2018 Offensive unit projections

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I do believe that with now a decade of going against Coach Johnson's offense, that several ACC teams and UGA have become very adept at defending against it. I know the old adage of, "if you block and execute properly, no defense can stop any offense", but I think teams do glean knowledge over time in how to defend certain offenses. They take queues from formation, motion, personnel and anticipate what is coming. They become more adept at defending our blocking techniques. So I think it has become more difficult for our offense to be successful as a result of this factor. I would love to see us develop some change of pace or against our tendency plays and incorporate more of that sort of thing into our offense. It seems we run a very similar sort of play on first down 90 plus percent of the time. Here I think we should throw the ball more often with some sort of safe, short pass rather than throwing the long ball. I also would like for us to introduce some different formations with more frequency to confuse our opponents and force them to rethink their defensive strategy. I just think our offense has grown a bit stale and needs some infusion of something new.

Go Jackets!
Again , u are right on point.

I have rewatched and rewatched the "every offensive play gt verses ... video for the last 4 games of 17. I see that coach is often calling a series of plays that do not involve the true triple option.
Imo , like jerry says above, folks are getting crafty at confusing our assignments, so we are going to more called plays. Maybe we will show them "we run the damb ball" in 18, but we need some alternatives

I would love to see us sub more player than the ab. How bout in pass situation we send in a tall wr and put him in motion. Also be sure best pass catching sr is in game ( searcy) . We keep trying the fake pass qb run w little threat of pass.

How bout in run situation we put in exta bb (jumbo). Or extra bb and lineman jumbo jumbo. ??

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Disagree 100%

Apples to oranges comparison. Searcy is slippery and more elusive with better big play potential. Put Searcy and Lynch in a 10yd box and see which one you can't get ahold of.
I have to agree with both - if there is a 10 yd box i take searcy. If the pitch is eell covered i ll take lynchs 3 yd gain verses searcys run out of bounds for 0 yds.

In spring game we will see if searcy has added 10 lbs and if lynch has his burst back. These seniors could be key - like in 14
In 18 its TIME

Mojo71

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with you Iceeater1969, I feel we need to mix in more motion with the wide receivers, hopefully it will open up the run. But the main problem with the run game is still up front in the "trenches". We have to get more stout and more nasty. That's where it all starts at!

Milwaukee

Banned
I have to agree with both - if there is a 10 yd box i take searcy. If the pitch is eell covered i ll take lynchs 3 yd gain verses searcys run out of bounds for 0 yds.

In spring game we will see if searcy has added 10 lbs and if lynch has his burst back. These seniors could be key - like in 14
In 18 its TIME

I highly doubt Searcy has changed his entire style in a winter. Reggie Bush isn't gonna run people over for a living, it's just not his style. Same applies here.

Lynch is great for us. They are just two COMPLETELY different styles of backs, both serving us well and feeding off the others' style imo.

The original point was that Searcy doesn't cut it up field or what not. I completely disagree, if there's a crease he's all about it. He's not gonna cut into 2 defenders instead of stepping out of bounds on a regular down and distance play only to put himself in a bad situation. Now if he were to step out with a yard to gain instead of cutting into contact then I'd have a problem, but that's not even close to being the case as some are trying to make it sound.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
The Tech fanbase's obsession with random mediocre white guys is both hilarious and sad. What have you seen from Cottrell that makes you think he could even be a water boy for an NFL team? He's not nearly as fast as was billed out of high school (knee injury probably had something to do with that in his defense). He's not particularly shifty or powerful and we haven't seen any receiving ability out of him. Bottom line is that he's an average third or fourth option on a mediocre ACC team, not a future NFL player. Put him in the same category as previous white guy heroes like Matthew Jordan, Brad Stewart, etc. All I can say is that I sure am glad some of the folks on this board aren't the ones on the staff giving out scholarships or we would be really screwed.

To be honest with you I don't see it either but knee injuries can sometimes have a way of lingering. One thing is for sure, there does not appear to be any Orwin Smith types in our backfield. Cottrell needs to focus on getting better but then that can be said about a rather large number of our starters. Just get better every day in practice and every week during the season and let the chips fall where they will. He may not be the second coming of AA or Robert Godhigh but there is just not a whole lot left in the ranch at that position. I have my fingers crossed that both Nathan and Lynch are fully recovered from their injuries because God knows we need both of them to play.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Again , u are right on point.

I have rewatched and rewatched the "every offensive play gt verses ... video for the last 4 games of 17. I see that coach is often calling a series of plays that do not involve the true triple option.
Imo , like jerry says above, folks are getting crafty at confusing our assignments, so we are going to more called plays. Maybe we will show them "we run the damb ball" in 18, but we need some alternatives

I would love to see us sub more player than the ab. How bout in pass situation we send in a tall wr and put him in motion. Also be sure best pass catching sr is in game ( searcy) . We keep trying the fake pass qb run w little threat of pass.

How bout in run situation we put in exta bb (jumbo). Or extra bb and lineman jumbo jumbo. ??
Well, how about Occam's Razor, a simpler answer where less can blow up on us: how about a quarterback who can actually run the triple option? Does anybody seriously think Johnson has shelved the Triple O because somebody defenses it better? The QB has to make two quick and accurate reads and then if it comes down to the third option, a good pitch under pressure. Marshall cannot. I don't say replace him. I don't say he is a bad QB. I don't say somebody else should be playing there. I am saying Marshall cannot run any of the options as a top tier guy, and the triple hardly at all. So it has been put into cold storage. I hope to see it again in my lifetime. Marshall is an Aback convert much like Navy's late last year, and much like Navy's, his option is almost always keep the ball and run for his life. If we could run the triple the defensive situation would sort itself out.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
On several posts above:

We have to keep our rushing stats in perspective. Tech was #5 in team rushing in 2017 at 307.4 a game. In general, that'll do.

