2017 Spring Practice

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
@Madison Grant
That critique of Lewis pretty much meshes with CPJs criticism of his play. I think Lewis may have been our most athletic LB, with the best wheels, the last 2 years. But as you point out, that athleticism doesn't do much if he doesn't play assignments.

He has more experience now and he's one of the guys I'm watching out for to see signs of a breakthrough.
We have a lot of bodies at lb and a stud true frosh coming in. Someone is bound rise to the occasion, God willin'.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I rewatched some games, and the one game Lewis played extensively we gave up a bunch of big runs. He crashed into the line a lot and got taken out of plays because he didn't play his responsibility, and that's when we gave up big runs. What good does it do to make a flashy play in the backfield because you guessed right, and then turn around and give up a 50 yard run the next play? Don't be so hung up on athleticism. Guys who have speed liabilities but play their responsibility may be frustrating to watch, but 5-10 yards is better than giving up long TDs because you're out of position. As for Simmons, we're actually pretty strong at corner. Who would you bench in his place, and please don't say the guy who got the int that won us the UGAg game. After watching him in the Army A-A game, I've got high hopes that Jordan-Swilling will come in and make an immediate impact.
That's a good point, but there was one game that I know he did really well in, maybe someone else can shed some light on which game? Also I don't think that analogy is much different than what the rest of the LB's do on this team, that or they are late to diagnose the play and so the OL gets on them and washes them out of the play. I think our LB's need to step up as a whole.

We really get it. Any chance you'd be interested in hashing out the "Roof coaching ability" discussion in its own thread instead of clogging up the spring practice thread with this same old argument?
All I have done is express my thoughts in response to other posts. No need for a separate thread. Besides, I actually like Roof, and I want like hell for him to succeed. He's a great representative for Tech, and he is apparently a pretty good recruiter. But he just seems prone to doing the same thing every season, until Johnson tells him to get more aggressive. The fact that he always seems to respond to such directives with results that show up on the field tells me he CAN get it done. My question is why does it always seem to take so long to do so.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Why? You think we have the worst defense in P5? That's ridiculous. We're middle of the road and our recruiting is about there as well, although we're undersized.
Statistically we are bottom of the pack on D, defensive efficiency is a good stat to look at for that, we are ranked in the 90's. All the proof points to us being bottom of the pack.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Why? You think we have the worst defense in P5? That's ridiculous. We're middle of the road and our recruiting is about there as well, although we're undersized.

The discussion arose in response to ESPN saying we were the worst P5 team in a pass defense stat they track.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In the most important stat, scoring D, we are at #39 which is near the end of the top 3rd at 24.5 ppg. Now I know this is a little skewed due to limited possessions by opposing offenses, but it's still not too shabby.

Where we really stink is allowing 3rd down conversion where we rank 126 out of 128. Also,efficiency (FEI) is pretty bat where we're ranked at #94, which is near the front of the bottom 3rd.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
In the most important stat, scoring D, we are at #39 which is near the end of the top 3rd at 24.5 ppg. Now I know this is a little skewed due to limited possessions by opposing offenses, but it's still not too shabby.

Where we really stink is allowing 3rd down conversion where we rank 126 out of 128. Also,efficiency (FEI) is pretty bat where we're ranked at #94, which is near the front of the bottom 3rd.
I like the FEI stat better, because like you said with scoring D the numbers are skewed. FEI gives you a good idea just how good a D is and it levels the playing field on defensive stats.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
So, any SPRING PRACTICE news to report?

Do we really have to get into FEI and PPD and PPG and PPP AGAIN in another thread????

No offense but everybody is checking this thread five times a day to hear about QB competition, OL health, early enrollee reports, etc. Not a debate on defensive rankings...

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
So, any SPRING PRACTICE news to report?

From various readings:
QB -Battle, starter not settled, M Jordan being pushed by TQ Marshall, L Johnson, J Jones, B Swilling
BB - Mills running hard, holding on to no 1 spot, Q Weimerskirch and KV Benson fighting for 2nd spot.
AB - looking real good 6 deep , Searcy, Lynch, Green, Cottrell, Jarrett, Gantt
OL - Battle at Tackle - J Lee and Marshall, Morgan Bros looking real good.
WR - Jeune holding down no 1 WR option, Camp, Messick, Steward, Anderson fight for 2nd spot

Defense has looked real good. Standouts
DL - Saint-Amour, Simmons, Freeman, Branch, Glanton
LB - Vic Alexander, T Lewis, Mitchell, T Jackson
DB - L Simmons and Kagawa have starred in scrimmages along with the Austins.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
From various readings:
QB -Battle, starter not settled, M Jordan being pushed by TQ Marshall, L Johnson, J Jones, B Swilling
BB - Mills running hard, holding on to no 1 spot, Q Weimerskirch and KV Benson fighting for 2nd spot.
WR - Jeune holding down no 1 WR option, Camp, Messick, Steward, Anderson fight for 2nd spot

What makes you think Messick and Camp are ahead of Stewart?

Edit: I thought this was your depth chart... my mistake. Nothing to see here.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
From various readings:

I'm not so sure the def has looked that good esp the DL or maybe just DTs since last Sat the bbacks ripped them for 14 YARDS PER CARRY-that's not good in any view

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/i...erback-matthew-jordan/sEuvtBio3KZ3t742fve4jN/

Georgia Tech quarterback Matthew Jordan will miss the remainder of spring practice with a foot injury suffered in the team’s Saturday morning scrimmage at Bobby Dodd Stadium. It was described as a non-contact injury.

A team spokesman did not know how far past the end of spring practice Jordan was expected to be out. Jordan went into spring drills as the No. 1 quarterback, and coach Paul Johnson said it was his hope that Jordan would win the job by the end of spring practice , which will conclude April 21 with the spring game.