2018 ACC Football Kickoff

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
TigerNet: Georgia Tech QB Says Tigers' defensive line best in "college football, ever"
upload_2018-7-25_9-52-28.png

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
5th highest paid as the 4th best program since he’s been here. I’ll take it, thanks for the info.

4th best program in your opinion. What do you have to back up your opinion?
9-15 in the ACC for the last 3 years?
1 game over .500 vs. FBS for the last 8 years (thank you UCF for canceling the game)?
Only 1.3 FBS wins/yr. better over the last 3 years than the three Lewis years('94-96)--and we played one less game/yr. during the Lewis years than we have the last 3 years?
Hasn't had two consecutive winning FBS seasons since 2008-2009 when he had Gailey's recruits?
Those numbers indicate the 4th best program?

You'll take that? With so many so called fans having a similar attitude, it's not hard to see why our program is so mediocre, or at least it was mediocre from 2010-2014.

And he was the 5th highest paid in 2017 if you read and understood my post (and you obviously did not). He was higher in the pay rankings in years gone by. He certainly hasn't had the 4th best program for the last 3 years, but he has still taken $9 million from the GTAA. $1 million for each ACC win.

Animal02

Banned
1 game over .500 vs. FBS for the last 8 years (thank you UCF for canceling the game)?
Only 1.3 FBS wins/yr. better over the last 3 years than the three Lewis years('94-96)--and we played one less game/yr. during the Lewis years than we have the last 3 years?
Hasn't had two consecutive winning FBS seasons since 2008-2009 when he had Gailey's recruits?

You'll take that? With so many so called fans having a similar attitude, it's not hard to see why our program is so mediocre, or at least it was mediocre from 2010-2014.

And he was the 5th highest paid in 2017 if you read and understood my post (and you obviously did not). He was higher in the pay rankings in years gone by. He certainly hasn't had the 4th best program for the last 3 years, but he has still taken $9 million from the GTAA. $1 million for each ACC win.
So many fans have a similar attitude because they ar e smart enough to know that a school that spends 169k per player is not in the same universe with teams that spend 238k to 385k per player regardless of ho w much the head coach is paid. In fact, some may actually realize that the reason the coach is highly paid is to keep a quality coach despite spending well below the league average per player.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

I'm sorry, but I hate how people keep bringing up 2015 or this last 3 years crap. Why don't you go back to the last 4? I'm not happy with mediocrity and I'm not happy with how last season played out, but CPJ is still a very good coach and we have a good program. In his 10 years here (since you apparently don't want to look at the whole picture) he has averaged 7.5 wins which puts him on par with only a few of our coaches historically.

Also, you keep bringing up how he is the 5th highest paid coach, but he is also the offensive coordinator. We also don't pump a ton of money into assistant coaches, facilities, or recruiting. Until you accept that we have limits, no coach that we get will make you happy. TStan is finally changing that and I think that we'll see the benefits from it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry, but I hate how people keep bringing up 2015 or this last 3 years crap. Why don't you go back to the last 4? I'm not happy with mediocrity and I'm not happy with how last season played out, but CPJ is still a very good coach and we have a good program. In his 10 years here (since you apparently don't want to look at the whole picture) he has averaged 7.5 wins which puts him on par with only a few of our coaches historically.

Also, you keep bringing up how he is the 5th highest paid coach, but he is also the offensive coordinator. We also don't pump a ton of money into assistant coaches, facilities, or recruiting. Until you accept that we have limits, no coach that we get will make you happy. TStan is finally changing that and I think that we'll see the benefits from it.

@jacketup doesn't like CPJ and chooses the data that supports his opinion. There's no sugar coating how bad our record has been the last 3 years. If a person wants to measure a head coach's ability after 22 years of HC experience by three years with no reference to injuries or strength of schedule, there's really nothing you can do about it.

