2018 captains

GTFLETCH

Banned
The QB battle needs to be between LJ and Scout Team POY Tobias Oliver... Marshall can be a Captain like S. Days and play ABack... Lets see what CPJ does

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Whose ceiling do you think was higher: Taquon or Tevin Washington?

I say TM by a decent amount. If TM gets his reads and passing to TW levels, our offense will be least of our concerns (per usual). He obviously has work to do there.

If not, LJ or TO will get the chance.

One thing's for sure. Those who are openly rooting for one guy or another to be the starter will never admit to being wrong if it works out the other way.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The guys aren’t stupid, they want to win. If another QB gives them the best chance to win, they’ll support him. And believe me, they’ll know who that is. They also know Coach wants to win more than anything. He’s not going to prop up some guy that’s not gonna give them the best chance to win.

It’s not an unheard of thing to have a divided team because of a decisive issue like who the starting QB is and who part of the team wants it to be, or thinks deserves it. i just think it would have been smarter to wait.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It’s not an unheard of thing to have a divided team because of a decisive issue like who the starting QB is and who part of the team wants it to be, or thinks deserves it. i just think it would have been smarter to wait.
We need leadership in the off-season. That is the most overriding point. All else is secondary. If there is going to be division based on positions won or lost, it will happen regardless of captains being named now. In my opinion, this is a huge positive for off-season preparation and next season success.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The QB battle needs to be between LJ and Scout Team POY Tobias Oliver... Marshall can be a Captain like S. Days and play ABack... Lets see what CPJ does
Are you saying the returning starter should not even be allowed to compete for the position he started all season? That doesn’t sound like an open competition to me. If you want to create a division in the team, that’s your best way of doing it right there.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Huh? He did?

TM will be the QB
Yeah, there was a noticable drop in our run defense when he was off the field. It may not be necessarily because his personal play was better ( from a physical level BJS was better), it may be he was making the checks and calls to attempt to get us into the correct defense. BJS was not really able to do that yet ( i mean he was a true freshman hard to expect that).

Brant will benefit from the reduced gap responsiblility of a 3-4 ilb in woody's scheme, but we might be able to take advantage of his calls better.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Whose ceiling do you think was higher: Taquon or Tevin Washington?

I say TM by a decent amount. If TM gets his reads and passing to TW levels, our offense will be least of our concerns (per usual). He obviously has work to do there.

If not, LJ or TO will get the chance.

One thing's for sure. Those who are openly rooting for one guy or another to be the starter will never admit to being wrong if it works out the other way.
I’d even say a healthy OL would make TM a much better quarterback even if his skill set remained the same. His game went south when the OL couldn’t control the LOS later in the season.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
We need leadership in the off-season. That is the most overriding point. All else is secondary. If there is going to be division based on positions won or lost, it will happen regardless of captains being named now. In my opinion, this is a huge positive for off-season preparation and next season success.

Agree with this 100%. Everyone watched the Duke and UGA games in 2017, right?

Edit: Also, how many away games did we win in 2017? To me, it wasn’t for lack of ability.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
IMO team captains are symbolic. Team leaders are what they are...a capital “C” doesn’t change that much. It’s typically just a stamp of approval by the coach on those leaders. Players choose the leaders, coaches just give em a boost if warranted.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Walk on Ivenmeyer played in 8 games this year, and IIRC, started a couple. If not, he got heavy playing time throughout the season. Connor Hansen, a TFr, also played in 3 games due to the injuries.

Andrew Marshall missed the entire season to injury.
Brad Morgan was injured most of the season. Only played 4 games.
Scott Morgan was also limited. Only played in 3 games.
Jahaziel Lee missed two games to injury.
Stickler missed 1 game to injury.
Can u find a link to plays per game as all i can find on ramblin wrek is participation? It doesnt enen tell what games the brady, morgans and hansen played. Participation verses plays.
i watched the line play but at guard center guard did not see the back up get more than the not significant number of snaps you would hope they would get in normal rotation. Which game do you remember Morgan Morgan Hansen playing a long series of plays? If u will tell me the games i will watch the every gt offensive play and see how they did. Thanks.
Rewatching games while looking at left tackle I was really pleased to see how well brady did in space - especially Watching him on the sideline - he is way smaller than stick or bryan vhamberlin, but he can scoot. Flea told me how to watch the down field blocking - not pancakes, not guard a down field lane - its more of a moving pick that lets play happen and go for a big play.

