2018 Off Season Thread

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Was that the play when we were inside the ten driving for a TD, when the defender lunged all the way past the OL, and got far enough into the backfield to actually interfere with the snap from center to QB? I recall freaking out at the ridiculously incompetent refereeing on that play...
Yup. That was it. And I was just as furious as you were, they were about to officially get walloped with that TD. But you know, refs and stuff.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is interesting:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-retire-a-millionaire-2018-5

According to the article, one out of every six retirees in America is a millionaire. Does that ratio sound familiar?

It begs the question, is touting the fact that 1 in 6 GT graduates is a millionaire really that much of a differentiator? In addition, according to another article, GT is ranked below fellow ACC schools UVA, Duke, UNC (millionaires from there cheated their way to the top...:whistle:), and half hearted member Notre Dame as schools that produce the most millionaires (I believe GT ranks in the 80's worldwide).

https://www.elitetraveler.com/featu...llionaire-producing-universities-in-the-world

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
This is interesting:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-retire-a-millionaire-2018-5

According to the article, one out of every six retirees in America is a millionaire. Does that ratio sound familiar?

It begs the question, is touting the fact that 1 in 6 GT graduates is a millionaire really that much of a differentiator? In addition, according to another article, GT is ranked below fellow ACC schools UVA, Duke, UNC (millionaires from there cheated their way to the top...:whistle:), and half hearted member Notre Dame as schools that produce the most millionaires (I believe GT ranks in the 80's worldwide).

https://www.elitetraveler.com/featu...llionaire-producing-universities-in-the-world

Retiring a millionaire is kinda different than the Tech statistic is talking about. But yeah i could see us being in the 80's because we often don't have the starting point for most of our students that a school like duke or even UNC does ( come from money). I'd be willing to bet some of our numbers are depressed by people actually going home to countries with worse economies than the US.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Did GT ever define how the 1 in 6 ratio was defined?

Not Really but the GT stat has been around a long time even when the retiring as a millionaire general number was much lower. I'd say that what we are probably dealing with here is a degree of millionaire. For instance with a non GT (or engineering in general ) degree you might now retire as a millionaire but it might be only like 1 million for 40 year career. A gt degree might put tha number closer to 6 or 10. I'd say the numbers on GT are probably higher, its probably now something like 4 of 6 will be millionaires now due to inflation.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not Really but the GT stat has been around a long time even when the retiring as a millionaire general number was much lower. I'd say that what we are probably dealing with here is a degree of millionaire. For instance with a non GT (or engineering in general ) degree you might now retire as a millionaire but it might be only like 1 million for 40 year career. A gt degree might put tha number closer to 6 or 10. I'd say the numbers on GT are probably higher, its probably now something like 4 of 6 will be millionaires now due to inflation.

Not saying you're incorrect in that assumption (which is reasonable), but odds are the spectrum you're describing would fall in line for GT grads as well. Highest average starting salaries HEAVILY favor engineering and science majors, so it's reasonable to think GT grads would obtain millionaire status quicker than the average college graduate. The fact that GT doesn't differentiate its "1 in 6" (i.e. GT grads have a higher net worth as millionaires, or GT produces more 1st generation millionaires, etc) doesn't make the 1 in 6 ratio anything that really stands out in light of the fact 1 in 6 Americans retire as millionaires.

Basically, a coach from another school could point to the 1 in 6 stat and say, "Son, odds are, you have the same chances of becoming a millionaire if you go anywhere else." That coach would not be wrong statistically speaking.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Not saying you're incorrect in that assumption (which is reasonable), but odds are the spectrum you're describing would fall in line for GT grads as well. Highest average starting salaries HEAVILY favor engineering and science majors, so it's reasonable to think GT grads would obtain millionaire status quicker than the average college graduate. The fact that GT doesn't differentiate its "1 in 6" (i.e. GT grads have a higher net worth as millionaires, or GT produces more 1st generation millionaires, etc) doesn't make the 1 in 6 ratio anything that really stands out in light of the fact 1 in 6 Americans retire as millionaires.

Basically, a coach from another school could point to the 1 in 6 stat and say, "Son, odds are, you have the same chances of becoming a millionaire if you go anywhere else." That coach would not be wrong statistically speaking.

A better stat, if it were true, would be something like “1 out of 6 GT grads are millionaires by the time they turn 45.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A better stat, if it were true, would be something like “1 out of 6 GT grads are millionaires by the time they turn 45.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. That GT just says "1 in 6 graduates is a millionaire" only puts us in line with the standard outcome for Americans at retirement. Would love to see the ranking of schools whose graduates have the highest average net worth...or something along those lines. I'm sure GT would rank pretty high in terms of schools that compete on this level athletically.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Agree. That GT just says "1 in 6 graduates is a millionaire" only puts us in line with the standard outcome for Americans at retirement. Would love to see the ranking of schools whose graduates have the highest average net worth...or something along those lines. I'm sure GT would rank pretty high in terms of schools that compete on this level athletically.

Honeslty its probably just a case that we need to update the statistic.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

The last ratio I heard from the school was 2 in 5. I can't recall exactly when, but I think it was last year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The last ratio I heard from the school was 2 in 5. I can't recall exactly when, but I think it was last year.

Wow...so close to every other graduate is a millionaire. You would think they would push to release that, or our coaches would.

Gives whole new meaning to "Look to your left, look to your right..."

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wow...so close to every other graduate is a millionaire. You would think they would push to release that, or our coaches would.

Gives whole new meaning to "Look to your left, look to your right..."
The ratio for my Dad's era Tech friends was probably closer to 3 in 4 when they were in their 70s.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Showing the new shirt off at local event for hs football players to hear a talk from qb pat nicks ( gt coach in early galley years) and qb greg mc ellory. Nix had some nice things to say about gt. He loves the auburn program and his kid will play there.
Both emphasized = focus on whats ahead.
20180503_181552.jpg

Showing the new shirt off at local event for hs football players to hear a talk from qb pat nicks ( gt coach in early galley years) and qb greg mc ellory. Nix had some nice things to say about gt. He loves the auburn program and his kid will play there.
Both emphasized = focus on whats ahead.
View attachment 3536
Patrick Nix was to blame for Reggie not knowing it was 4th down.