overturn a call after the game ends, but the people who voted in the AP poll knew what had happened and ignored it.
Regarding 1952, I actually thought we had 7 All Americans, but regardless, Mich State only played 9 games and didn't go to a bowl. Tech played 11 games AND a bowl game. There should never have even been a discussion about it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Most pundits identify the modern era as 1970 and later. The game fundamentally changed after integration.

That it did. Eddie McAshan (spelling?) was our first black quarterback about 1972 or thereabouts. Texas was the last all white team to win a national championship in 1969. They had Steve Wooster and a couple of locomotives at halfback in the wishbone and they just about ran over anyone that got in their way.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The 1990 NC should not be disputed, if for no other reason, because Colorado was GIVEN a win against Mizzou with 5 downs. I know you can't overturn a call after the game ends, but the people who voted in the AP poll knew what had happened and ignored it.
Regarding 1952, I actually thought we had 7 All Americans, but regardless, Mich State only played 9 games and didn't go to a bowl. Tech played 11 games AND a bowl game. There should never have even been a discussion about it.

Ridiculous that officials could not keep track of downs. There was also the punt return for a touchdown by Notre Dame in the bowl game against Colorado that was negated due to a questionable clipping call. Anyway, the coaches thought we should be number one anyway.

That it did. Eddie McAshan (spelling?) was our first black quarterback about 1972 or thereabouts. Texas was the last all white team to win a national championship in 1969. They had Steve Wooster and a couple of locomotives at halfback in the wishbone and they just about ran over anyone that got in their way.
I think too many have forgotten him, but Greg Horne was our first black RB, and he was great !!!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Obviously, you read the same item I read. IMO, the only two that appear to be actual defining dates are 1936 and 1946, although if adding the AP in 1936 is significant, then I guess adding the coaches poll in 1950 would also be. All the other dates seem meaningless to me as far as being "defining" moments. I doubt you will find any true follower of college football who wouldn't include the 50s and 60s in the modern era.

The move from single platoon to two platoon football / unlimited substitutions and integration are a whole lot more significant than any silly poll.

The former occurred in roughly 1964 and since then we have had defensive, offensive, and special teams units.

Integration can’t be pinned to any particular year exactly as it occurred over a period of time in different areas of the country. Even Alabama began to integrate after 1970 though.

For my mind....”two platoon” football began the modern era. Most famously LSUs Chinese bandits defense. Culminating in the 1964 rules changes.

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
True. They did wear them in the early 60s in an away game to Rice who was in the top ten at the time (funny how things change isn't it?) Other than that, they wore them in the 1950s. I do not remember ever seeing Tech wear the blue jerseys at home during the 1960s.
All I recall 1958-1962 at home was gold britches, white jersey (blue/black/gold trem), & gold helmet.

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
The move from single platoon to two platoon football / unlimited substitutions and integration are a whole lot more significant than any silly poll.

The former occurred in roughly 1964 and since then we have had defensive, offensive, and special teams units.

Integration can’t be pinned to any particular year exactly as it occurred over a period of time in different areas of the country. Even Alabama began to integrate after 1970 though.

For my mind....”two platoon” football began the modern era. Most famously LSUs Chinese bandits defense. Culminating in the 1964 rules changes.
LSU had two other teams - what were they called?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Not in the 60s when I was in school. We wore white shirts and gold pants home and away.

We beat usc in la wearing g/w/w. Several times wore the same combo at home. Playing auburn in BHam once we wore the gold hats, white pants and some of the ugliest, truly piss yellow shirts you ever saw.

But, yes, most of the time we wore g/w/g, except for Dodd’s last season (maybe slightly longer) when we went to w/w/g.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
We went undefeated in 1990 wearing navy at home, and the year before that we beat U(sic)GA at home wearing Navy jerseys. We never beat U(sic)GA wearing black jerseys. When was the last time we beat ugag wearing gold jerseys or black jerseys??? white jerseys should be our primary color. And gold and navy should be alternate jerseys. We should wear black jerseys like once every two seasons. And Navy jerseys once a year to honor the great GT teams of the late 80s and early 90s. And mix in Gold jerseys a couple of teams each year at home.

We beat ugag wearing Black shirts at home in 1985.

Beat them wearing Gold shirts in Athens in 1970.