2018 ACC Football Kickoff

Actually they've got only around 3000 more students so whatever not a huge difference. That shouldn't be used by anybody as an excuse

I forgot to note that I was using figures from Fall Semester 2017 so if you are using more current numbers, you would undoubtedly be correct.

Fall 2017 Enrollments -

GA Tech -

Total - 29,370
Undergraduate - 15,572

Clemson -

Total - 24,387
Undergraduate - 19,402

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Actually they've got only around 3000 more students so whatever not a huge difference. That shouldn't be used by anybody as an excuse

I know "context" is a dirty word on message boards, but listen to the question and full answer. CPJ references the arms race in college football/athletics. When you have larger student body, that equals a larger alumni base, which can presumably fill a larger stadium. So the revenues that schools can derive from 80-100k stadium dwarfs middle-of-the-pack schools (like GT) when you start looking at multiplier effect of premium seating, seat license fees, concessions, parking, etc.

CPJ added that GT has held their own against Clemson during their tenure, but a lot has changed between 2008 and 2018. Clemson has successfully executed a plan that accentuates their advantages. His point is that GT can't take the Clemson blueprint and expect to have the same results, and he mentions the aspects that differentiate Georgia Tech:

“But I don't think that everybody has to try to do that to compete,” he said. “Everybody has to be positive with what they have. We've got a great school academically. We're in a great city. We have a lot of positives that we can sell rather than facilities sometimes."

CPJ is answering the question as a football coach and as an observer of college football, rather than a diehard fan. (It should be noted that the writer asking the question covers Clemson, so he's likely looking for affirmation that Clemson is doing it better than everyone else.)

I'm sure if CPJ has said that "There's no difference between GT and Clemson, and we should spend the same amount of money and recruit the same players," everyone would would think he's suffering from CTE (expect Fedora).

As an aside, one interesting thing about Clemson is that athletics does not get any money from student athletic fees. They still give free tickets, but priority goes to student IPTAY members, which is a great way to grease the pipeline for donations after graduation.

http://clemsontigers.com/sports/tickets/facilities/studenttickets/

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
A large number of our graduate students are in the online CS Masters program, so they literally never set foot on campus. That has increased our overall enrollment by several thousand in the past few years, but they are not what you would consider to be "actual" on campus graduate students.

Tbh you would've never thought we had 5000 more students. Kind of surprising

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Clemson 18,599
GT 15,489

Google is your friend
Oh, and UGa 28,848

They have 1.86 times the number of students and more than that ratio in local alumni (since GT alums go much further geographically than UGa alums) but somehow they are still proud that they draw an attendance that is 1.98 more than GT's....right in line with their ratios for students and alumni in the area.....

Don't get me wrong...I'd love to see 90,000 GT fans in a stadium, but with our base compared to theirs, it really isn'y going to happen without some huge changes.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Graduate students rarely get out and about; we usually keep them chained up in dungeons doing research for their thesis advisors.
...and a *significant* proportion of graduate students are international.....(they don't count)

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow i thought Clemson had more students that that:wideyed: I thought Clemson would have about the same number of students as Tennessee who has 28,321;)

And there it is. No thread is complete until Mike brings Tenn into the conversation. Even found a way to work them into the ACC Football Kickoff conversation. Well done, Mike. Well done. As a reward, I speak your language... :notworthy:(y):unsure::sorry:

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Oh, and UGa 28,848

They have 1.86 times the number of students and more than that ratio in local alumni (since GT alums go much further geographically than UGa alums) but somehow they are still proud that they draw an attendance that is 1.98 more than GT's....right in line with their ratios for students and alumni in the area.....

Don't get me wrong...I'd love to see 90,000 GT fans in a stadium, but with our base compared to theirs, it really isn'y going to happen without some huge changes.

While the number of current students, alums, and alum location matters, I think the difference between a good fanbase and a great fanbase is the number of sidewalk fans. I feel like GT has a relatively small, but extremely loyal, number of sidewalk fans. We need more of them but how do you do that? I started out in life as a Dwag fan. Why? Because my family members are Dwag fans. I didn’t turn into a GT fan until I got disgusted with UGA continually losing to Florida and around the same time I saw how scrappy GT was against UVA in 1998. Later, I attended GT so my loyalties are now cemented and now I’m the family outcast.

Ugh! I need a shower. I can’t believe that I was a Dwag fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Add to that, that there is a lot less entertainment options to do in Clemson on a game day (any day really) than than in Atlanta.
You are incorrect. My daughter goes to Clemson and they really don’t have any other entertainment options other than to road trip Atlanta;)

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Even then, most of their students grew up in the states and know about football. I’d like to know how many students at GT have never heard or watched a game compared to Clemson. We are talking about two totally different type of students for the most part.
Additionally From a historical perspective, Tech was smaller therefore the alumni base available is probably much larger if you measure for example total undergraduates for the past 40 years.
This may sound crass but for many Clemson supporters, Clemson is the first, second, third and fourth thing they support. For example the farmer in SC doesn’t really care about or have other teams like the Falcons or the many other entertainment options Tech fans typically enjoy.