2018 ACC Football Kickoff

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
And I know that you like forgetting this fact, but O'Leary sent grad students around to check on class attendance--sometimes twice to the same class to make sure the players didn't skip out in the middle. O'Leary would not have had an issue with APR if it had been in effect. He had high standards and strict rules for the players. He would leave a starter behind if he was one minute late for the bus. These high standards and demand for discipline carried over to the classroom and to results on the field.

But now we carry on with the ACC's 5th highest paid coach (in 2017), who has achieved the fewest wins in a three year period (2015-2017 at 17) since 1994-1996 (12)--the Lewis years. Comparing those 3 year periods, we have only averaged 1.3 FBS wins per year more than during the Lewis years.

It's not acceptable. The program has clearly declined in the last 10 years. I went on the Hive today and multiple posters stated that they have less enthusiasm for the upcoming season than they have ever had. We need someone who will pump some excitement into the program. We are losing fans---and we can't afford to lose fans. Changing DC's again is unlikely to be the remedy, although it worked when Lewis was here, thanks to a good decision by Homer Rice.

Okay, so CPJ needs to go. That’s what you’re saying, right? I’m very concerned that we will go through 3-4 years of rebuilding whenever he leaves unless we hire someone running a similar offense. He’s been recruiting for this offense for ten years and I’m not sure this personnel is right for the more common offenses run in college football. What say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so CPJ needs to go. That’s what you’re saying, right? I’m very concerned that we will go through 3-4 years of rebuilding whenever he leaves unless we hire someone running a similar offense. He’s been recruiting for this offense for ten years and I’m not sure this personnel is right for the more common offenses run in college football. What say you?

You are right there will be 2-3 years of rebuilding when the next GT head coach installs the spread or pro-set offense(y)

Milwaukee

Banned

I agreed with his post completely but I don't think PJ needs to go. Just fwiw

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
And I know that you like forgetting this fact, but O'Leary sent grad students around to check on class attendance--sometimes twice to the same class to make sure the players didn't skip out in the middle. O'Leary would not have had an issue with APR if it had been in effect. He had high standards and strict rules for the players. He would leave a starter behind if he was one minute late for the bus. These high standards and demand for discipline carried over to the classroom and to results on the field.

But now we carry on with the ACC's 5th highest paid coach (in 2017), who has achieved the fewest wins in a three year period (2015-2017 at 17) since 1994-1996 (12)--the Lewis years. Comparing those 3 year periods, we have only averaged 1.3 FBS wins per year more than during the Lewis years.

It's not acceptable. The program has clearly declined in the last 10 years. I went on the Hive today and multiple posters stated that they have less enthusiasm for the upcoming season than they have ever had. We need someone who will pump some excitement into the program. We are losing fans---and we can't afford to lose fans. Changing DC's again is unlikely to be the remedy, although it worked when Lewis was here, thanks to a good decision by Homer Rice.
5th highest paid as the 4th best program since he’s been here. I’ll take it, thanks for the info.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I agreed with his post completely but I don't think PJ needs to go. Just fwiw

I don’t think he needs to go either but we still have 41 days until kickoff so I’m curious what he and others think about CPJ’s eventual departure...now or a few years from now. I’m thinking this could be 1981 bad and I’d like to kick that can down the road for as long as we can.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has got to get this team to at least a minor bowl game this year. Otherwise, y'all know everyone on these GT fan websites are going to be hollering. Does anyone know how well the fundraising is going for the new Edge facility?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has got to get this team to at least a minor bowl game this year. Otherwise, y'all know everyone on these GT fan websites are going to be hollering. Does anyone know how well the fundraising is going for the new Edge facility?

$30 million out of $125 million for all fundraising. The Edge facility accounts for $70 million of the $125 million.

http://www.gtathl.com/2020/

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Here’s what the fundraising looked like in early June, idk why it has not been updated or if there is another place that has it updated.

https://atfund.gatech.edu/AD-priorities

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think he needs to go either but we still have 41 days until kickoff so I’m curious what he and others think about CPJ’s eventual departure...now or a few years from now. I’m thinking this could be 1981 bad and I’d like to kick that can down the road for as long as we can.

I really like CPJ and hope that he is able to retire from Tech. However, I think that we will be able to run any system that we want to after he is gone. There will probably be a year or two where the guys learn the new offense and it doesn't click as much, but we can transition to most any offense from this one. We already run a spread, our QB just plays from under center.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Add to that, that there is a lot less entertainment options to do in Clemson on a game day (any day really) than than in Atlanta.

May be true, bit that is way down the list of things hurting GT.

