2018 ACC Football Kickoff

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
K cool and in 2009 we finished ranked #13 in the AP.

Again right where his salary says we "should've been"

OK, he earned his salary for one year. With Gailey's recruits.

And now you say we are about number 40, but we have a 9-15 record in the ACC over the last 3 years....how does that add up? You are showing your UGa education.

I'll stand by my original statement. He has underachieved given the 27 million ($27,000,000) dollars or so (plus benefits) he has taken out of the the GTAA in the last 1o years. His record shows it all. One game over .500 vs. FBS in the past 8 years when he no longer had Gailey's recruits. It's not even debatable that he has underachieved.

Why does the typical poster on this board defend the mediocrity of the football program? I'm not sure the average poster on here is a Tech fan. If they were, they would demand better and not defend the status quo.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
So we all agree CPJ doesn’t have the money to use to staff the way the factories do. And most will probably that has affected his staff decisions thus far, in O and in D.

So if CPJ did have factory resources, would he get factory like results even with our high academic standards limiting our recruiting pool?

Depends on what you mean by "factory". We aren't likely to be Alabama or even UGa. We won't cheat like Clemson.

I agree with Kim King--we can be a top 25 program, but not a national powerhouse like Alabama or Ohio State. O'Leary achieved 5 consecutive years of top 25 finishes, and not that long ago. But he had proper support from the GTAA---Homer---and Kim King. That is our big limiting factor, not academics. The leadership has been terrible. I don't have enough inside contacts anymore to know whether or not the Hill is dictating the leadership and holding us back, or whether Stansbury is moving things forward like Homer did. No matter who we bring in, it is going to take time to turn the ship around.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
OK, he earned his salary for one year. With Gailey's recruits.

And now you say we are about number 40, but we have a 9-15 record in the ACC over the last 3 years....how does that add up? You are showing your UGa education.

I'll stand by my original statement. He has underachieved given the 27 million ($27,000,000) dollars or so (plus benefits) he has taken out of the the GTAA in the last 1o years. His record shows it all. One game over .500 vs. FBS in the past 8 years when he no longer had Gailey's recruits. It's not even debatable that he has underachieved.

Why does the typical poster on this board defend the mediocrity of the football program? I'm not sure the average poster on here is a Tech fan. If they were, they would demand better and not defend the status quo.
2014, 2016 are easily him earning his money.......what people don’t understand is, not many college teams have had the success of GT over the past decade. Fans have exspectations but those exspectations are so unreasonable it’s not even funny. There only been 5 teams or so that have even won 9 games per season over the past 3 years and that’s out of what? 100 or so D1 schools. It’s all about knowing the game and how things actually work.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Depends on what you mean by "factory". We aren't likely to be Alabama or even UGa. We won't cheat like Clemson.

I agree with Kim King--we can be a top 25 program, but not a national powerhouse like Alabama or Ohio State. O'Leary achieved 5 consecutive years of top 25 finishes, and not that long ago. But he had proper support from the GTAA---Homer---and Kim King. That is our big limiting factor, not academics. The leadership has been terrible. I don't have enough inside contacts anymore to know whether or not the Hill is dictating the leadership and holding us back, or whether Stansbury is moving things forward like Homer did. No matter who we bring in, it is going to take time to turn the ship around.

I didn’t say anything about cheating. I mentioned resources. Money in particular for salaries and facilities.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
2014, 2016 are easily him earning his money.......what people don’t understand is, not many college teams have had the success of GT over the past decade. Fans have exspectations but those exspectations are so unreasonable it’s not even funny. There only been 5 teams or so that have even won 9 games per season over the past 3 years and that’s out of what? 100 or so D1 schools. It’s all about knowing the game and how things actually work.

So even factories spending huge bucks are failing to meet the demands of some here? Who’d have thunk it?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

O’Leary didn’t even come close to playing the competition we now play. So that’s an apples to oranges conversation.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/be...-best-record-boise-state-ohio-state-most-wins

Here’s a look back in time to a 2015 article. Some of the same names are still front and center. Some have risen. Some have fallen.

How come VPI has fallen off? Why isn’t TX a national power to compete with bammer? Talk about a huge factory there and they are on life support.

Answer. It ain’t easy winning big consistently even for huge big money factories. We ain’t huge, we don’t spend huge mone; but many demand (we all desire) Tech to achieve the highest level of success anyway year in and year out, no drop offs tolerated.

