2018 ACC Football Kickoff

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’d like to know all of the things that happened at Clemson over the past decade. They have won at least 10 games every year since 2011. For the 20 seasons before 2011, they averaged 7.2 wins per season and did not have a 10-win season during that 20 years. When Dabo took over in 2009, I feel like he had a lot to overcome when recruiting. I don’t really think much of Clemson’s campus or the surrounding area, their academic reputation is okay, and they weren’t doing well on the field either. So how did he start bringing in these recruits? How did he get Deshawn Watson out of GT’s and UGA’s backyard? I presume he sold him and other recruits on the idea that they could be winners if they took a chance on him. In eight years, middle of nowhere Clemson went from a 7-6 team to winning a National Championship.

Anyway, go ahead and say we aren’t Clemson - we have higher academic standards, fewer alumni, Clemson is an outlier, etc.

By the way, GT now has a Sports, Society, and Technology program. Maybe they’ve had it a while but I just found it today.

https://hsoc.gatech.edu/sports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imo he really turned the corner by outlasting Spurrier. They were on the rise already but since then Clemson has risen higher.

Edit: also, say what U want about Drad...but he built one helluva nice b-ball facility for us. Clemson has focused a lot on football since he got there but they’ve built facilities like crazy since.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Imo he really turned the corner by outlasting Spurrier. They were on the rise already but since then Clemson has risen higher.

Edit: also, say what U want about Drad...but he built one helluva nice b-ball facility for us. Clemson has focused a lot on football since he got there but they’ve built facilities like crazy since.
When Clemson named Dabo head coach I didn't think he would be there long. But he did a great job hiring coordinators and assistant coaches and let's them coach. And it helps that Clemson was willing to pay them to keep them.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I did some research. In 2010, Clemson spent $115,643 per athlete and that climbed to $178,184 by 2015. In 2010, GT spent $142,690 per athlete and that rose to $169,636 in 2015. These figures are in today’s dollars, adjusted for inflation.

http://spendingdatabase.knightcommission.org/fbs/acc

You need to look at more detail. You can compare GT and Clemson's number of athletes and spending on the EADA website. They don't list sports separately for coach's salaries, but for all men's sports Clemson pays head coaches and assistant coaches 50% more on average. Clemson's operating(game-day) expenses for football are 3 times GT's. Clemson's total expenses for football are double GT's. Clemson spends double what GT spends on football with the same number of football players. If what you are looking for is the impact on football, then the number to look at is $43 million(Clemson) vs $22 million (GT) spent on football.

Milwaukee

Banned
I’d like to know all of the things that happened at Clemson over the past decade. They have won at least 10 games every year since 2011. For the 20 seasons before 2011, they averaged 7.2 wins per season and did not have a 10-win season during that 20 years. When Dabo took over in 2009, I feel like he had a lot to overcome when recruiting. I don’t really think much of Clemson’s campus or the surrounding area, their academic reputation is okay, and they weren’t doing well on the field either. So how did he start bringing in these recruits? How did he get Deshawn Watson out of GT’s and UGA’s backyard? I presume he sold him and other recruits on the idea that they could be winners if they took a chance on him. In eight years, middle of nowhere Clemson went from a 7-6 team to winning a National Championship.

Anyway, go ahead and say we aren’t Clemson - we have higher academic standards, fewer alumni, Clemson is an outlier, etc.

By the way, GT now has a Sports, Society, and Technology program. Maybe they’ve had it a while but I just found it today.

https://hsoc.gatech.edu/sports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was well known in cfb that Clemson was a sleeping giant well before Dabo took over. They recruited extremely well and had a very large fan base. All they needed was someone to get them over the hump as far as on field results.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
They made a commitment in the early 70's to emphasize football and go big time. The last year there was no limit to scholarships they signed something like 50+ freshmen that year. Mr brother-in-law went to clemson his freshman year and one of the FB recruits came to Atlanta for the weekend. Not sure who was coaching then (Pell, Ford ?). Freshmen couldn't play back then.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
You need to look at more detail. You can compare GT and Clemson's number of athletes and spending on the EADA website. They don't list sports separately for coach's salaries, but for all men's sports Clemson pays head coaches and assistant coaches 50% more on average. Clemson's operating(game-day) expenses for football are 3 times GT's. Clemson's total expenses for football are double GT's. Clemson spends double what GT spends on football with the same number of football players. If what you are looking for is the impact on football, then the number to look at is $43 million(Clemson) vs $22 million (GT) spent on football.
Lots of money gets passed under the table in College Football to recruits and players that gets ignored by the NCAA...................................................just sayin';)

