2019-2020 GT Hoops Schedule

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Per an AJC article that I won't link to, we'll also have Elon & Ball State at home and we have 2 OOC slots to fill.

OOC to date:
Arkansas, Elon, Ball State, Delaware State at home
ACC/B1G game, likely at home
UGA on the road
3 games at the Diamond Head Classic

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ball State is one of the Diamond Head Classic so I bet that is one of the 3 games for that. it is also a pretty solid program - was #134 in KenPom last year - right next to UGA.

Del St and Elon are awful teams. Though with Elon we get to see Mike Schrage.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Ball State is one of the Diamond Head Classic so I bet that is one of the 3 games for that. it is also a pretty solid program - was #134 in KenPom last year - right next to UGA.

Schrage just landed Isaiah Washington as well

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow

Exempt tournaments (Hawaii tournament), allow the teams to play one more game against a team in the tournament within so many (I think 14) days of the tournament. Ball State game is the '4th' game there for GT. I have not seen tourney brackets, but assume Ball State is in the 'other' half of the draw.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Adding the Nebraska at GT on 12/4 that was just mentioned in another thread.

GT certainly isn't going light on the schedule this year.

We have 2 OOC games against really poor competition, but pretty much all the all OOC games so far are against decent or better teams.
it looks like GT will only have 2-3 weak opponents in the OOC, with 20 ACC games if it gets to 18-19 wins it could get pretty interesting as its SOS is likely to be pretty high.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, Nebraska will be a completely new team under Fred Hoiberg next season, It had 8 players either graduate or transfer out after Tim Miles was fired. Basically their entire primary roster left.
Hoiberg as is his custom is going hard in the transfer market. He has multiple grad transfers, a couple of transfers that were sitting out last year and then a number of FR.
Getting them early in the season is probably an advantage as Hoiberg has a lot of parts he is going to have to put together.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So now we add a road game at KY. That's a likely loss but it will definitely be good for the SoS. (2019/2018 KenPom rankings in parentheses)

So we know we have
11/20 @UGA (132/65)
11/25 ARK (54/44) - new coach
12/4 Neb (47/55) - new coach
12/14 @KY (8/17)
12/22 Boise St (139/61) (neutral) - 5pm ET
12/23 Houston (12/18) or Portland (326/272) (neutral) - 4:30 or 7 pm ET
12/25 third Diamond Head Classic Game (Washington (48/98), UTEP (299/240), Ball St (133/173), Hawaii (201/200))

Home games
Del St (352/350)
Elon (309/248) - new coach
Ball St (133/173)

That's 10 OOC games. 5 home, 2 away, 3 neutral. I think we can add one more game due to the Diamond Head Classic.
Also, keep in mind GT opens the season at NCST on 11/5. I would then think we likely have at least 2 of those home games between NCST and UGA.

That is 5 Power conference teams in the first 5 weeks of the season.
Also, that Boise St game is really important. They had a down year last year but have been a very good team for the last half decade (had like 5 straight 20 win seasons before last year). Really need to beat them to get Houston.

Last edited:

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Looking at that schedule i see 7-3 possibly 8-3 if we can add an extra game. I think the losses come to UGA, Kentucky and Boise or Houston.
Not a bad start. Need to get to at least .500 in ACC play. That’s 18-13. Win 1 in Charlotte and we could be a first four/bubble type team.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Elon game might be a potential sneak preview and I'll leave that statement open to interpretation and imagination.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I really like Washington's roster and I am a lowkey Houston fan this year with some of my favorite recruits: Caleb Mills, Cedrick Alley Jr, and Nate Hinton being on the team. I don't know the status on Grimes from Kansas but Houston should be very tough and athletic.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
ACC schedule will be released Thursday night.

ACCN will televise it. Seems odd to me. It's not selection sunday. It's just the friggin dates & times for games. Guess Darth Swofford has to fill all those empty hours with some kind of programming