2018 Offensive unit projections

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Several times last year searcy could have put his foot in the ground and cut it up field north and south but failed to do so.
Like I said in my other post, I’ve seen him cut across the grain many times. Now, cutting up field and across the grain are two different things, but I have seen what you are saying although he had LB’s about to clean his clock in some instances because we weren’t getting a hat on them, so cuttin up wouldn’t have made a difference.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What do you mean? I didn’t say what I saw out of Lynch so idk how you can really say that.
I guess I never saw him 30 yards open. I have seen a couple of wide receivers 30 yards open, but apparenty I was the only one because he never got the ball. Lynch made tough yards on hard runs. There were no gimmes when he hit the edge.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I do believe that with now a decade of going against Coach Johnson's offense, that several ACC teams and UGA have become very adept at defending against it. I know the old adage of, "if you block and execute properly, no defense can stop any offense", but I think teams do glean knowledge over time in how to defend certain offenses. They take queues from formation, motion, personnel and anticipate what is coming. They become more adept at defending our blocking techniques. So I think it has become more difficult for our offense to be successful as a result of this factor. I would love to see us develop some change of pace or against our tendency plays and incorporate more of that sort of thing into our offense. It seems we run a very similar sort of play on first down 90 plus percent of the time. Here I think we should throw the ball more often with some sort of safe, short pass rather than throwing the long ball. I also would like for us to introduce some different formations with more frequency to confuse our opponents and force them to rethink their defensive strategy. I just think our offense has grown a bit stale and needs some infusion of something new.

Go Jackets!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I guess I never saw him 30 yards open. I have seen a couple of wide receivers 30 yards open, but apparenty I was the only one because he never got the ball. Lynch made tough yards on hard runs. There were no gimmes when he hit the edge.
I never said 30 yards open, if you are behind a D 5 yards, that’s wide open to me. But anyways, I think you are mistaken what I’m saying. I never said he didn’t make tough yards on hard runs. I 100% agree he made tough yards on hard runs. But he definitely had gimmies when hitting the edge. I just went and watched his highlights, and many times he went untouched for 30 plus yards. That’s the plays I’m talking about when I say it’s a product of our system and the other Abacks could have done the same thing. I believe this for the other Abacks as well and not just Lynch. I think Lynch is extremely talented, and he’s probably my favorite of the Abacks.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Might wanna watch this..... he definitely cuts up field.

Fast forward to the 2:27 clip. Yet Marshall was a 40 percent passer for the year. Sure Qua made an outstanding play. Just like Marshall made an outstanding throw. But for the most part qua is not a tough runner. Avoids contact and is not the same caliber as lynch

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I do believe that with now a decade of going against Coach Johnson's offense, that several ACC teams and UGA have become very adept at defending against it. I know the old adage of, "if you block and execute properly, no defense can stop any offense", but I think teams do glean knowledge over time in how to defend certain offenses. They take queues from formation, motion, personnel and anticipate what is coming. They become more adept at defending our blocking techniques. So I think it has become more difficult for our offense to be successful as a result of this factor. I would love to see us develop some change of pace or against our tendency plays and incorporate more of that sort of thing into our offense. It seems we run a very similar sort of play on first down 90 plus percent of the time. Here I think we should throw the ball more often with some sort of safe, short pass rather than throwing the long ball. I also would like for us to introduce some different formations with more frequency to confuse our opponents and force them to rethink their defensive strategy. I just think our offense has grown a bit stale and needs some infusion of something new.

Go Jackets!
Complete and total agreement. I keep thinking that CPJ will do that ( like Ga. So. and Hawaii ) if he feels he has the right personnel. But so far I guess he hasn't .....but that goes back to recruiting and RESOURCES I guess.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Indeed, Cottrell adds much needed beef to the backfield, along with that speed. We have the potential to have a great running backfield, if we can just block up front. That's the main thing. If we can get that, and if Clinton Lynch can return to form, the Jackets are going to run up some eye-popping rushing stats this year.

the only way we will have big rushing stats is if the QB PITCHES the ball-TM did NOT A BUNCH, including the last play vs Tenn

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Fast forward to the 2:27 clip. Yet Marshall was a 40 percent passer for the year. Sure Qua made an outstanding play. Just like Marshall made an outstanding throw. But for the most part qua is not a tough runner. Avoids contact and is not the same caliber as lynch

That’s not even the argument being made, you said he doesn’t cut up field I proved that to be wrong. The only thing you can say Lynch does better is he’s a tougher runner. I’m not denying that. I’m just saying the position is much more than being a tough runner. Blocking, catching, turning up field, ect.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Lynch wasn't 100% or close to it. I like Qua a lot and don't blame him for getting out of bounds. he's rail thin.

I want us to try packages with our best 11 if that includes Benson, Howard, or Ponchez-Mason at A.

Milwaukee

Banned
Several times last year searcy could have put his foot in the ground and cut it up field north and south but failed to do so.

Disagree 100%

Apples to oranges comparison. Searcy is slippery and more elusive with better big play potential. Put Searcy and Lynch in a 10yd box and see which one you can't get ahold of.

Milwaukee

Banned

Rewind to Athens, watch him make the cut. Can't use just one example remember, or something like that.

See what I did there.