2017 Spring Practice

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Yea, no, I'm totally with you. Brad Stewart, specifically, is an outstanding athlete and great rep for our team. No argument from me. But like most people in the world, its all binary. I can't simultaneously say that he's not the greatest athlete on the team and couldn't play on our basketball team but is a very good football player and an important asset to our team. Obviously the first statement means I hate him, or something like that....
Why are you such a jerk? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Lots speculation being taken a little too far (the nature of the off-season). Camp and Dolphus do look the part ... but, so did Christian Philpott and Harland Howell ... and so did Bay Bay and Smelter. It's just too little to form a defensible position. If one of them is at the level of the latter comparison, they'll show it soon enough and could end up overtaking an incumbent starter by season's end.
It's also overstating the case to say that Stewart and Jeune aren't difference makers. Both beat out good competition to start, and both have made clutch plays for us against good competition. I had my doubts about them two season ago, but they've shown some things ... enough for me to say they're not going to be limiting factors for our offense. They both can beat one-on-one coverage, even against good competition. They haven't shown themselves to be Bay Bay, or Smelter yet, but they've shown to be the equal (maybe better) of Hill and Waller, which is saying something.
It's pretty simple, some are just enamored with measureables. Unfortunately, we've had too many guys look the part, but not live up to it. Give me the guy who has proven himself in games and beats all comers in practice. Sheesh, it's not a video game.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not going to tell any kid he can't do anything. That's for the "never wases" on message boards.!

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
All I know is that last year when Thomas went back to pass, I felt confident in the outcome. Jeune, Stewart, Lynch, and Searcy could all get open and catch the ball if it was near them. I felt confident when the other team punted and Stewart was their to catch the ball. Stewart and Jeune could be counted on to generally make and hold their blocks. I also saw solid improvement in Stewart and Jeune from the year before. Probably the last thing I want this year is a new starter at qb and two new starters at wr.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm not going to tell any kid he can't do anything. That's for the "never wases" on message boards.!

???
You have blamed our kids for lack of ability nonstop over the last couple of years. Anytime someone has suggested a problem with D coaching, scheme and player development, you blame the players instead.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Regarding the above WR banter:

1. Blocking. Jeune has evolved into a talented edge blocker. Got offensive player of the game at least once last year for it. Saw him dominate some dudes last year. Stewart I didn't notice as much in the run game but clearly he is effective enough to start. Camp blocked well enough to be the #3 WR last year. I imagine all three will be better blockers next season. Dolphus and Jair blocking is unknown. Gotta block to play, just like the NFL.

2. Development. Folks talk about Jeune and Stewart as if they are finished products. They have gotten bigger, stronger, more experienced, & more reliable since they got here. Last year they were an effective tandem, and it was only during the bowl game dropsies that I realized how sure handed they had been all year.

Camp (strength/physiciality), Hawkins-Anderson (burner), and Dolphus (height) all have one physical feature that jumps out. So it will be interesting to see how they develop.

3. By committee is a good thing. Last year began to feel like 2014 in terms of having lots of legit targets on the field at once. In '14 it was Smelter, Waller, Deon Hill, and the other swarm of ABs were pretty good too. This year we return proven receivers in Lynch, Jeune, Searcy, Stewart, & Greene, and any guys who emerge.

Run game should be solid next year, so if we can protect and if our QB can be accurate enough/go through progressions to find the open guy our passing game could be pretty damn good next year!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty simple, some are just enamored with measureables. Unfortunately, we've had too many guys look the part, but not live up to it. Give me the guy who has proven himself in games and beats all comers in practice. Sheesh, it's not a video game.

Brings to mind a player Florida had some years ago: Ahmad Black, a defensive back. He was widely derided as just a placeholder until much more talented defensive backs asserted themselves. He was said to be in various ways: "Not big enough" Not fast enough" "Only a three star" "Last player taken in his recruiting class" "Played at a small school, not used to big time competition in high school" "Didn't have the measureables we look for in an elite Florida Gator DB" Blah Blah Blah. 'Dude did not do anything but make plays. Need a big hit on a tight end catching a post pattern pass? He delivered. Need a sure tackle in the open field? He delivered Need a pass breakup on a perfectly thrown pass to a wide out? He delivered. Nothing fancy, no eye candy, just a good football player. The closest Tech DB that fits that mold would be Jemeah (sp?) Thomas from a few years ago. Textbook tackling form and seemingly always in position. I, for one, can live with that.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
The closest Tech DB that fits that mold would be Jemeah (sp?) Thomas from a few years ago. Textbook tackling form and seemingly always in position. I, for one, can live with that.

And to really drive the comparison home, I believe it took direct PJ involvement for Jemea Thomas to see the field, since a certain defensive coach was enamored with the measurables.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Which "certain defensive coach?"

Groh. I'll never find a quote at this point as it has been a few years, but Groh was the defensive coach and it was Paul Johnson who insisted that Jemea needed to play.

Another example is PJ Davis, whom Groh didn't want to recruit. After he was let go Paul extended him an offer.

Jacket prime

Georgia Tech Fan
... it was only during the bowl game dropsies that I realized how sure handed they had been all year.

Man, even Clinton Lynch was dropping balls in the bowl game. It must have been something the water...

I'll definitely echo this sentiment about Ricky and Brad: Given how seldom we throw the ball, its essential we catch it when we do. So far, those two guys have done that pretty reliably.

That said, I'd love to add a little speed on the outside to help stretch the defense, and I'm excited to see what the young guys can do in the Spring Game.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
And to really drive the comparison home, I believe it took direct PJ involvement for Jemea Thomas to see the field, since a certain defensive coach was enamored with the measurables.
I did not know that. Really? Even so, now that I think about it somehow that seems about what you would expect from that "certain defensive coach".

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
That's it! Cajun (y) I couldn't place that special quality in his voice. I think you nailed it!
Go Jackets!
THWG!!!
Yeah, my in laws from the east side of the Alabama River always told me those people on the west side talked funny with that Cajun type pronunciation. Many of them are descended, so I am told, from William Weatherford a famous Creek Indian. I don't really care how he talks as long as he has the respect of his teammates and can move our team. That sounds like success in any accent.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
From ramblinwreck
Format: 21 periods in full pads

Weather: Low 70s, mostly cloudy

Today's Buzz: Georgia Tech was back in full pads for the second time this spring on Monday. Much of the two-hour practice was conducted inside the John and Mary Brock Football Practice Facility due to a line of heavy storms that rolled through Midtown earlier in the day and left Rose Bowl field soggy.

Highlights: During 11-on-11 drills at the end of the 21-period practice, junior quarterback Matthew Jordan hooked up with junior A-back Qua Searcy for a pair of long passes -- one down the right sideline in tight coverage and another down the left sideline. Defensively, senior end Antonio Simmons came off the left edge for a pair of sacks, the first culminating with perhaps the biggest hit of the spring to date.

Quote of the Day: "Having quicker hands because the quicker my hands are on an offensive lineman, they can't really get their hands on me. If I beat them to the punch, they're already beat."
- Junior defensive tackle Kyle Cerge-Henderson on what he is working on this spring