2018 ACC Football Kickoff

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not that embarrassing considering the competition that Gailey had to deal with in the ACC is not the same competition that Johnson has to deal with. Again, Gailey also did not beat Georgia.

Gailey faced 5 top 10 UGA teams (including two top 3) and one 23rd ranked team.

Johnson faced:
3 top 10 UGA teams went 1-3
2 10-20 UGA teams and went 1-1
5 unranked Uga teams and went 1-4

Going 1-4 against unranked UGA teams should be considered a high crime. A good coach would be at least .500 vs the mutts post 2007.

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck

2018 All-ACC Preseason Football Team
(Total votes in parenthesis)

Offense
WR – Jaylen Smith, Louisville (90)
WR – Kelvin Harmon, NC State (71)
WR – Hunter Renfrow, Clemson (62)
TE – Tommy Sweeney, Boston College (106)
AP – Greg Dortch, Wake Forest (64)
OT – Mitch Hyatt, Clemson (130)
OT – Chris Lindstrom, Boston College (72)
OG – Parker Braun, Georgia Tech (83)
OG – Phil Haynes, Wake Forest (65)
C – Justin Falcinelli, Clemson (56)
QB – Ryan Finley, NC State (102)
RB – AJ Dillon, Boston College (112)
RB – Cam Akers, Florida State (94)

Defense
DE – Clelin Ferrell, Clemson (122)
DE – Austin Bryant, Clemson (80)
DT – Christian Wilkins, Clemson (122)
DT – Dexter Lawrence, Clemson (119)
LB – Joe Giles-Harris, Duke (103)
LB – Shaquille Quarterman, Miami (98)
LB – Kendall Joseph, Clemson (84)
CB – Mark Gilbert, Duke (79)
CB – Michael Jackson, Miami (68)
S – Jaquan Johnson, Miami (103)
S – Lukas Denis, Boston College (64)

Special Teams
PK – Ricky Aguayo, Florida State (119)
P – Sterling Hofrichter, Syracuse (33)
SP – Anthony Ratliff-Williams, North Carolina (97)

ACC Player of the Year
1. AJ Dillon, RB, Boston College – 45
2. Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson – 42
3. Ryan Finley, QB, NC State – 37
4. Cam Akers, RB, Florida State – 13
5. Greg Dortch, WR, Wake Forest – 3
T6. Joe Giles-Harris, LB, Duke – 2
T6. TaQuon Marshall, QB, Georgia Tech – 2
T8. Zach Allen, DE, Boston College – 1
T8. Eric Dungey, QB, Syracuse – 1
T8. Jaylen Smith, WR, Louisville – 1
T8. Olamide Zaccheaus, HB, Virginia – 1

http://theacc.com/news/2018/7/24/2018-all-acc-preseason-football-team-announced.aspx

Imo he's dead wrong on the kicker for special teams imo Ricky is not that good I think somebody else will win that

THWG

Helluva Engineer

Johnson faced:

Going 1-4 against unranked UGA teams should be considered a high crime. A good coach would be at least .500 vs the mutts post 2007.
When have we had more talent than them though? The only times that we should have beaten ugag under CPJ and didn't were 2009 and 2013. But still, he has beaten them which is something that Gailey never did.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Johnson faced:

Serious question, did you ignore or just miss my last post towards you after you asked me a question? To take my last comments further though, You are giving all these examples but yet not comparing apples to apples. You have an expectation that is so unrealistic it’s not even funny. Stop giving all these “stats” that fit your agenda and ignoring the bigger facts of accomplishments compared to other schools around. When you look at his accomplishments compared to other schools it’s pretty impressive. You are looking at GT as if they should be this powerhouse but you’re missing what almost every other team in the nation does. Give me some examples of actual on field stuff CPJ is bad at? And dont just say we aren’t good at this position, let me know what stuff could be coached to make it better, because for someone to say a coach should be fired with his accomplishments they should have a deep understanding of the game outside of stats.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
When have we had more talent than them though? The only times that we should have beaten ugag under CPJ and didn't were 2009 and 2013. But still, he has beaten them which is something that Gailey never did.

O’Leary never had more talent than them and took three in a row.

Zero excuse for losing 2010 as well. CPJ should’ve started 3-0 vs the Mutts. Lord knows what kind of impact that would’ve made on recruiting. Instead he takes one of the most talented (if not the most talented) Tech teams in the past 50 years and loses to an unranked UGA team and then follows it up with another loss against an unranked uga team. Pitiful.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Serious question, did you ignore or just miss my last post towards you after you asked me a question? To take my last comments further though, You are giving all these examples but yet not comparing apples to apples. You have an expectation that is so unrealistic it’s not even funny. Stop giving all these “stats” that fit your agenda and ignoring the bigger facts of accomplishments compared to other schools around. When you look at his accomplishments compared to other schools it’s pretty impressive. You are looking at GT as if they should be this powerhouse but you’re missing what almost every other team in the nation does. Give me some examples of actual on field stuff CPJ is bad at? And dont just say we aren’t good at this position, let me know what stuff could be coached to make it better, because for someone to say a coach should be fired with his accomplishments they should have a deep understanding of the game outside of stats.

