2019 ACC Baseball

Deleted member 2897

Here is the list of ACC teams yet to sweep a conference series after 6 weekends:

Ga Tech (11-7)
WF (9-9)
ND (8-10)
BC (7-11)
VT (6-12)
PITT (3-15)

I'm not complaining...but which one of these is not like the other ones.

Well, part of the reason we haven’t swept anybody yet is that we haven’t had the pleasure of playing VT or Pitt.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
On the weekly ACC guesses - 5 guessed right and two way way off. I'm still somewhat lucky unlike NC State:
  • #17 GT (13 rpi) @BC (74 rpi). GT 2-1 or better. GT 2-1. I am trying to not get my expectations too high. But seeing D1 Baseball Eric Soreneon picking GT in the 8 for Omaha this week is not helping keep my expectations down.
  • #20 L'Ville (10) @#3 NC State (21). L'Ville 2-1. L'Ville 3-0!! 34 runs to 15 for the weekend. Wow. Helped our RPI since we don't play NC State. This is the marquee Atlantic game without question. NC State has just dropped two in a row (@BC & Coastal) and lost the horse shoe jammed up an orifice. Somewhat of an upset pick given @NC State where they are 16-3 this year. But they have lost most of their 5 games at home. (I can use stats to justify whatever I want.)
  • WF(96) @Pitt (210). WF 2-1 or better. WF 2-1. Pitt is bad. The crappy Pitt field should help them but they are 2-7 @ home. WF is coming on & has a good pitching staff.
  • #21 UNC (18) @ND (124). UNC 2-1. UNC 2-1. Hard to sweep ND.
  • #16 Clemson (19) @ FSU (97). Clemson 2-1. FSU 3-0. With a 67 rpi, I think FSU is going to need to win the ACC tourney to get in. But still 4 ACC weekends to go. But I'm glad we don't play them this year. This will be close. I think it's ironic Martin's last season coaching is probably going to end without an NCAA bid for the first time. Looking at his record is amazing; even given the talent he had. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Martin_(baseball_coach)
  • VT (40) @Duke (79). Duke 2-1. Duke 2-1. Still the Chokies. This is an upset pick. @Duke swept a bad Pitt team last week, although one game was a 2-0 and another 10 inning win. Mostly from how VT has been dropping close games. They stop being the Chokies could easily win the series. I enjoy looking down on both these Coastal teams (in more ways than one).
  • Miami (32) @ UVa (88). UVa 2-1. Miami 3-0. Wow I was off and so is UVa. UVa will miss NCAAs again unless they win the ACC Tourney (won't happen.) Another upset pick. Young Miami talent versus UVa coaching @home (16-4 @ home this year). This is probably more an aspirational pick since I want UVa to win; since it's so close I'd rather pick UVa and be wrong than pick Miami and be wrong.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
On the weekly ACC guesses - 5 guessed right and two way way off. I'm still somewhat lucky unlike NC State:
  • #17 GT (13 rpi) @BC (74 rpi). GT 2-1 or better. GT 2-1. I am trying to not get my expectations too high. But seeing D1 Baseball Eric Soreneon picking GT in the 8 for Omaha this week is not helping keep my expectations down.
  • #20 L'Ville (10) @#3 NC State (21). L'Ville 2-1. L'Ville 3-0!! 34 runs to 15 for the weekend. Wow. Helped our RPI since we don't play NC State. This is the marquee Atlantic game without question. NC State has just dropped two in a row (@BC & Coastal) and lost the horse shoe jammed up an orifice. Somewhat of an upset pick given @NC State where they are 16-3 this year. But they have lost most of their 5 games at home. (I can use stats to justify whatever I want.)
  • WF(96) @Pitt (210). WF 2-1 or better. WF 2-1. Pitt is bad. The crappy Pitt field should help them but they are 2-7 @ home. WF is coming on & has a good pitching staff.
  • #21 UNC (18) @ND (124). UNC 2-1. UNC 2-1. Hard to sweep ND.
  • #16 Clemson (19) @ FSU (97). Clemson 2-1. FSU 3-0. With a 67 rpi, I think FSU is going to need to win the ACC tourney to get in. But still 4 ACC weekends to go. But I'm glad we don't play them this year. This will be close. I think it's ironic Martin's last season coaching is probably going to end without an NCAA bid for the first time. Looking at his record is amazing; even given the talent he had. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Martin_(baseball_coach)
  • VT (40) @Duke (79). Duke 2-1. Duke 2-1. Still the Chokies. This is an upset pick. @Duke swept a bad Pitt team last week, although one game was a 2-0 and another 10 inning win. Mostly from how VT has been dropping close games. They stop being the Chokies could easily win the series. I enjoy looking down on both these Coastal teams (in more ways than one).
  • Miami (32) @ UVa (88). UVa 2-1. Miami 3-0. Wow I was off and so is UVa. UVa will miss NCAAs again unless they win the ACC Tourney (won't happen.) Another upset pick. Young Miami talent versus UVa coaching @home (16-4 @ home this year). This is probably more an aspirational pick since I want UVa to win; since it's so close I'd rather pick UVa and be wrong than pick Miami and be wrong.
This sweep of Clemson may save FSU... depending, of course, on how they do rest of way. If the selection committee has any 'sentimental' tendencies, I would hate to be a bubble team with Mike Martin/FSU finishing in middle of ACC (i.e. in the 6th-8th spot). FSU tied for 5th with UNC & Miami right now.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Somehow VT losing the series to Duke raised their RPI by 14, up to #43.