How many season ticket holders for ugag live in Athens, how many CU season ticket holders live in Clemson, Auburn in Auburn?

As to another quote from the interview regarding us practicing the passing game as much as any school in the country - well our coaches just indicted themselves

Finally, I wonder if any of his N.C. mountain neighbors are UM fans going up to escape the heat?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Since its still the off season - but once practice starts no more coach is being replaced stuff.

We have highly complex offense that only a few coaches use because can use non factory power 5 athletes working like a well oiled machine. We have had success w this offense but soon we will know if our recent years of not so good (save dedrick mills 1 year shooting star) are a trend or the bottom of a cycle.

Hypo after 4-8

What to do if a change?
Don't run with the pack!

Since holding is totally legal i ask the linemen to bulk up. They would be the size of the 14 team that beat clemson, uga, barely lost to fsu and beat MSU. Rt E Joe 340, rg shaq 310, Center 330, lg (part time) Sham 370, Rt chamberlin 320.

i would ask Coach or his replacement to go to the Hawaii offense after i found a 6'5" quarterback with a cannon arm who could also academically pass intro to calculus. Many passing qb are not used in the current offenses. NFL still needs these guys as qbs I ask coach to promise first qb he would play half of every game. We would need to get a few transfer w r s and then once the word of the 6 5 qb , recruit nation wide for a TOP wr with same promise - "u come u" play half each game. In the other half i would play a run pass qb.

IMPORTANT IMPORTANT
What i would not due is recruit issues or second chance folks.

On defense i would make no changes in system except be even more aggressive because we want the ball back and don't want u on the field long.

Oh we went 8-4. Who were those idiots that wanted to change. This is fun!
Maybe get some new younger coaches on ol and train them under COACH.
Put Coach on a long term consultant contract and bring in a younger Flex option Head coach from Army, Navy...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
May be true, bit that is way down the list of things hurting GT.

How many season ticket holders for ugag live in Athens, how many CU season ticket holders live in Clemson, Auburn in Auburn?

As to another quote from the interview regarding us practicing the passing game as much as any school in the country - well our coaches just indicted themselves

Finally, I wonder if any of his N.C. mountain neighbors are UM fans going up to escape the heat?
My comment was in regards to the students... Not arguing about the other potential fans.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

Amen

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Mmmm... I’m a CPJ fan so don’t take thisvthe wrong way. But the only thing we would need to change personnel wise with a new O scheme is adding a couple tight ends. Everything else would fit right into a different scheme.

Animal02

Banned
I did some research. In 2010, Clemson spent $115,643 per athlete and that climbed to $178,184 by 2015. In 2010, GT spent $142,690 per athlete and that rose to $169,636 in 2015. These figures are in today’s dollars, adjusted for inflation.

http://spendingdatabase.knightcommission.org/fbs/acc

Those numbers are misleading. All adjusted for inflation.
Football spending.....
Clemson
2010. - $218,770 2015 - $ 276,431.
Tech
2010 - $185,904 2015 - $212,253

Now the real important numbers....without scholarships included
Clemson
2010 - 183,598. 2015 - $238,523 (30% increase)
Tech
2010 - $152,328. 2015 - $169,097. (11% increase)

Clemson was spending 20% more than Tech in 2010 and it is now around 40%

And just for kicks
Without scholarships
Alabama
2010 - $328,776. 2015 - $385,198
Georgia
2010 - $196,498. 2015 - $238,040

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

It seems that you don't understand APR.

I'm a big fan of George and don't take anything away from how he ran our program.

Still, when he was making sure guys went to class, it was often to for credits that didn't advance them to degrees. Our graduation rate was lower. We ultimately had flunkgate.

Even with that being the Hill's fault, it shows that it was a different time with respect to the kind of athletes we brought in.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Those numbers are misleading. All adjusted for inflation.
Football spending.....
Clemson
2010. - $218,770 2015 - $ 276,431.
Tech
2010 - $185,904 2015 - $212,253

Now the real important numbers....without scholarships included
Clemson
2010 - 183,598. 2015 - $238,523 (30% increase)
Tech
2010 - $152,328. 2015 - $169,097. (11% increase)

Clemson was spending 20% more than Tech in 2010 and it is now around 40%

And just for kicks
Without scholarships
Alabama
2010 - $328,776. 2015 - $385,198
Georgia
2010 - $196,498. 2015 - $238,040

Where did you get your numbers and why do you think these numbers are misleading? Spending per athlete is pretty straightforward and the numbers came from public reports filed by NCAA Division I institutions, adjusted for inflation.