There are, imho, two major things our opponents have gotten better at, however. First, everybody has learned the put-your-MLB-8-yards-back trick and then holding our OLs to disrupt second level blocks. None of that is new. If we had had the same OL on the field for the season instead of putting one together with spit and tape after our 3rd game, I think we would have done fine against these particular tactics. Still, the new holding rules work both ways and DLs can get away with just as much as OLs these days. Second, our opponents have all learned how to take on cut blocks. This makes it more difficult for the ABs we have now in particular; most of them aren't big enough to drive block OLBs reliably. We've been trying to get back to where we were in 2014 where we had Perkins and Hill alternating in regularly, but not so far. This is why I think that Ponchez is going back to AB and that Whatley or Malloy might get playing time early. We need to put the fear of God into OLBs and DBs on the edge again.

I'm not too worried about TaQuon; as I've said here before, with a starting year and a healthy (please, oh, Football Gods) OL I think we'll see the TO being called more and working. Then it's just a matter of (please, oh, Football Gods, part duex) getting no more then one game in a deluge next year.

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s not even the argument being made, you said he doesn’t cut up field I proved that to be wrong. The only thing you can say Lynch does better is he’s a tougher runner. I’m not denying that. I’m just saying the position is much more than being a tough runner. Blocking, catching, turning up field, ect.
Isn't lynch a bigger body than sercy? Jc. I just think they are 2 different type of backs a scat back and an all purpose back but that just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Isn't lynch a bigger body than sercy? Jc. I just think they are 2 different type of backs a scat back and an all purpose back but that just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I agree they are completely different backs. All I’m saying is they are pretty even in ability imo.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I highly doubt Searcy has changed his entire style in a winter. Reggie Bush isn't gonna run people over for a living, it's just not his style. Same applies here.

Lynch is great for us. They are just two COMPLETELY different styles of backs, both serving us well and feeding off the others' style imo.

The original point was that Searcy doesn't cut it up field or what not. I completely disagree, if there's a crease he's all about it. He's not gonna cut into 2 defenders instead of stepping out of bounds on a regular down and distance play only to put himself in a bad situation. Now if he were to step out with a yard to gain instead of cutting into contact then I'd have a problem, but that's not even close to being the case as some are trying to make it sound.
Agreed on not having a completely different style. Caveat I'll add is a reference to 2014. What seems to get the most credit on this board for our overall O efficiency in 2014 was the blocking, WRs, Shaq Mason, etc. Deservedly so. But one thing that struck me the entire year is how our older guys i.e., seniors had perfected the ability to understand angles and leverage with the ball in their hands, particularly on the runs toward the sideline, and lower their shoulder into a tackler to fall forward an additional 1-2 yards. Perkins, Hill, even Bostic were noticeably better, imo. That had nothing to do with scheme... most likely general football reps, increased strength and maturity over time. That enhanced recognition and well executed leverage were huge in getting us to our frequent "3rd and manageable" down and distance that season, and then ultimately converting them. I'd love to see that this year and think it's entirely feasible even if a guy like Searcy does not have a stylistic overhaul, if that makes sense.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I still feel like we have WAY too many "ifs" at this point : If TM takes a step up, If our OL stays together, If we have a replacement for RJ, if we have a consistent FG kicker.
Obviously, some of these things are true for every team. But it seems to me that our coaching staff does a particularly poor job of developing QUALITY depth , year in and year out. We seem to sign a lot of good - not great- players, but as a percentage , many of them never develop, or at least to the point where they get regular reps in every game so that they are more proven players than question marks .

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Agreed on not having a completely different style. Caveat I'll add is a reference to 2014. What seems to get the most credit on this board for our overall O efficiency in 2014 was the blocking, WRs, Shaq Mason, etc. Deservedly so. But one thing that struck me the entire year is how our older guys i.e., seniors had perfected the ability to understand angles and leverage with the ball in their hands, particularly on the runs toward the sideline, and lower their shoulder into a tackler to fall forward an additional 1-2 yards. Perkins, Hill, even Bostic were noticeably better, imo. That had nothing to do with scheme... most likely general football reps, increased strength and maturity over time. That enhanced recognition and well executed leverage were huge in getting us to our frequent "3rd and manageable" down and distance that season, and then ultimately converting them. I'd love to see that this year and think it's entirely feasible even if a guy like Searcy does not have a stylistic overhaul, if that makes sense.

Let me tell you, that Deon Hill was one fine football player by his senior year. He blocked, caught passes, and ran the ball with equal aplomb. He made a bunch of big plays against UGA in 2014 and in the Orange Bowl. Bostic and Perkins likewise were much improved by their senior year. Easily, our best group of Abacks in the Coach Johnson era. During the Miami game telecast of 2014, Brock Huard made an interesting observation (paraphrasing here) "...if there is a better perimeter blocking team in America , I have yet to see it"

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I still feel like we have WAY too many "ifs" at this point : If TM takes a step up, If our OL stays together, If we have a replacement for RJ, if we have a consistent FG kicker.
Obviously, some of these things are true for every team. But it seems to me that our coaching staff does a particularly poor job of developing QUALITY depth , year in and year out. We seem to sign a lot of good - not great- players, but as a percentage , many of them never develop, or at least to the point where they get regular reps in every game so that they are more proven players than question marks .
Disagree, we develop better than pretty much anyone in the nation. That’s why we did what we did in 2014, 2016 and other years with the guys we get.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A big "if" is will we be able to get the run game going for the whole year. We finished this year w 198, 220, 261, 277, 188 = average 228 yds.

Pretty sure we will have big stats against early teams like alcorn bowling green and usf in big part because the don't play us every year. Hope our last 3 games miami, virginia, uga average 300 plus!