2018 captains

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
What will TM lead them in? "Callin' the Dawgs"?
bustedtees.a4aa6827-33d3-4819-9d73-b5eddb2c.png

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Could this be the first time ever neither team captain starts?
Marshall will start somewhere, whether it's QB or A-Back. He's too good not to have on the field. And after switching to a 3-4 defense, Mitchell should slot in nicely as an ILB. Plus he's been a starter the last 2 years. He'll start again.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Huh? He did?

TM will be the QB
The week he was out 12 was acc player of week . I think brant was very good the following week and 12 got very little if any pt that game. He looked pretty eager to get in the game

I would love to see what andy mac coach could do w them both at inside lb. We will need talent i n the middle as we learn the new d.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
TaQuon made so so many plays for us this year. I don’t get why we hate on him, which game did HE lose us? He played great against UT and Miami and played good enough to win against UVA and Duke. I don’t get it, at the beginning of the year it was all TaQuon for Heisman now we want him removed because he had a rough ending to the season. He rushed for 1200 and almost passed for 1000. He is a lethal playmaker and probably the best true athlete GT has, why do you guys think a backup could do better?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I guess that resolves any potential QB controversy. You are not likely to have one of your captains on the bench after kickoff...
By golly, I do think you have hammered that nail perfectly. And now we know the dumbed down spread option we will run in 2018: QB left, QB right, after several fullbacks up the middle. I appreciate it as part of the offense. I don't like it when it has become the offense. That aside, congratulations to both. (That special teams isn't represented seems to say something.)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There are lots of people in this world who underestimate and underappreciate the value of player-led team leadership and its impact on the success/failure of a team. The fact that CPJ has decided to have the team select that leadership now as opposed to mid season is indicative of how much he understands and values it. It’s a brilliant move and shows that regardless of play calling and/or scheme, he’s a man who has the pulse of his team. This is the best move I’ve seen all offseason and now I’m a little more fired up for 2018 than I previously was. Leadership is the “it” factor that can help a team overcome shortcomings in talent a lot of times. It doesn’t matter if it’s the gridiron, the conference room, or the battle field... leadership can either make or break you.

Players play and coaches coach. Lots of times folks tend to overlook the fact that the team has to decide how dedicated to each other they are and how much effort they are going to put forth to get where they want to be. Congratulations to both Taquon and Brant. Johnson is absolutely correct when he says it’s an honor to have your peers elect you to be their leader. They’ve got a big task before them this year, and regardless of whether or not they start this coming season, being a Captain is a full time starting position in its own right.

Give ‘em Hell, boys!
Well, I like Johnson too, though he does test my tolerance sometimes, but let's not go overboard with this "brilliance" talk. One on thenational scene is bad enough. But it is hardly "brilliant" to name the captains at the start of the season. Why in the world would you go through six games without captains, despite their mainly symbolic value?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
This all revolves around offensive philosophy. Given the choice of having a better running game with a poorer passing game or a poorer running game with a better passing game, CPJ will always choose the former. The primary focus of our offense is the running game, so that is understandable. We all agree that when EVERYONE does his job on offense, it is a thing of beauty. The problem, of course, is that sometimes, bigger, stronger, faster defenders beat our offensive players and blow up the plays. That becomes even more problematic when those defenders can disregard the pass, stack the box and win matchups.

In our offense, the better running QB cranks up the rushing yardage against weaker opponents, but that one-dimensional rushing effort plummets against quality opposition. If CPJ would insert his passing QB when the opposition is already stuffing our running game, it would stand to reason that the "drop off" in our then-impaired rushing game would not be significant, while the passing yardage would be improved. Just give the passing QB designed-outcome run plays - handoffs to BBack, QB follows, designed pitchs to AB - all plays that do not require the level of split-second decision-making CPJ wants his QB to have in the run game. Then, let him soften up the defense with a credible passing game. Some quality passes opens up the run game, too, further minimizing the drop off from the rushing QB game plan.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It seems like this move could backfire and cause team division if TQ loses his starting qb job
The guys aren’t stupid, they want to win. If another QB gives them the best chance to win, they’ll support him. And believe me, they’ll know who that is. They also know Coach wants to win more than anything. He’s not going to prop up some guy that’s not gonna give them the best chance to win.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If there were a lot of ol injuries, who got real playing time besides the players named

Walk on Ivenmeyer played in 8 games this year, and IIRC, started a couple. If not, he got heavy playing time throughout the season. Connor Hansen, a TFr, also played in 3 games due to the injuries.