Can we become a team that averages 9-10 wins per year for 10 straight years? Yeah. If everything, and I mean everything goes near perfect for us.

What would near perfect constitute? Imo keeping CPJ for another 10 years (or getting someone his equal), back to back 10 win seasons starting this year, Woody making our D into what we have all desired for so long (and not losing him to a factory), getting some lucky bounces in at least a couple big games each year, continue to upgrade facilities. For starters.

What odds would Vegas give us to do it? Who other than Tech fans would place that bet? How many Tech fans would? Is everyone who wouldn’t crazy?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I know that you enjoy forgetting this fact, but it is a reality that we have to deal with. O'Leary did not have to deal with APR. Chan only had to deal with APR for like 1 year. Saying that George reached the top 25 for 5 straight years "not that long ago" really ignores a significant factor.

That being said, I agree that we should not use it as an excuse, and we should keep our expectations and standards high.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/be...-best-record-boise-state-ohio-state-most-wins

Here’s a look back in time to a 2015 article. Some of the same names are still front and center. Some have risen. Some have fallen.

How come VPI has fallen off? Why isn’t TX a national power to compete with bammer? Talk about a huge factory there and they are on life support.

Answer. It ain’t easy winning big consistently even for huge big money factories. We ain’t huge, we don’t spend huge mone; but many demand (we all desire) Tech to achieve the highest level of success anyway year in and year out, no drop offs tolerated.

Can we become a team that averages 9-10 wins per year for 10 straight years? Yeah. If everything, and I mean everything goes near perfect for us.

What would near perfect constitute? Imo keeping CPJ for another 10 years (or getting someone his equal), back to back 10 win seasons starting this year, Woody making our D into what we have all desired for so long (and not losing him to a factory), getting some lucky bounces in at least a couple big games each year, continue to upgrade facilities. For starters.

What odds would Vegas give us to do it? Who other than Tech fans would place that bet? How many Tech fans would? Is everyone who wouldn’t crazy?

I’d like to know all of the things that happened at Clemson over the past decade. They have won at least 10 games every year since 2011. For the 20 seasons before 2011, they averaged 7.2 wins per season and did not have a 10-win season during that 20 years. When Dabo took over in 2009, I feel like he had a lot to overcome when recruiting. I don’t really think much of Clemson’s campus or the surrounding area, their academic reputation is okay, and they weren’t doing well on the field either. So how did he start bringing in these recruits? How did he get Deshawn Watson out of GT’s and UGA’s backyard? I presume he sold him and other recruits on the idea that they could be winners if they took a chance on him. In eight years, middle of nowhere Clemson went from a 7-6 team to winning a National Championship.

Anyway, go ahead and say we aren’t Clemson - we have higher academic standards, fewer alumni, Clemson is an outlier, etc.

By the way, GT now has a Sports, Society, and Technology program. Maybe they’ve had it a while but I just found it today.

https://hsoc.gatech.edu/sports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I’d like to know all of the things that happened at Clemson over the past decade. They have won at least 10 games every year since 2011. For the 20 seasons before 2011, they averaged 7.2 wins per season and did not have a 10-win season during that 20 years. When Dabo took over in 2009, I feel like he had a lot to overcome when recruiting. I don’t really think much of Clemson’s campus or the surrounding area, their academic reputation is okay, and they weren’t doing well on the field either. So how did he start bringing in these recruits? How did he get Deshawn Watson out of GT’s and UGA’s backyard? I presume he sold him and other recruits on the idea that they could be winners if they took a chance on him. In eight years, middle of nowhere Clemson went from a 7-6 team to winning a National Championship.

Anyway, go ahead and say we aren’t Clemson - we have higher academic standards, fewer alumni, Clemson is an outlier, etc.

By the way, GT now has a Sports, Society, and Technology program. Maybe they’ve had it a while but I just found it today.

https://hsoc.gatech.edu/sports

This is what happened $$$$$$$$$$

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Which came first? The chicken or the egg? My guess is that Dabo got people to buy into what he was doing and people started donating and the program started building. I doubt the money came in overnight.

The way Alabama and Clemson turned around so quickly are probably very,very similar and i bet violating NCAA recruiting rules is part of the reason why;):rolleyes:

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer