2018 schedule

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I've said this before.

I don't think TM looked any better or any worse then Nesbitt did in his first starting year. Same trouble with reads on the option, same tendency to keep the ball, same good mechanics on deep throws - so-so on short ones, same problems linking up with the WRs. But we remember him fondly for that year. Because of Dwyer. Having a great BB made all the difference, especially against the Dwags. Now you know why I so regret the actions against Mills, no matter how understandable. Benson did great things this year, but Mills gives us two wins out of the three slop games and gets the 2 points against UT.

Well, if TM improves as much between his first and second seasons as Nesbitt did, then things will be pretty good at QB. We still don't have a Dwyer, but Benson is no slouch and has a year under his belt. Do either of these factors mean that TM remains our starting QB? No, that'll be up to developments over spring and fall. Does it mean that TM will be better next year, if he starts? Yep, almost certainly. Does that also mean that if someone beats him out we'll be in even better shape? Yep, almost certainly.

The main thing about next years schedule is that it won't be as fierce as the one this year. We had an horrendous SoS this year, usually in the top 10. Next year … well, not so much, mainly because the ACC will not be as strong and we'll be better. Depend on that. Then all we have to do is get the Football Gods back on our side …

Kirvonte just might be the best Bback since the days of Dwyer and AA. I don't think I would put him ahead of those two because they were so big and physical. I really do not consider him better than Mills and Marshall just different. He is still improving and we will see what 2018 brings. Personally, I am more concerned about Aback play and line depth than anything. Oh, lest I forget replacing Ricky. That will be tough to do.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
With the db talent ( taller / more stars) and a dl that showed life in 17 and a demand ( roof gone) by coach that defense be active, we will have much more to cheer for at BDS in 18. The offense could get in gear. Will will Bryan continue to as lean mean guard/ out or will he go back to power o g physique. What happens w the Morgan twin? Could we have a lot more rotation in the ol? What about giving both Taquan and Lucas time in games? So much for 2018!
We will continue season tickets , drive 5 hours each way, get 2 days hotel so we can watch the jackets. BDS is a great place on Saturday. Can't imagine why alumni that live near Gt don't attend.
See you there!
Will is going to be 300 lb plus and lean. Its his SR year and he is going to be huge. I will make sure he has what he needs to keep the weight on, even when they try and run it off...

Animal02

Banned
I'll I know is that our OOC and Homes schedule is not Sexy... I do not want to pay to see Alcorn St or Bowling Green, Duke, Virginia.... the only two home games worth a darn will be Miami and Clemson... Not sure if I will reup my season tix... I might wait to see who the QB is Lucas Johnson or Tobias Oliver I might buy some tickets, but If I have to watch TQM another year... Count me out!
Real Tech fan there. :rolleyes:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Will is going to be 300 lb plus and lean. Its his SR year and he is going to be huge. I will make sure he has what he needs to keep the weight on, even when they try and run it off...

Flea,
Love him being a SR.Those guys know what they are doing and usually want to go out with a bang like Shamire last yr.
question--what single aspect do you think is most important to look for in a OL recruit for us?

GTFLETCH

Banned
Super excited for Will!!! The O.K. will be so much improved just via depth... Much Props to Will as he has hung on there and helped build it back up...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Five hours? One way? Good gracious Ice where do you live?
Perdido Fla. West of Pensacola. Moved here so I could be on beautiful water ( grand kid attracting device) and go to gt football games. We used to only spend one night, but we are not kids.
20171225_154629.jpg

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Back to Tech for a minute. The games I fear are Pitt and UNC. It isn't that we might not lose to several teams on the schedule, what I really hate is the thought of losing to teams we are better than. I still say that we lost to Virginia and Duke at least partially because we didn't play with any energy. We will play hard in road games against teams with a level of prestige. But if that level of prestige isn't there, our effort won't be there either.

I puke at the very thought of a Georgia-Alabama national championship game. They are the teams I hate the most and I don't even have a third place. It would be like the old political joke about trying to hold a turd by the clean end. But I don't think it will happen. I think Clem handles Bama this year, and maybe not even a nail-biter. I do fear that Georgia will win, though.

My head tells me that UGA is the superior team to Oklahoma. But I am here to tell you, that OK quarterback can put balls right on the money. If Oklahoma can protect him and he is hot they are liable to run UGA right off the field. The dwags best chance is to run the football, shorten the game, and put pressure on the quarterback. They have to hit that guy and make him nervous. I like UGA to win this game but give OK a better chance than a lot of people. After watching both teams play multiple times, I am more impressed with Clemson but NEVER count Saban out. I am going with Clemson in a close game.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
My head tells me that UGA is the superior team to Oklahoma. But I am here to tell you, that OK quarterback can put balls right on the money. If Oklahoma can protect him and he is hot they are liable to run UGA right off the field. The dwags best chance is to run the football, shorten the game, and put pressure on the quarterback. They have to hit that guy and make him nervous. I like UGA to win this game but give OK a better chance than a lot of people. After watching both teams play multiple times, I am more impressed with Clemson but NEVER count Saban out. I am going with Clemson in a close game.
I smell UGAG choke;)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't think the Dwags have a snowball's chance in Hades against OU. Oh, they'll score points alright, but the problem there is that every time you score you have to give the ball back to OU. Those people can score from anywhere on the field and it usually doesn't take them too long to do it. All OU needs is three stops and I'm pretty sure they'll get that. I know Ugag has a highly ranked D, but they haven't seen a single team that can move like OU.

Now, watch. They'll win. That's what always happens when I say things like this.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Kirvonte just might be the best Bback since the days of Dwyer and AA. I don't think I would put him ahead of those two because they were so big and physical. I really do not consider him better than Mills and Marshall just different. He is still improving and we will see what 2018 brings. Personally, I am more concerned about Aback play and line depth than anything. Oh, lest I forget replacing Ricky. That will be tough to do.
I agree that Benson has the makings of a pretty good country BB. But …

He's no Mills. Mills was a force of nature at that position, the reincarnation of the real Adrian Peterson. Remember the Kentucky game? By the end of it, Mills was beating Kentucky singlehanded. He knew they couldn't stop him and so did they. Then recall the first game of 2016: in the Dublin swamp against BC. Mills had 99 yards on that field and scored the winning TD. I truly mourn the day that he was released. With him - and a healthy Matthew Jordan - I think Tech would have won 9 games, maybe 10, this year. He was that big a difference maker.

We'll see if you are right about Benson; I hope you are. I still wish we had Mills.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Flea,
Love him being a SR.Those guys know what they are doing and usually want to go out with a bang like Shamire last yr.
question--what single aspect do you think is most important to look for in a OL recruit for us?
Our guys have to be good in space and be able to drive block. Need flexible athletic smart players. Not belly bumpers. Its a complicated offense that changes as the ball is snapped. Dummies need not apply. :)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Lamar Jackson playing like he wants to come back for another season....
Nope. He's gone. Why wait around for a possible injury (he does run a lot)? Also, a lot of what the "analysts" were saying about his passing mechanics was bull hockey. He's got the same problems that Watson had when he went up; i.e. intermittent, curable ones.