That makes this weekend's series Q1 (top 50) and a potential resume bump. We're currently 9-7 in Q1 games, with 4 more this week including Auburn. Anything we can do to look more appealing as a host...

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We’re up to #10 in the live RPI after the win tonight. And have played a staggering 17 games against the rest of the Top 20 - almost half the schedule so far. 10-7 in those games.

1) UCLA (1-2)
4) Louisville (2-1)
5) UGA (1-1)
15) WVU (1-0)
16) Auburn (2-0)
18) Miami (1-2)
20) UNC (2-1)
I didn't think WVU was that good. That win just looks so much better.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Yeah the VT game being cancelled tonight is unlucky with the Thursday start this weekend. Hopefully Curry can go deep and it doesn’t matter.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
We’re up to #10 in the live RPI after the win tonight. And have played a staggering 17 games against the rest of the Top 20 - almost half the schedule so far. 10-7 in those games.

1) UCLA (1-2)
4) Louisville (2-1)
5) UGA (1-1)
15) WVU (1-0)
16) Auburn (2-0)
18) Miami (1-2)
20) UNC (2-1)

And the 2-1 @ LOU and 1-2 @ MIA could easily be 3-0 and 2-1, respectively. I was at both of those series.

Deleted member 2897

No. Link? I actually assumed it was something legit. F'ing Hokies. The worst Virginia has to offer.

Their Tuesday opponent (High Point) had their weekend series bleed over until Monday due to weather. Since VT and them both have a series that starts on Thursday this week, they both agreed to just cancel the game and recover. It was as simple as that, sadly.

It’s silly really - VT was to play today AT High Point. So High Point was already at home. VT gets extra rest and gets to duck an away game and travel for no valid reason on their part.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Their Tuesday opponent had their weekend series bleed over until Monday due to weather. Since VT and them both have a series that starts on Thursday this week, they both agreed to just cancel the game and recover. It was as simple as that, sadly.
How convenient. One way to not lose is to not play, I suppose. I want a sweep in Blacksburg!

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Their Tuesday opponent (High Point) had their weekend series bleed over until Monday due to weather. Since VT and them both have a series that starts on Thursday this week, they both agreed to just cancel the game and recover. It was as simple as that, sadly.

It’s silly really - VT was to play today AT High Point. So High Point was already at home. VT gets extra rest and gets to duck an away game and travel for no valid reason on their part.

If we lose a game to VT because they didn't play High Point, well, I'm not drinking enough...

I know it's hard to sweep in the ACC, let alone on the road, but I really, really want this one.