2018 ACC Football Kickoff

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Once we brake through the “glass” we will be a lot better. I have a question for you and @knoxjacket what do you think the W-L record will be this year? And if we win 9 plus games what will you then say about CPJ? Serious question.
Because I am a GT fan first unlike alot of CPJ defenders i will be very happy.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I get you will be happy, but what do you think our record will be? And if we win 9 games what will you say about CPJ? Should he still go or would you want him to stay? Or what would it take for you to want him to stay?
If we win 9 games i would for sure say he should stay. But if one of those losses is by 40 to uga then maybe i change my mind

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If we win 9 games i would for sure say he should stay. But if one of those losses is by 40 to uga then maybe i change my mind
Well, we definitely see things differently but I can respect this! I think (but I could be wrong) that if we had that good year that some would want him gone no matter what.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Georgia worse? Disagree majorly. Clemson WAY better Duke WAY better UNC WAY better VT has not been worse either. Regardless of all that, have you read my comment about being a TV manager? I’d like to see your input on that analogy?

Also why are we worse? Look at my post eighth above this and you’ll see many reasons, add that into my analogy and you will see.

If you’re not willing to accept that Georgia was better 2002-2007 than 2008-2017 then there is nothing to discuss. They were top 8 all but one year during that 2002-2007 timeframe. They finished UNRANKED FIVE TIMES during Johnson’s tenure.

VT has finished unranked multiple times during Johnson’s tenure. They were top 10 three times and top 20 once during Gailey’s. Never unranked. Won 10 or 11 games annually.

Duke went from horrid to mediocre. UNC went from horrid to up and down. They are currently garbage. Miami is on the uptick but was basically the same. Virginia is substantially worse.

Simply maintaining the Chan Gailey Equilibrium would have turned us into an 8 win a year team with the state of the ACC and the watered down OOC.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Once we brake through the “glass” we will be a lot better. I have a question for you and @knoxjacket what do you think the W-L record will be this year? And if we win 9 plus games what will you then say about CPJ? Serious question.

Somewhere in the 5-7 to 7-5 range.

A good team wins 9 against that schedule so I would say he put together a good team. Double digits would be a great regular season.

Another losing season and it should be adios.

Animal02

Banned
That attitude is bound to set a glass ceiling. Tech athletics has fallen victim to a self fulfilling prophesy that is all to negative. Hard to understand.
Like the attitude of the posters here have much to due with it. :rolleyes:
Fact is, Alabame spends 385k per player, Tech spends 169k. Schools like Clemp and UGAG spend 40% more than Tech. Only fools will believe that a head coach only will consistently overcome that difference.

Animal02

Banned
It can be a fact but to what extent does it affect our program?. I acknowledge it has an effect but should we really be recruiting in the bottom quarter of the ACC with the talent around us? Duke is consistently out recruiting us. That is unacceptable regardless of the current paradigm. So yes, what you state is fact. But it’s also a fact that Paul Johnson hamstrings us both with his offense and personality in regards to recruiting. And for the record I’m not totally against Johnson. But to not acknowledge his flaws as a coach does our program no good.
Look at Duke's spending vs Tech....as well as the rest of the league. Only fools throw this all on the HC.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If you’re not willing to accept that Georgia was better 2002-2007 than 2008-2017 then there is nothing to discuss. They were top 8 all but one year during that 2002-2007 timeframe. They finished UNRANKED FIVE TIMES during Johnson’s tenure.

VT has finished unranked multiple times during Johnson’s tenure. They were top 10 three times and top 20 once during Gailey’s. Never unranked. Won 10 or 11 games annually.

Duke went from horrid to mediocre. UNC went from horrid to up and down. They are currently garbage. Miami is on the uptick but was basically the same. Virginia is substantially worse.

Simply maintaining the Chan Gailey Equilibrium would have turned us into an 8 win a year team with the state of the ACC and the watered down OOC.
UGA and VT have both been as good as under Gailey years even though not as consistent. It’s been more up and down, so I’ll give you that. However I will say wanting us to beat UGA more still isn’t a factor in CPJ being a bad coach. We have never really had more talent than them even when they weren’t ranked.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
And during that time, GT spending per player went from just above ACC average to well below. It just shows that the rest of the league has more than caught up.

Let’s see the numbers. I don’t want average. Clemson and FSU probably skew that drastically.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He's definetely not a troll. People aren't trolls just because they disagree with you.
He's completely negative on the current program and won't even recognize any of the positives. On top of that, all he does is repeat the same talking point as if it makes a bigger impact the 5th or 6th time. I call that a troll.

That said, his opinion is his own and he's entitled to it. When he presents it in the fashion I just described, it's very trollish.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
How many wins and losses hinge on a single possession? And how many of those single possessions hinge upon a single play? I just expect Tech to be competitive - on the field and in recruitment - and, if so, those possessions and plays will work themselves out.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Like the attitude of the posters here have much to due with it. :rolleyes:
Fact is, Alabame spends 385k per player, Tech spends 169k. Schools like Clemp and UGAG spend 40% more than Tech. Only fools will believe that a head coach only will consistently overcome that difference.
Lol. Nobody is saying that we don’t need to improve our facilities and the like. I have a problem when military academies are able to beat the likes of Duke and Virginia in a year we lose to them. Unless you think the military academies have a recruiting advantage over us this should disturb any tech fan I would think.

Animal02

Banned
Lol. Nobody is saying that we don’t need to improve our facilities and the like. I have a problem when military academies are able to beat the likes of Duke and Virginia in a year we lose to them. Unless you think the military academies have a recruiting advantage over us this should disturb any tech fan I would think.
Sometimes teams beat others because of individual matchups, plus the countless other variables on a given game day. It is as sill as making the argument that we beat so and so who beat another so and so who beat Team A.....there fore we are better than Team A

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
For some reason, we've been at a strategic disadvantage on defense during the Johnson years. Wommack disappeared, Groh was too complicated, and Roof was too conservative.

I don't know whether this was CPJ giving too much rope to his DCs, or whether we didn't have the funds to get who he wanted (IIRC, he wanted Ellis Johnson when we got Wommack), or whether he had people pushed on to him (I kind of sense this is how we got Roof).

I'm pretty sure Woody is the guy he wanted this time. I'll say if this time blows up, it's on CPJ. I'll say, I think we got the hire right this time. I'll admit, I thought the Groh hire was a homerun, but I also knew a lot less about defense back then.

We've had the talent to be successful in D, now we've got to execute. I'll say, the confidence coming from the defensive players after spring practice was positive. I think we're going to surprise some people this year.