2019 ACC Baseball

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Boyd does an RPI needs report.

For GT to guarantee a Top 8 finish we need to win 17 of our remains 18 games. Georgia only needs to win 11-12 of their remaining 18 games

He assumes all teams maintain their current Winning %

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has now lost 6 in a row. A game left tomorrow against Duke and then 2 mid week games. This is now a must win series, as opposed to a nice to win series against a highly rated team earlier in the season.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Meanwhile, don't look in the rearview mirror, but Duke has won 9 of their last 10 games, including a 7-1 record in ACC games (which admittedly does include a sweep of Pitt, but still....)

Deleted member 2897

Log jams in the ACC. It’s good to have tiebreakers over almost everyone. Only Louisville has a better ACC record. And we own that tiebreaker too.

2-2 this week against uGA and Clemson will be hard, but a good result. Then we get Western Carolina. We could easily be 32-15 in a bit.

Honest to Pete I just want to beat Clemson in Game 1. We’ve got to break that streak.

How do you think we finish the season, and do you think it will be good enough to host a regional?

Here’s how I think we end the regular season.

ACC - 6-3 with Clemson, @ Duke, Pitt left
Non-Conf - 4-1 with ugag, Mercer, W Car x 3 left

Overall - 37-17
ACC - 19-11

Will that get it done or will we need a couple wins in pool play to lock up an Atlanta Regional?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
How do you think we finish the season, and do you think it will be good enough to host a regional?

Here’s how I think we end the regular season.

ACC - 6-3 with Clemson, @ Duke, Pitt left
Non-Conf - 4-1 with ugag, Mercer, W Car x 3 left

Overall - 37-17
ACC - 19-11

Will that get it done or will we need a couple wins in pool play to lock up an Atlanta Regional?
With that resume we will host, but not be a Top 8 seed.

Deleted member 2897

After the past 10 or so years, just being in the discussion for a Regional is awesome.

Hope this week turns out like Ramblin Man predicted but I get the feeling like we go 1-3 this week and finish the season 9-1.

1-3 wouldn’t be bad, it would be underwhelming for sure...probably drop 4 spots in the rankings. 4 ranked games this week. 2-2 would be okay, and let us tread water in the rankings. Anything beyond that would be amazing.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am really hoping against hope that we go 3-1.

Problem is that Willingham has been VERY shaky in his last two outings, roughed up badly by both UGa and Auburn (iirc), so the prospects of him doing well in Game 3 vs UGa are not good.

On the other hand, if Hurter is injured and has to miss a start, I imagine we'll hold Willingham out and try the staff day approach at Suntrust vs The Dwags. While I would NOT want that for Hurter's sake (and our chances vs Clemson), it might not be such a bad idea vs Georgia. Some of our pitchers they haven't seen as much might fare pretty well against them (I'm thinking Roedig, Bartnicki, Carpenter specifically, all of whom seem to be pitching just a little better recently).

Either way, if Uga pitches well against us I think we lose that game, as I doubt that we will hold them down to less than 4 runs.

Clemson, on the other hand, is going so poorly right now ...I honestly expect to win that series 2-1. I think we'll lose the third game this time around.

So, I think the Uga game will dictate whether we go 2-2 or 3-1. Win that game, go 3-1, and we have a shot at a Top 8 seed. Lose that game, go 2-2, and I think we have a host Regional well in hand. Won't even think about doing any worse than 2-2.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
1-3 wouldn’t be bad, it would be underwhelming for sure...probably drop 4 spots in the rankings. 4 ranked games this week. 2-2 would be okay, and let us tread water in the rankings. Anything beyond that would be amazing.

Clemson will not be ranked next week. Lost first 2 at home against Duke and losing the 3rd today in the 4th. RPI now in the 30's. It has now become a must win series versus a nice to win series.

Ramblin'Man

Banned
Clemson will not be ranked next week. Lost first 2 at home against Duke and losing the 3rd today in the 4th. RPI now in the 30's. It has now become a must win series versus a nice to win series.

Yeah, Im not liking the way the series is setting up vs Clemson. They are going to be backed into a corner and will come out swinging against us, a series win for them over us would help salvage their season.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Duke now up 8-3 in the 5th. Clemson has lost 6 straight and 7/8. Rooting for Clemson to win this one so that they're not as mad when we see them, and to keep Duke further behind us in the division. Although, perhaps having Clemson come in with a 7 game conference losing streak will put more pressure on them and we can take advantage of that. Who knows?

BC beating UNC 6-4 in the 6th. I hope they hold on. A shame that UNC won both games of a DH yesterday by one run each, both in 11 innings...