2018 ACC Football Kickoff

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Being taken out of context imo. All he’s trying to say is, you can win without being balanced. It’s really just that simple but people are looking into it to much as if he’s comparing GT and UGA in their balance when that’s not what he was doing.
Here's the thing about johnson, he will always whine about things that Tech doesn't have for the football program.Some of that has changed since Stansbury arrived. Yet he continues as he did at the ACC meetings to point out what other schools (clemson) has that he doesn't have access to. Do what you get paid for, recruit,coach,do interviews, go out and talk up Tech football and invite people out to the games. Sell the program and quit bitching!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the thing about johnson, he will always whine about things that Tech doesn't have for the football program.Some of that has changed since Stansbury arrived. Yet he continues as he did at the ACC meetings to point out what other schools (clemson) has that he doesn't have access to. Do what you get paid for, recruit,coach,do interviews, go out and talk up Tech football and invite people out to the games. Sell the program and quit bitching!
And some folks will whine about Johnson, regardless of whether they heard or understand the context of the question. Yes, he CPJ has his warts, but come on. The question was specifically about Clemson and the arms race.

Listen to this interview. If you don't have time for all 10 min, at least listen to the first 2 and CPJ's answer to "why should someone go to Georgia Tech"?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
And some folks will whine about Johnson, regardless of whether they heard or understand the context of the question. Yes, he CPJ has his warts, but come on. The question was specifically about Clemson and the arms race.

Listen to this interview. If you don't have time for all 10 min, at least listen to the first 2 and CPJ's answer to "why should someone go to Georgia Tech"?

While in my opinion Johnson has under performed in view of his paycheck, he is Vince Lombardi compared to the Administration at the GTAA since Homer retired and Kim King died. I knew things would get worse due to those 2 events, but the Clough/Braine/Radakovich/Bigfoot combo was just horrible. Radakovich was the star of that group, which says a lot.

People really don't understand what a great fundraiser Homer was or how important that skill was to the program. A lot of that skill came from years of building relationships, which you don't rebuild overnight. However, as Braine and Radakovich did, it's easy to spend it overnight. A lot of bad decisions came from the GTAA and those in charge of the GTAA over the last 20 years.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
While in my opinion Johnson has under performed in view of his paycheck, he is Vince Lombardi compared to the Administration at the GTAA since Homer retired and Kim King died. I knew things would get worse due to those 2 events, but the Clough/Braine/Radakovich/Bigfoot combo was just horrible. Radakovich was the star of that group, which says a lot.

People really don't understand what a great fundraiser Homer was or how important that skill was to the program. A lot of that skill came from years of building relationships, which you don't rebuild overnight. However, as Braine and Radakovich did, it's easy to spend it overnight. A lot of bad decisions came from the GTAA and those in charge of the GTAA over the last 20 years.

“Under preformed based on his paycheck”

Is frankly laughable. He’s always been roughly #40 on the coaches salary list which is right where GT has finished in his time here.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sugiura: In first-ever Georgia Tech-Louisville matchup, plenty of familiarity
“We work (the preparation of the defense) together, but the good thing is, coach VanGorder played against (Johnson’s offense) also and so he has some great beliefs in how to stop the option,” Petrino said.
Asked about VanGorder on Wednesday, Johnson was ready with a reply.

“Well, we saw him at Notre Dame,” Johnson said. “We also saw him two years ago at Georgia.”
Lot of info and quotes in this one.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
As an outsider, Johnson seems to have a better grasp about the realities of what GT football is and isn’t when it comes to comparing it the rest of Today’s college football. Some of you homers sometimes sound just as delusional, about what you think the program should be vs what it can be, as those from bigger state programs do. You can’t make chicken soup out of chicken $#!+, no matter how much you want to or think you can. Go Jackets!

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
You can’t make chicken soup out of chicken $#!+, no matter how much you want to or think you can.

I won’t name names because I know some of you folks on here are sensitive but there are colleges that have done just that, in my opinion. So many on here talk about Tech’s disadvantages but we have quite a few advantages that other schools don’t have. I don’t expect us to be in the top 10 every year but I do think we could end the season in the top 25 regularly and every so often have a great year like 2014. If I didn’t this was possible, I’d spend the Fall camping or golfing instead of at BDS screaming my head off. Go Jackets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Johnson has said we can win championships at GT. He has admitted to being dissatisfied with our inconsistency.

The only program in the country that has consistently played for championships is bammer. Winning ain’t easy, there is a lot of parity in college football today. Winning at a high level year in and year out is even harder.

We haven’t done the latter as much as anyone wants to. There are a multitude of reasons why. Some here just don’t like hearing some / any? of the reasons why it hasn’t happened.

Get a top 40 D with some top 20 Ds from time to time and we are probably all living in the best of times. Let’s hope we are starting down that path now.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I won’t name names because I know some of you folks on here are sensitive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At one time I didn't think so but after reading about people worried about uniforms and the what shade of gold to wear I'm going to agree we have some very sensitive people. I find it kind of funny.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
“Under preformed based on his paycheck”

Is frankly laughable. He’s always been roughly #40 on the coaches salary list which is right where GT has finished in his time here.

When Paul Johnson was hired, he was paid top 15 money at $2.4 million/year. That was twice what Gailey made at $1.2 million/year. He may be at number 40 in 2018 due to escalating salaries, but not "in his time here."

Seems the laugh is on you.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
When Paul Johnson was hired, he was paid top 15 money at $2.4 million/year. That was twice what Gailey made at $1.2 million/year. He may be at number 40 in 2018 due to escalating salaries, but not "in his time here."

Seems the laugh is on you.
K cool and in 2009 we finished ranked #13 in the AP.

Again right where his salary says we "should've been"

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So we all agree CPJ doesn’t have the money to use to staff the way the factories do. And most will probably that has affected his staff decisions thus far, in O and in D.

So if CPJ did have factory resources, would he get factory like results even with our high academic standards limiting our recruiting pool?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
So we all agree CPJ doesn’t have the money to use to staff the way the factories do. And most will probably that has affected his staff decisions thus far, in O and in D.

So if CPJ did have factory resources, would he get factory like results even with our high academic standards limiting our recruiting pool?
If GT was loaded with money i think they would be like Stanford who since 2009 have averaged pretty much 8-10 wins a season even with their high academic standards;)

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan

His results prior to 2008 would prove the answer to that question as a resounding “Yes”. His prior stints may not be apples to apples with regards to his time at GT as to the competition, but with respect to those schools’ opponents, in the relative sense, he has done remarkably well with limited resources (Hawaii, GaSo, NAVY...)

I’m not sure why this is still up for discussion. One day, the football world is going to look back on him and appreciate him for the HOF coach he was and we’ll all be wishing we still had him.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer

Not with our academic standards...