2018 Offensive unit projections

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I think you are spot on with your comments about players having to make progress. That is always the unknown. You expect them to get bigger, stronger and more adept at executing the fundamentals associated with their position. Unfortunately, that does not always happen. At best it happens more for some than for others. It feels to me like, unless we have a whole lot of individuals collectively make a solid gain this season, we are destined to be a .500 football team again. But you never know until they tee it up and play the games.

Go Jackets!
Agreed !!

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I think the more complicated a position is to master, the most likely you’re going to see improvement due to reps/Year’s in system. Our offense is one of the more complicated out there.

It also matters how long a unit has been together with limited change. Our O depends on speed, precision and synchronicity of execution. We have a large chunk of our O back so I look for those things to be much improved.
I am not expecting, but I sure am hopin' like hell !!

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
If this were a "standard" offense and used a tailback in addition to a fullback, it would be a breakout, NFL-look year for Cottrell. He has everything the other two up top have, and size to boot. He might be the first A back with 4-5 carries a game winding up with a career in the NFL.
The Tech fanbase's obsession with random mediocre white guys is both hilarious and sad. What have you seen from Cottrell that makes you think he could even be a water boy for an NFL team? He's not nearly as fast as was billed out of high school (knee injury probably had something to do with that in his defense). He's not particularly shifty or powerful and we haven't seen any receiving ability out of him. Bottom line is that he's an average third or fourth option on a mediocre ACC team, not a future NFL player. Put him in the same category as previous white guy heroes like Matthew Jordan, Brad Stewart, etc. All I can say is that I sure am glad some of the folks on this board aren't the ones on the staff giving out scholarships or we would be really screwed.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If this were a "standard" offense and used a tailback in addition to a fullback, it would be a breakout, NFL-look year for Cottrell. He has everything the other two up top have, and size to boot. He might be the first A back with 4-5 carries a game winding up with a career in the NFL.

Indeed, Cottrell adds much needed beef to the backfield, along with that speed. We have the potential to have a great running backfield, if we can just block up front. That's the main thing. If we can get that, and if Clinton Lynch can return to form, the Jackets are going to run up some eye-popping rushing stats this year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The Tech fanbase's obsession with random mediocre white guys is both hilarious and sad. What have you seen from Cottrell that makes you think he could even be a water boy for an NFL team? He's not nearly as fast as was billed out of high school (knee injury probably had something to do with that in his defense). He's not particularly shifty or powerful and we haven't seen any receiving ability out of him. Bottom line is that he's an average third or fourth option on a mediocre ACC team, not a future NFL player. Put him in the same category as previous white guy heroes like Matthew Jordan, Brad Stewart, etc. All I can say is that I sure am glad some of the folks on this board aren't the ones on the staff giving out scholarships or we would be really screwed.

There probably is some kind of bias among some of the Tech faithful as you allude to, but I think Cottrell has a lot of potential. He's fast and runs with attitude. It's a reach to say he's NFL material, but nonetheless he looks good out there to me, much better than a "third or fourth option on a mediocre ACC team".

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Cottrell is great for a few series, while our 1 and 2's get a quick rest, but he never panned out as the player we were certain he could be. Some guys make GREAT team players and he is one of those kind of guys, he'll get touches this year and will most def break off a few long runs. NOW, it doesn't matter who is touching the rock if the offensive line cant hold. Setting the edges and being able to run the Rocket Toss effectively is key to spreading defenses out and ultimately controlling the game.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
That's why it seemed like our AB's had a lackluster season, not many plays were able to develop on the outsides, which is where they AB's make their biggest impact. If Clinton Lynch cant get down the seam due to being picked up by a OLB or a blitzing safety, we cant be a homerun threat. We need to really see some changes this year to even compete in the Coastal. Losing to F****** Dookie is annoying!

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I am afraid Cottrell is an example of an SA who MAY have reached his ceiling in HS. I remember when he committed. I was surprised he didn't have better offers . Maybe he will get a chance to show more this year. I will be pulling for him !

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Cottrell is great for a few series, while our 1 and 2's get a quick rest, but he never panned out as the player we were certain he could be. Some guys make GREAT team players and he is one of those kind of guys, he'll get touches this year and will most def break off a few long runs. NOW, it doesn't matter who is touching the rock if the offensive line cant hold. Setting the edges and being able to run the Rocket Toss effectively is key to spreading defenses out and ultimately controlling the game.
Total agreement !!

