2018 Offensive unit projections

GTFLETCH

Banned
Searcy and Lynch are RS SR. They have both had great moments, but if they can be consistent threats/impact players then the offense can nudge forward. I know this is conditional on the interaction with the QB, so it is more of a team execution issue. Cotrell seems like an enthusiastic guy, but he hasn't shown much. KO returns have been useless. He will get his reps, but Searcy and Lynch deserve the focus on offense.

Kirvante exceeded expectations last year. It's his job, period.

TaQuon deserves to start. I don't want this offense to pass anyway. Improve in the running game by making the reads and spread the ball around. Throw deep 2-3 times a game. I would not mind if Johnson gets a meaningful series or two per game, but this is the freaking option offense - run it.

I don't know enough about the OL schemes to assess these guys, but we have enough experience coming back to foster optimism.

Please bring on Spring ball...
I agree with everything except "Taquon deserves to start"

I think the best QB should start... if that is not Quon than he can go back to ABack. He was one of our Best at ABack..

If it is Quon..I pray he can complete 50% of his passes this year so we can at least be bowl eligible.

Also I am not sure how winning 6 or 7 games with TaQuon as RS Senior helps if we can win 6 or 7 games with a RS Soph or RS Fr at QB... I wonder for the future of the program if Coach Johnson turns Lucas or Tobias loose...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I agree with everything except "Taquon deserves to start"

I think the best QB should start... if that is not Quon than he can go back to ABack. He was one of our Best at ABack..

If it is Quon..I pray he can complete 50% of his passes this year so we can at least be bowl eligible.

Also I am not sure how winning 6 or 7 games with TaQuon as RS Senior helps if we can win 6 or 7 games with a RS Soph or RS Fr at QB... I wonder for the future of the program if Coach Johnson turns Lucas or Tobias loose...
I don’t think he has to complete 50% I’d be happy with 40%. Of course I would want better than that though. I don’t think people realize how close we were to winning 8 games even with what his passing was. Miami had a tipped ball catch to win, and we missed a simple FG against UT for the win and then we couldnt stop Virginia from scoring late to take the lead and win. So, with less than 50% passing we can win 8 plus games imo.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I am afraid Cottrell is an example of an SA who MAY have reached his ceiling in HS. I remember when he committed. I was surprised he didn't have better offers . Maybe he will get a chance to show more this year. I will be pulling for him !
What’s with all of
Cottrell is great for a few series, while our 1 and 2's get a quick rest, but he never panned out as the player we were certain he could be. Some guys make GREAT team players and he is one of those kind of guys, he'll get touches this year and will most def break off a few long runs. NOW, it doesn't matter who is touching the rock if the offensive line cant hold. Setting the edges and being able to run the Rocket Toss effectively is key to spreading defenses out and ultimately controlling the game.
Cottrell only lead the team with 8.2 ypc last season. And he still has 2 years to play. I guess when a player is so hyped coming out of high school, they almost never meet the impossible expectations that are set. I think if he stays healthy, in 2 years we’ll all be wishing he had another year of eligibility.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Searcy and Lynch are RS SR. They have both had great moments, but if they can be consistent threats/impact players then the offense can nudge forward. I know this is conditional on the interaction with the QB, so it is more of a team execution issue. Cotrell seems like an enthusiastic guy, but he hasn't shown much. KO returns have been useless. He will get his reps, but Searcy and Lynch deserve the focus on offense.

Kirvante exceeded expectations last year. It's his job, period.

TaQuon deserves to start. I don't want this offense to pass anyway. Improve in the running game by making the reads and spread the ball around. Throw deep 2-3 times a game. I would not mind if Johnson gets a meaningful series or two per game, but this is the freaking option offense - run it.

I don't know enough about the OL schemes to assess these guys, but we have enough experience coming back to foster optimism.

Please bring on Spring ball...
For the offense to excel, TaQuon has to improve his passing. He also has to improve his decision making and ability to pitch the ball.

The best player "deserves to start." No one else. If that player is TaQuon, he will start; if it's not, he does not deserve to start.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What’s with all of

Cottrell only lead the team with 8.2 ypc last season. And he still has 2 years to play. I guess when a player is so hyped coming out of high school, they almost never meet the impossible expectations that are set. I think if he stays healthy, in 2 years we’ll all be wishing he had another year of eligibility.
IMO ypc can majorly be skewed in our offense. Two long runs can change those numbers drastically, and they can stay high because none of our Abacks get a ton of touches. We see our Abacks get huge runs at times without being touched and that’s because it’s the nature of our system, so ypc a lot of times for our Abacks is more about our QB making the right read and the LB’s getting sealed by the OL.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO ypc can majorly be skewed in our offense. Two long runs can change those numbers drastically, and they can stay high because none of our Abacks get a ton of touches. We see our Abacks get huge runs at times without being touched and that’s because it’s the nature of our system, so ypc a lot of times for our Abacks is more about our QB making the right read and the LB’s getting sealed by the OL.
True, but Cottrell played in the same system with same QB as the rest of last year’s Abacks and had a higher ypc than the rest. And he had more carries than any other Aback except Searcy (only 3 more carries), so a few long runs would represent a lower percentage of his total carries. Also, long runs are good.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
True, but Cottrell played in the same system with same QB as the rest of last year’s Abacks and had a higher ypc than the rest. And he had more carries than any other Aback except Searcy (only 3 more carries), so a few long runs would represent a lower percentage of his total carries. Also, long runs are good.
I agree but imo that’s just the luck of the draw, getting the long runs. I remember two where he was pretty much untouched but the play was ran just right. Remember Lynch is 2016? IMO there are other Abacks that could have had the same success as Lynch is 2016 had they been the Aback getting the ball on those specific plays Lynch was getting the ball on. Same with Nathan this year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Jeez Louise, first TaQuon and now Nathan?