It has also been pointed out to him more than once that when looking at CPJ's salary you also have to consider the money saved by not paying an OC, but for some reason he thinks comparing just HC salaries tells the whole story. He seems to think that Dabo and Saban could get the same results if they had dads volunteering at the assistant positions.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

That actually puts him on par with the bum we ran out of town ten years ago.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

The thing I have to back it up, which is probably the most important thing when talking about conference is, the 4th most acccg appearances. Name a team over the past 10 years as a whole that has been better that GT besides Clemson, VT, and FSU? You keep saying 3 years as if that’s what CPJ should be completely defined by, its gotten harder over the past 3 years because teams are getting better while he’s been getting no help until recently. You can say us fans are ridiculous all you want but it’s not true, we are looking at things in perspective. Your looking at nothing but record and record stats, when there is so much more. For you to say he needs to be gone you must understand football, so go beyond “stats” and give me reason of what he’s doing wrong on the field, show me what the team could be doing better from a playing stand point. You have these expectations but only a handful of teams actually meet your expectations, so why should GT meet those when they don’t put resources into it like other teams? And yet that’s the coaches fault? You need to go look at other schools and what they aren’t doing aswell, then you might realize it’s most teams in college football that are very inconsistent. Here’s a post I posted earlier in this thread, you tell me how it’s fair to blame CPJ after reading this.

1) Historically we haven’t been better than what we’ve been under CPJ for the most part.
2)We require calculus and while some might blow it off I can think of three kids right now who did not come to tech (from what I heard) or had to leave because of academics.
3) bottom half in funding in all of power 5 schools
4) about half the degree options as schools we are competing against.
5) until this year we had around 3 help staff members while schools like UGA had over 30.
6) edge center where student athletes hang out is not on par with other competing schools.
7) locker room had not been updated since the early 2000’s until this year.
8) Russell

I’ve said this before but let’s say you were the manager at a small store that sold TV’s but you only sold Vizio and only had 2 sales guys And your store was really outdated with mostly older model TV’s. Your boss comes to you and says he needs you to match the sales of the store down the road but won’t give you any more resources. The store down the road is new, bigger, sales all TV’s and newer models, plus has 10 sales guys. Are you going to think that’s a reasonable thing for your boss to ask? This is pretty much how I see GT be most other schools we compete against. Yet we have had more success than a lot of them over the past 10 years.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Except that he has beaten Georgia, won an ACC championship, and won an Orange Bowl.

He had the luxury of playing the worst Ugag teams since Ray Goof (still lost to most of them) and had two of his three best years with Chan’s players.

He has also lost to the Kansases and MTSUs of the world, ended our bowl streak, and is tied with Bill Lewis for most losing seasons at Tech in the past 30 years.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
He had the luxury of playing the worst Ugag teams since Ray Goof (still lost to most of them) and had two of his three best years with Chan’s players.

He has also lost to the Kansases and MTSUs of the world, ended our bowl streak, and is tied with Bill Lewis for most losing seasons at Tech in the past 30 years.
I also hate this arguement that he won with Chan's players. Yes, Chan Gailey recruited them, but he didn't coach them up to win those games. He has also beaten undefeated top 5 teams at home as well as won some big road games.

What planet has this idiot been living on?

Virginia running back Olamide Zaccheaus

“Their defense is always really good, and you know they’re going to come after the quarterback and they’re going to be confident with their DBs and they’re going to man them up sometimes, especially on the outsides. They’re a really good defense.”
My thoughts exactly.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Except you selectively forget/ignore that he has 3 wins over the mutts while "that bum" had none.

So? I know a lot of people have a little brother syndrome when it comes to UGA but beating them isn't more important than beating other teams. Hell, it's at most the 9th most important game we play.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Who cares who’s players they were? It’s impressive to take an offense like we run and in 1 year do what he did. That’s the measure of a good coach. Football was a lot easier in the years before CPJ aswell. Oh and BTW his best year was with HIS own players. You talk about us losing to teams we shouldn’t lose to but that happens to other teams all the time, you act like it’s just something GT does. Kentucky over LSU, app state over Michigan, Jacksonville state over ole miss, southern miss over Bama, Ga southern over Florida, James Madison over VT, Utah over Bama, and the list goes on. Once again very few teams accomplish the exspextations you have for GT, and you are complaining about stuff that happens to almost every college team.