I expect us to beat unranked Georgia teams. No other modern Tech coach has had the privilege to face them when they were down like CPJ has and he screwed the pooch.

I don’t think we should be a powerhouse, but we are in a worse place now than when he took over. That’s unacceptable.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
O’Leary never had more talent than them and took three in a row.

Zero excuse for losing 2010 as well. CPJ should’ve started 3-0 vs the Mutts. Lord knows what kind of impact that would’ve made on recruiting. Instead he takes one of the most talented (if not the most talented) Tech teams in the past 50 years and loses to an unranked UGA team and then follows it up with another loss against an unranked uga team. Pitiful.
I disagree with you about 2010 because of Nesbitt, if Nesbitt was healthy then I would think otherwise. I just don't believe that we are in worse shape as a program than when CPJ took over. The landscape of college football has changed and Tech fell behind (but was still very competitive and still is), but things are starting to change now with TStan and it will only help CPJ and the program which is a luxury that he hasn't had for his 10 years.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I expect us to beat unranked Georgia teams. No other modern Tech coach has had the privilege to face them when they were down like CPJ has and he screwed the pooch.

I don’t think we should be a powerhouse, but we are in a worse place now than when he took over. That’s unacceptable.
We’re playing in an entirely different type of game now. Football for GT is way harder than it use to be. You are comparing two totally different things.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
We’re playing in an entirely different type of game now. Football for GT is way harder than it use to be. You are comparing two totally different things.
That attitude is bound to set a glass ceiling. Tech athletics has fallen victim to a self fulfilling prophesy that is all to negative. Hard to understand.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
That attitude is bound to set a glass ceiling. Tech athletics has fallen victim to a self fulfilling prophesy that is all to negative. Hard to understand.
It’s just a fact. Nothing much the fans can do about that really. Luckily we have T Stan who is doing a good job changing things around. I was also posting that because the teams we play are way better now compared to then.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s just a fact. Nothing much the fans can do about that really. Luckily we have T Stan who is doing a good job changing things around. I was also posting that because the teams we play are way better now compared to then.

Georgia has been worse. Clemson better. VT worse. Duke better. The rest of our ACC foes have pretty much the same on the whole.

CPJ has had the luxury of playing TWELVE FCS opponent in ten years plus at least one (if not two garbage FBS opponents a year).

It is not harder. We are just worse.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
It's alright man. Once we break through that glass ceiling these people still won't admit they're wrong

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

It can be a fact but to what extent does it affect our program?. I acknowledge it has an effect but should we really be recruiting in the bottom quarter of the ACC with the talent around us? Duke is consistently out recruiting us. That is unacceptable regardless of the current paradigm. So yes, what you state is fact. But it’s also a fact that Paul Johnson hamstrings us both with his offense and personality in regards to recruiting. And for the record I’m not totally against Johnson. But to not acknowledge his flaws as a coach does our program no good.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It can be a fact but to what extent does it affect our program?. I acknowledge it has an effect but should we really be recruiting in the bottom quarter of the ACC with the talent around us? Duke is consistently out recruiting us. That is unacceptable regardless of the current paradigm. So yes, what you state is fact. But it’s also a fact that Paul Johnson hamstrings us both with his offense and personality in regards to recruiting. And for the record I’m not totally against Johnson. But to not acknowledge his flaws as a coach does our program no good.
A few things that has held us back compared to other schools in recruiting.

Russell
Calculus being mandatory
Old locker room from early 2000’s
Bottom half of all power 5 in funding
3 support staff members compared to some schools having in the 30’s
Offering about half the degree options.

We can say we can’t recruit well because of CPJ but there’s no fact to that. Everything I just listed however is a fact that imo would majorly outweigh CPJ not being able to recruit. And for what it’s worth the players love CPJ as do recruits as it’s been said by the players. Let’s see what happens with all the new stuff going on at GT.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Georgia has been worse. Clemson better. VT worse. Duke better. The rest of our ACC foes have pretty much the same on the whole.

CPJ has had the luxury of playing TWELVE FCS opponent in ten years plus at least one (if not two garbage FBS opponents a year).

It is not harder. We are just worse.
Georgia worse? Disagree majorly. Clemson WAY better Duke WAY better UNC WAY better VT has not been worse either. Regardless of all that, have you read my comment about being a TV manager? I’d like to see your input on that analogy?

Also why are we worse? Look at my post eighth above this and you’ll see many reasons, add that into my analogy and you will see.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It's alright man. Once we break through that glass ceiling these people still won't admit they're wrong
Once we brake through the “glass” we will be a lot better. I have a question for you and @knoxjacket what do you think the W-L record will be this year? And if we win 9 plus games what will you then say about CPJ? Serious question.