The only reason Cotrell isn't starting is that he has two right good senior ABs ahead of him. Both Lynch and Searcy are as talented as he is - and vice versa - but they've been in the system longer and are quite productive. I don't think this has beans to do with "reaching his ceiling in high school" or that he's a "random mediocre white guy". When he gets to the field as a starter - next year, provided we don't have any injuries - I'm sure he'll do as well as Lynch and Searcy.

Oh, and he can block.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
LT: Lee
LG: Braun
C: Cooper
RG: Bryan
RT: Marshall
QB: Marshall
BB: Benson
AB: Lynch
AB: Searcy
WR: Stewart
WR: Camp

Hansen will be first in line to play G or C.

Stickler will be the 3rd OT unless DeFoor is able to play which he will compete for a top 3 spot possible.

Cottrell will be the 3rd Aback.

Johnson 2nd QB.

Howard 2nd Bback.

Dolphus 3rd WR.

All assumptions of course.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree but imo that’s just the luck of the draw, getting the long runs. I remember two where he was pretty much untouched but the play was ran just right. Remember Lynch is 2016? IMO there are other Abacks that could have had the same success as Lynch is 2016 had they been the Aback getting the ball on those specific plays Lynch was getting the ball on. Same with Nathan this year.

Man, I don't remember it that way at all. What I remember is wishing Clinton Lynch would get more carries because he was obviously the best A-back on our roster. Hoping he can return this year to form after the injury. You don't get 415 yards on 37 carries by "the luck of the draw".

In his first three years, he has 1,081 yards on 113 carries.

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Man, I don't remember it that way at all. What I remember is wishing Clinton Lynch would get more carries because he was obviously the best A-back on our roster. Hoping he can return this year to form after the injury. You don't get 415 yards on 37 carries by "the luck of the draw".

I think Searcy is just as talented, and if in Lynch’s place he could have done the same thing. Idk if you remember, but a lot of his yards were from being wide open because defenses were flying down hill to stop the run, any of the Abacks would have been open. Same thing with runs, he would get the ball turn up field and run 30 yards before being touched. Don’t get me wrong, Lynch is very talented but our offensive system sets a lot of big plays up for the guys.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Lynch really wasn't healthy last year and it showed in his burst. He honestly had several runs that ended up going for 8 or 9 that in 2016 would have been 6.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I think Searcy is just as talented, and if in Lynch’s place he could have done the same thing. Idk if you remember, but a lot of his yards were from being wide open because defenses were flying down hill to stop the run, any of the Abacks would have been open. Same thing with runs, he would get the ball turn up field and run 30 yards before being touched. Don’t get me wrong, Lynch is very talented but our offensive system sets a lot of big plays up for the guys.

Searcy is no lynch. Ive always had a soft spot for searcy but he doesn't run as hard.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Searcy is no lynch. Ive always had a soft spot for searcy but he doesn't run as hard.
Theres more than just running hard though. Sure, Lynch does things better but so does Searcy, but overall they are pretty equal when you add in their strengths and weaknesses. They are just two different types of backs.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
What’s with all of

Charles Perkins took time to develop but his senior year was very good.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You and I were watching different Lynches.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Theres more than just running hard though. Sure, Lynch does things better but so does Searcy, but overall they are pretty equal when you add in their strengths and weaknesses. They are just two different types of backs.

Lynch doesn't run out of bounds when he's about to get hit. Searcy is not as good or equal to lynch in any category

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Several times last year searcy could have put his foot in the ground and cut it up field north and south but failed to do so.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Lynch doesn't run out of bounds when he's about to get hit. Searcy is not as good or equal to lynch in any category
Searcy has just as good of hands, and he cuts across the grain better. I’ll admit Lynch is better at running hard though and like you said doesn’t go out of bounds right away but I’ve seen Searcy not go out of bounds as well. Like I said they are just two different backs. There has been two plays where Searcy cuts back across field and scored TD’s when Lynch would have just keep going straight and probably been tackled. Maybe I’m missing it because we didn’t see the same Lynch this past year though, my memory can be off a little lol, but I wouldn’t say there was a major drop off from Searcy even if he was a little behind.