2017 Spring Practice

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Good to see all the QBs showing out :)

Loved this one redshirt freshman Lucas Johnson completing long passes to sophomore Jalen Camp and Ricky Jeune and also scoring a short touchdown on a QB keeper

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
From the information listed from Matt, Lucas Johnson is making a number of plays in the passing game. Read the thread here;

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/geot-spring-central-2017.html

"Offensively, senior wideout Ricky Jeune hauled in a 55-yard touchdown pass from redshirt freshman Lucas Johnson. Johnson, who is part of a four-way competition to replace three-year starter Justin Thomas at quarterback, also threw a long touchdown pass down the right hashmark to junior Qua Searcy during Wednesday's 7-on-7 work."

These aren't TDs to backups. That's RJ and Qua. Boys, I think we have some QB depth!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I've said all along I'm more than good with MJ, he has a bigger upside that most on here are willing to give him. PJ has him installed as the starter and there in NO ONE who I trust more to know what he has in a QB for this offense. But for those pooh pooing what the backups are doing I don't get it. Both Johnson and Jones are RS Freshmen that are stepping up their game, to me that is nothing but GOOD news!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I've said all along I'm more than good with MJ, he has a bigger upside that most on here are willing to give him. PJ has him installed as the starter and there in NO ONE who I trust more to know what he has in a QB for this offense. But for those pooh pooing what the backups are doing I don't get it. Both Johnson and Jones are RS Freshmen that are stepping up their game, to me that is nothing but GOOD news!
I agree, but I think nobody is really pooh-poohing the newbies, they're just trying not to read too much into it like some are.

For example, you could take half the starting fraternity flag football quarterbacks and make'em look like studs in seven on seven drills.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I don't care if he can throw the ball 1000 yards, if he can't make the reads, I don't want him on the field. JMO, but I'm sticking to it.
Just doing some musing here: I agree 90% with you. If a guy is a talented passer and can run the normal offense at 70% efficiency vs another guy who is merely serviceable as a passer but can run the offense at 90% efficiency. I want my starter to be the 90% guy. BUUUTTT... just me talking, I would seriously think about having that passer as a legit 2-minute guy. Think of the games we've won because of JT impersonating Joe Montana at the end of a game. Duke, GSU, UGA (twice), BC just off the top of my head. Without that element of sheer talent, sheer I'm such a bad-### I can just come out against the odds and beat you at the end of a game, we're looking at at least 5 more losses over the last 3 years. That's something Tevin couldn't do, and I love Tevin. Tevin was the 90% guy, very efficient running the offense, our offense thrived under him, and we won more than we lost - we should've won more with him except for some especially awful defense and lack of a couple more playmakers. But, a big difference between Tevin's record and JT's record, and the reason why we view them so differently as far as the level of QB they were - JT could also run the offense at 90% by the time he reached his prime but he also had that sheer talent as a runner and especially as a thrower to beat you at crunch time.

If I had a guy who wasn't inept at running the normal offense and had that talent as a passer, he's my 2-minute guy. Now, it could be that Jordan is the 90% guy who is also much more than serviceable as a passer, and if so, great, we've got it made ... just got to wait and see. Again, just musing a little bit.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
???
You have blamed our kids for lack of ability nonstop over the last couple of years. Anytime someone has suggested a problem with D coaching, scheme and player development, you blame the players instead.
I won't tell a kid that he can't do anything. Whether he does it or not is up to him and our defensive personnel has been lacking. I'm feeling better about personnel this year but they still have to come through.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just doing some musing here: I agree 90% with you. If a guy is a talented passer and can run the normal offense at 70% efficiency vs another guy who is merely serviceable as a passer but can run the offense at 90% efficiency. I want my starter to be the 90% guy. BUUUTTT... just me talking, I would seriously think about having that passer as a legit 2-minute guy. Think of the games we've won because of JT impersonating Joe Montana at the end of a game. Duke, GSU, UGA (twice), BC just off the top of my head. Without that element of sheer talent, sheer I'm such a bad-### I can just come out against the odds and beat you at the end of a game, we're looking at at least 5 more losses over the last 3 years. That's something Tevin couldn't do, and I love Tevin. Tevin was the 90% guy, very efficient running the offense, our offense thrived under him, and we won more than we lost - we should've won more with him except for some especially awful defense and lack of a couple more playmakers. But, a big difference between Tevin's record and JT's record, and the reason why we view them so differently as far as the level of QB they were - JT could also run the offense at 90% by the time he reached his prime but he also had that sheer talent as a runner and especially as a thrower to beat you at crunch time.

If I had a guy who wasn't inept at running the normal offense and had that talent as a passer, he's my 2-minute guy. Now, it could be that Jordan is the 90% guy who is also much more than serviceable as a passer, and if so, great, we've got it made ... just got to wait and see. Again, just musing a little bit.
That scenario would be an interesting call in question.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer

That's a totally valid point, in a 2 minute situation I would want a guy that could throw the rock. But realistically, if this offense is run well enough, we shouldn't be in those late game situations. Our goal should be 7 min drives for 6.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't care if he can throw the ball 1000 yards, if he can't make the reads, I don't want him on the field. JMO, but I'm sticking to it.

I think QBs post Vad are recruited to CPJ's offense. If you can't run our base offense, you're not going to get playing time. In Lucas's defense, when he committed, he specifically said that, and that he looked forward to running the offense as CPJ intended.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I think QBs post Vad are recruited to CPJ's offense. If you can't run our base offense, you're not going to get playing time. In Lucas's defense, when he committed, he specifically said that, and that he looked forward to running the offense as CPJ intended.

And it seems that most have forgotten he ran the O under center for 3 years before his coach went to a spread his Sr year

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I appreciate you, but I disagree with your comparison of JT and Tevin.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
That's a totally valid point, in a 2 minute situation I would want a guy that could throw the rock. But realistically, if this offense is run well enough, we shouldn't be in those late game situations. Our goal should be 7 min drives for 6.
I agree if our offense is running well we should have to worry about those late game situations, but then again the D will need to step up for that to happen.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What part? I think JT is a guy that just has that "it" factor. That's rare in a QB imo.

All of it. I think JT had a quicker release and greater quickness and speed, but I think TW was stronger and more reliable in making right reads. Neither was perfect.

When it comes to a get it done it factor, it's like folk forget 2015. I think we throw around too much blame and/or credit to the QB. Imo, our strong psychology in 2014 probably rested more with Laskey and Days than JT.