Andrew Marshall missed the entire season to injury.
Brad Morgan was injured most of the season. Only played 4 games.
Scott Morgan was also limited. Only played in 3 games.
Jahaziel Lee missed two games to injury.
Stickler missed 1 game to injury.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Could this be the first time ever neither team captain starts?

one could make the argument. But roof did such a poor job of recruiting the LB position 2-3 years ago there is minimal quality depth or experience today. So. Mitchell will start IMO.

Marshall...we will see...only because lucas johnson is LEGIT QB depth unlike LB on D. We have people there.

One year live bullets in this system will help bigtime in spring. Marshall could make a jump. Ya'll got to remember, it was his first year starting and he was not even a QB for a large chunk of time at GT. And despite that, one could make a really good case that the O did enough to win more....

But on D. Ugh. My hope is Woody actually squeezes the talent out of the players...vs what we had. Which was little progression since they day they stepped on the field out of high school. Almost none. Mitchell is not much better today than as a true fresh imo. A mlb with only what 55 tackles all year? Are you kidding? Think about that. 55 tackles for a guy who played every down as a Junior.

Even if he was out two games, fine, give him 5-6 tackles a game (above his avg for the year); you are still at mid 60s. In 3 games he registered a whopping ZERO solo tackles. A mlb, registered zero solo tackles in 1/4 of the games. Its hard for me to rack my brain around this. Its a combination of bad everything, not all on brant. But some on him too.

In 4 straight games he went, 3 tackles, 3 tackles, 2 tackles, 2 tackles.

So if you ask me his job should be EVERY bit on the risk as well.

I would love, if woody didn't watch any tape of our guys, goes on the field, day 1, and flat out makes it a try out and the best wins. No pre conceived views. nothing. Pure try outs.....

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Marshall will start somewhere, whether it's QB or A-Back. He's too good not to have on the field. And after switching to a 3-4 defense, Mitchell should slot in nicely as an ILB. Plus he's been a starter the last 2 years. He'll start again.

I think Brant is too slow for woody style of play.

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
When you have a non-bowl season, everyone's jobs are open. This includes the QB and ILB especially when you are going from a non-aggressive scheme to very aggressive one where quickness is expected.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
one could make the argument. But roof did such a poor job of recruiting the LB position 2-3 years ago there is minimal quality depth or experience today. So. Mitchell will start IMO.

Marshall...we will see...only because lucas johnson is LEGIT QB depth unlike LB on D. We have people there.

One year live bullets in this system will help bigtime in spring. Marshall could make a jump. Ya'll got to remember, it was his first year starting and he was not even a QB for a large chunk of time at GT. And despite that, one could make a really good case that the O did enough to win more....

But on D. Ugh. My hope is Woody actually squeezes the talent out of the players...vs what we had. Which was little progression since they day they stepped on the field out of high school. Almost none. Mitchell is not much better today than as a true fresh imo. A mlb with only what 55 tackles all year? Are you kidding? Think about that. 55 tackles for a guy who played every down as a Junior.

Even if he was out two games, fine, give him 5-6 tackles a game (above his avg for the year); you are still at mid 60s. In 3 games he registered a whopping ZERO solo tackles. A mlb, registered zero solo tackles in 1/4 of the games. Its hard for me to rack my brain around this. Its a combination of bad everything, not all on brant. But some on him too.

In 4 straight games he went, 3 tackles, 3 tackles, 2 tackles, 2 tackles.

So if you ask me his job should be EVERY bit on the risk as well.

I would love, if woody didn't watch any tape of our guys, goes on the field, day 1, and flat out makes it a try out and the best wins. No pre conceived views. nothing. Pure try outs.....
Agree with your point on TM with not reaching his ceiling yet. Most guys on here highly undervalue onfield experience in our system, especially at QB. If the lightabulb goes on with the give read under pressure, look out. Once he gets that down, it'll force front 7's to be less aggressive which will have a huge positive impact on the rest of his game.

Not so sure about your last point (bold). I think not watching film would be a huge waste of time. Much can be learned by individually watching players film even if you hate the previous DC and his system. Watching the guys do his drills in practice trumps that, however. I just think it'd be helpful in the final analysis. Some guys play a lot better/worse on game day than in practice.