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Of course the main position for any football team is the QB position. We have some experience there but we really need to develop some semblance of a passing game and refine our operation of the Paul Johnson offense. I think the writing is on the wall that CPJ is going to stay with T. Marshall and hope to develop some depth behind him.

Here is how I see the depth there:

1) T, Marshall
2) Lucas Johnson
3) Tobias Oliver

If this is the depth chart at QB then I won't be very optimistic about 2018. Reggie Ball was a sub .500 passer for his career. Marshall has a long way to go to even attain Reggie Ball level passing proficiency.
I can honestly foresee a repeat of 2017 futility if Marshall leads the team in # of rushes and rushing yardage for a second year.

I am hoping that either Johnson or Oliver can push Marshall to A-Back.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Mediocre white guy post.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Of course the main position for any football team is the QB position. We have some experience there but we really need to develop some semblance of a passing game and refine our operation of the Paul Johnson offense. I think the writing is on the wall that CPJ is going to stay with T. Marshall and hope to develop some depth behind him.

Here is how I see the depth there:

1) T, Marshall
2) Lucas Johnson
3) Tobias Oliver

If this is the depth chart at QB then I won't be very optimistic about 2018. Reggie Ball was a sub .500 passer for his career. Marshall has a long way to go to even attain Reggie Ball level passing proficiency.
I can honestly foresee a repeat of 2017 futility if Marshall leads the team in # of rushes and rushing yardage for a second year.

I am hoping that either Johnson or Oliver can push Marshall to A-Back.

I also am hoping somebody pushes T. Marshall for starting QB, but whoever wins it I think the key for this year's team is the offensive line. I like Cooper at center, but the other positions are the big question marks. In fairness to T.M., he could have used some blocking last year, especially from the tackles. Overall, last year's OL was the worst I've seen in the CPJ era. It's hard to "refine our operation" when the OL is so weak that the QB is left to choose his poison back there. Pitch it and lose yardage, or keep it and lose yardage, whichever. Our biggest problem wasn't the QB, it was the tackles.

So just a few thoughts to add.
Benson is not an A back, he is a pure B-back. He gained over 1000 yards in 11 games. I looked back at both the Duke and Miami games. Miami, Benson gets hurt and our offense sputters. For the Duke game in the second half Benson already has a lot of yards but we go away from him. We do need a Howard to get better to spell Benson.

Cottrell, not fast, take a look at his 60 plus yard run in the Va Tech game. And keep in mind last year was his first year with playing time.

Yep, we need the Tackles to improve. Probably the reason we could not run the TO as well.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I hope tomorrow is better for you.

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
Searcy and Lynch are RS SR. They have both had great moments, but if they can be consistent threats/impact players then the offense can nudge forward. I know this is conditional on the interaction with the QB, so it is more of a team execution issue. Cotrell seems like an enthusiastic guy, but he hasn't shown much. KO returns have been useless. He will get his reps, but Searcy and Lynch deserve the focus on offense.

Kirvante exceeded expectations last year. It's his job, period.

TaQuon deserves to start. I don't want this offense to pass anyway. Improve in the running game by making the reads and spread the ball around. Throw deep 2-3 times a game. I would not mind if Johnson gets a meaningful series or two per game, but this is the freaking option offense - run it.

I don't know enough about the OL schemes to assess these guys, but we have enough experience coming back to foster optimism.

Please bring on Spring ball...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Searcy and Lynch are RS SR. They have both had great moments, but if they can be consistent threats/impact players then the offense can nudge forward. I know this is conditional on the interaction with the QB, so it is more of a team execution issue. Cotrell seems like an enthusiastic guy, but he hasn't shown much. KO returns have been useless. He will get his reps, but Searcy and Lynch deserve the focus on offense.

Kirvante exceeded expectations last year. It's his job, period.

TaQuon deserves to start. I don't want this offense to pass anyway. Improve in the running game by making the reads and spread the ball around. Throw deep 2-3 times a game. I would not mind if Johnson gets a meaningful series or two per game, but this is the freaking option offense - run it.

I don't know enough about the OL schemes to assess these guys, but we have enough experience coming back to foster optimism.

Please bring on Spring ball...
It is option football, but when the defense stacks the box, brings the safeties down and gives you man coverage all game, you’ve got to be able to: a) get open, and b) complete passes.