2018 captains

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I guess that resolves any potential QB controversy. You are not likely to have one of your captains on the bench after kickoff...

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Some of y'all are impossible. Just because he was voted captain does not mean that he will be starting QB. It means that his teammates value his leadership and decided that he was their captain. I still fully expect a QB battle over the spring and through fall camp. Congratulations to TQM and BM!! They deserve it!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Was he a mistake when he put up 655 yards of offense the first game of the season? He’s not a bad QB. With a better, healthy OL, TM will be just fine.
Who was injured o line man
We started w lee, braun, cooper, bryan/ sham, stickler. Brady had some time at lees spot. Braun and cooper played virttually every down. Early on bryan wass at guard w stick at right tackle. Bryan helped at tackle and sham came in.
Then sham and stick finished the season on right side.
If there were a lot of ol injuries, who got real playing time besides the players named?
Lots of missed assignments. Last game of season - typical
T q goes out side while ot blocks down and og heads up middle. Nobody is injured , they just didnt improve.
P. S. The head coach for Tennessee is unemployed.
20171231_212907.jpg

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
One of the big things that everyone complained the 2017 team lacked was vocal leadership. Say what you want about the QB battle, but if this give the team a pair of leaders who will get the team going in the 4th quarter then I'm all for it. Too many times it looked like our players on the sideline were just sitting there expecting to lose. One thing I loved about TM last year was after his early issue of sulking on the sideline he acknowledged he couldn't do that and made a change. After that I always saw him going up and trying to energize other players.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Some of y'all are impossible. Just because he was voted captain does not mean that he will be starting QB. It means that his teammates value his leadership and decided that he was their captain. I still fully expect a QB battle over the spring and through fall camp. Congratulations to TQM and BM!! They deserve it!

This. The players decide who the captains are. The coach decides who starts and he will go with the guy he thinks is best. It may or may not be TaQuon. His teammates obviously like him and believe in him, so of course he deserves the honor.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah the players picked TaQuon as captain -not the coaches. It doesn’t decide anything, starter-wise. Both Marshall and Mitchell could get beat-out in spring if someone steps up.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Was he a mistake when he put up 655 yards of offense the first game of the season? He’s not a bad QB. With a better, healthy OL, TM will be just fine.[/QUOTE
Sorry, but I don't think any ACC caliber QB is going to be "just fine" unless he is a credible passer. We can beat equal or lesser talent with a power running game. We cannot beat higher caliber defenses that stack the box without fear of the pass.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess I’m just dense, but I don’t think he was that bad a passer. I do think he was the most talented runner we have had at the position this far. The thing I was disappointed in was he seemed to regress in reading the TO towards the end of the season. I thought there were a lot of yards left on the field by not correctly reading his first key.

Here’s to him improving his reads next year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Who was injured o line man
We started w lee, braun, cooper, bryan/ sham, stickler. Brady had some time at lees spot. Braun and cooper played virttually every down. Early on bryan wass at guard w stick at right tackle. Bryan helped at tackle and sham came in.
Then sham and stick finished the season on right side.
If there were a lot of ol injuries, who got real playing time besides the players named?
Lots of missed assignments. Last game of season - typical
T q goes out side while ot blocks down and og heads up middle. Nobody is injured , they just didnt improve.
P. S. The head coach for Tennessee is unemployed.
View attachment 3289
This is sorta true. But …

First, no Marshall. We went into the season with our senior OT off the field.
Second, Stickler and Shamire both played hurt for the last half of the season after missing parts of our games.
Third, Will played out of position for a lot of the year. He did well, but he was out of position.
Four, you're forgetting Ivemeyer. Bailey started two games for us. He did better then most (i.e. me) expected, but nobody thought he would play full games.
Five, missed assignments? Consider 1 - 4 above and you might have an idea why this happened. We never had a full, healthy OL with the same players in the same positions on the field after the UNC game.

In short, given the lack of continuity, I was surprised we did as well as we did.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
There are lots of people in this world who underestimate and underappreciate the value of player-led team leadership and its impact on the success/failure of a team. The fact that CPJ has decided to have the team select that leadership now as opposed to mid season is indicative of how much he understands and values it. It’s a brilliant move and shows that regardless of play calling and/or scheme, he’s a man who has the pulse of his team. This is the best move I’ve seen all offseason and now I’m a little more fired up for 2018 than I previously was. Leadership is the “it” factor that can help a team overcome shortcomings in talent a lot of times. It doesn’t matter if it’s the gridiron, the conference room, or the battle field... leadership can either make or break you.

Players play and coaches coach. Lots of times folks tend to overlook the fact that the team has to decide how dedicated to each other they are and how much effort they are going to put forth to get where they want to be. Congratulations to both Taquon and Brant. Johnson is absolutely correct when he says it’s an honor to have your peers elect you to be their leader. They’ve got a big task before them this year, and regardless of whether or not they start this coming season, being a Captain is a full time starting position in its own right.

Give ‘em Hell, boys!

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I guess I’m just dense, but I don’t think he was that bad a passer. I do think he was the most talented runner we have had at the position this far. The thing I was disappointed in was he seemed to regress in reading the TO towards the end of the season. I thought there were a lot of yards left on the field by not correctly reading his first key.

Here’s to him improving his reads next year.
The defenses later in the season were better. Mainly they were better at shedding blocks at the LOS. Funny how the quality of TM’s reads directly correlated with the quality of the opponent.