Not all Clemson fans are happy with his building frenzy

I have two Clemson alum friends who are not at all happy with the way DRad does things. I told them when DRad moved there that IMO DRad was all about building, building, building, in many cases ignoring the fans and traditions. Again, that was my take on DRad at Tech. Two years after he had been at Clemson, each of my friends told me that DRad was doing the same thing at Clemson I had warned them about, and they and others didn't like it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I have two Clemson alum friends who are not at all happy with the way DRad does things. I told them when DRad moved there that IMO DRad was all about building, building, building, in many cases ignoring the fans and traditions. Again, that was my take on DRad at Tech. Two years after he had been at Clemson, each of my friends told me that DRad was doing the same thing at Clemson I had warned them about, and they and others didn't like it.

Have they changed their minds post national championship and multiple playoff appearances?

Your friends sound insane.
What ticked me off most about DRad at Tech was his instituting the ticket fee with an apparent "if you don't like it, tough" attitude. Obviously we needed the ticket fee, since every other school in the country has one, but my section in the upper east emptied out between seasons when he started it. He showed no consideration for longtime ticket buyers at all, and he (we) lost them. I didn't leave, because I love the Jackets too much. But apparently many did, because sections 225 and 226 used to be filled every game prior to that. Now the two sections are lucky to be 1/3 full. I warned my friends not to be surprised if DRad starts pushing IPTAY aside, and they are seeing overtures of that. I also didn't like renaming Alexander Coliseum to feed the ego of a big donor. He's apparently doing that kind of thing at Clemson too.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ga Tech Drad
Building before getting great coaching that leads to winning. Built so much we cant afford coaching and recruiting.

Clemson Drad
Dabo fired DC Kevin Steele and paid a bunch to get Brent Venebles (ex OU). Please notec that this year several d l did not go in the draft BECAUSE FOOTBALL IS FUN AT CLEMSON and they are building new stuff. The front 4 are projected in top 10 of nfl draft.

What if t gt , Drad had raised money for staff and then buildings???.

For all the above errors , I have a feeling we will do well because we have Coach.

Ga Tech Drad
Building before getting great coaching that leads to winning. Built so much we cant afford coaching and recruiting.

Clemson Drad
Dabo fired DC Kevin Steele and paid a bunch to get Brent Venebles (ex OU). Please notec that this year several d l did not go in the draft BECAUSE FOOTBALL IS FUN AT CLEMSON and they are building new stuff. The front 4 are projected in top 10 of nfl draft.

What if t gt , Drad had raised money for staff and then buildings???.

For all the above errors , I have a feeling we will do well because we have Coach.
TOTALLY agree with everything you said.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I know that you enjoy forgetting this fact, but it is a reality that we have to deal with. O'Leary did not have to deal with APR. Chan only had to deal with APR for like 1 year. Saying that George reached the top 25 for 5 straight years "not that long ago" really ignores a significant factor.

That being said, I agree that we should not use it as an excuse, and we should keep our expectations and standards high.

And I know that you like forgetting this fact, but O'Leary sent grad students around to check on class attendance--sometimes twice to the same class to make sure the players didn't skip out in the middle. O'Leary would not have had an issue with APR if it had been in effect. He had high standards and strict rules for the players. He would leave a starter behind if he was one minute late for the bus. These high standards and demand for discipline carried over to the classroom and to results on the field.

But now we carry on with the ACC's 5th highest paid coach (in 2017), who has achieved the fewest wins in a three year period (2015-2017 at 17) since 1994-1996 (12)--the Lewis years. Comparing those 3 year periods, we have only averaged 1.3 FBS wins per year more than during the Lewis years.

It's not acceptable. The program has clearly declined in the last 10 years. I went on the Hive today and multiple posters stated that they have less enthusiasm for the upcoming season than they have ever had. We need someone who will pump some excitement into the program. We are losing fans---and we can't afford to lose fans. Changing DC's again is unlikely to be the remedy, although it worked when Lewis was here, thanks to a good decision by Homer Rice.