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
If we stick with TM we will be average at best again. What's the worst that can happen if we go with either LJ, TO or James Graham?!?! We don't make a bowl game, oh wait.....

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Can u find a link to plays per game as all i can find on ramblin wrek is participation? It doesnt enen tell what games the brady, morgans and hansen played. Participation verses plays.
i watched the line play but at guard center guard did not see the back up get more than the not significant number of snaps you would hope they would get in normal rotation. Which game do you remember Morgan Morgan Hansen playing a long series of plays? If u will tell me the games i will watch the every gt offensive play and see how they did. Thanks.
Rewatching games while looking at left tackle I was really pleased to see how well brady did in space - especially Watching him on the sideline - he is way smaller than stick or bryan vhamberlin, but he can scoot. Flea told me how to watch the down field blocking - not pancakes, not guard a down field lane - its more of a moving pick that lets play happen and go for a big play.
I FOUND THE LINK.
WILL REPORT PLAYS FOR M M H AND BRADY!

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Some folks are way overthinking this. Marshall was a captain last year and he's a captain this year because his teammates see him as a leader, and he is rallying the troops in the offseason. As for next year, I suspect he will either improve or possibly be replaced at QB. We will have to wait and see. New leaders will emerge next year, too.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

FWIW, I recall Ivenmeyer getting significant playing time, and they wouldn't have burned Hansons RS if the need wasn't there.

That being said, I also agree with your point that the OL play was underwhelming at points as well. The two aren't mutually exclusive, and IMO, the injuries merely exacerbated already troublesome OL performance.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If we stick with TM we will be average at best again. What's the worst that can happen if we go with either LJ, TO or James Graham?!?! We don't make a bowl game, oh wait.....
Hmmm.... I have a better idea... let's have an open competition and let the best man win! Wow, what a novel concept, hope it catches on. Either you trust the coaches to put the best man on the field or you don't. That's what this really boils down to. I'm glad we have a bunch of solid players to battle it out. One of those guys has a whole season of battle tested experience to build on. I guess that means nothing, though...

As much as I defend TM's right to compete for the job, I in no way think he should be handed the job, nor do I think he will be. He has to prove he's the best of the bunch all over again. You can bet the others are motivated to take it. You can also bet all the tea in China CPJ wants to win more than anybody on the team or this board. Nobody is more qualified to choose the best candidate to run his offense than it's creator. I don't get all the fear and angst people have about the fairness of the fight for the job.

GTdragons

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow, TaQuon has a lot of haters on this board. I’m a big fan, personally. I agree that A-backs need to get in the action more, but I’m sure CPJ and TaQuon himself are well aware of that. Look for him to improve and ball out next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTFLETCH

Banned
Are you saying the returning starter should not even be allowed to compete for the position he started all season? That doesn’t sound like an open competition to me. If you want to create a division in the team, that’s your best way of doing it right there.
37%.... Should have moved back to AB last year when the wheels fell off and let LJ or TO take over.... If we want to win 5-6 games, let TQM be the man (heck we might even win 7 with him at QB!)... If we want to build something special than we need a QB who will be a multi year starter. IMHO.... 37% says it all! Let the LJ or TO train begin!

GTFLETCH

Banned
Wow, TaQuon has a lot of haters on this board. I’m a big fan, personally. I agree that A-backs need to get in the action more, but I’m sure CPJ and TaQuon himself are well aware of that. Look for him to improve and ball out next season.

Than what... we win 5-7 Games with TQM and his 37% and then what... he graduates and we start all over again.... I say if all we got was 5 wins with TQM, move him back to AB and invest in the future... LJ and TO can win and win now!!

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Than what... we win 5-7 Games with TQM and his 37% and then what... he graduates and we start all over again.... I say if all we got was 5 wins with TQM, move him back to AB and invest in the future... LJ and TO can win and win now!!

Yeah, I agree. After all JeT got us in 2015 was 3 wins, we shoulda moved him to AB and invested in the future...

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, I’d really like to see the term “haters” go away. It’s so childish to say that anyone that presents a contrary viewpoint is a “hater”.