2017 NIT Championship Game

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, this game could not have gone much worse for the Jackets.

A sloooow start on both offense and defense put us in an early hole. Then Lammers gets his 2nd foul at the 12 minute mark of the 1st half. Our guys seemed slow-footed and lacked the energy we have been accustomed to seeing from them. Give TCU credit--they came out with a ton of energy and passed very well when we were in zone D. I was screaming for us to drop the zone and go m-2-m, and when we did, we started getting stops and catching up....but that tires out our 6-man rotation. Early in the 2nd half we looked ready to comeback at a few points, but the whistles kept going against us and nothing was going in the bucket. Lammers had a horrible night shooting (he still gives his all, though!). Then Okogie went out and we all knew that a comeback was not in the cards (thankfully, he came back in and seemed fine). Finally, it all caved in on us and like an avalanche, it went downhill fast. In fact, I thought our guys really got frustrated and gave up towards the end. A sad finish to a great team. They have given us plenty to talk about and cheer for, but they ran out of gas in this one, and got stomped by a very hungry TCU team. I have good confidence that they will return to the court next year and give us plenty more to cheer for. Regardless of the outcome, I am proud of our team. Go Jackets!

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't like our chances going into this game, but I sure didn't foresee a beat down like this. We have four more scholarships to give for next season so that will make for an interesting spring for GT basketball. The pace of the rebuild will depend a lot on how the next couple of months go. We abruptly transition from the end of a magical season to what might be the most condensed and critical recruiting period I've ever witnessed as a BasketJacket die hard.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i thought that the first foul of the game on lammers against brad...ski was key.

and brad...ski + no 34 was >>>>>>>> much better than lammers and q.

q was not only neutralized but his counterpart crushed it.

still proud of the team. still happy with the season. keep the heads up guys. you did well.

go jackets

Deleted member 2897

The starters were 8 of 35 from the field. That is an amazing statistic, and all you need to know about the game.

Yup, that's exactly what I came here to post. 8 field goals from our starting 5...and we are a team that doesn't have a bench.

And, TCU shot about 50% better from the field than our average opponent (52% vs 35%). While we gave up too many easy second chance points, we certainly forced them into a lot of prayers that kept going in. And our usual problem of missing 10-15 shots from inside of 2 feet was there again.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This game reminded me a little of TN game.
The biggest thing this game reminded me was how much this team overcame its limitations during the year to have a much better season than anyone had the right to expect. This game showed what this season was supposed to look like almost nightly when all our weaknesses were exposed.

The staff and players did a great job this year of playing to their strengths and hiding their weaknesses - but on this night that didn't happen. Disappointed they lost, not disappointed in the players or the coaches for the season they gave us.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Before the season, if you told me this team would make the NIT finals and win 20+ games this season, I would have laughed at you and then asked you who your dealer was.

Disappointed in the ending, but we've been playing with "house money" since we beat UNC in our first ACC game. Proud of the seniors for buying in and setting a good example for he younger guys. Hate that we couldn't send them out as NIT Champions, but they have a LOT to be proud of. They were part of back to back 20 win seasons, and they set a nice foundation for Pastner to sell to recruits down the line.

I'm not going to dwell on the loss. It's done and there's not much we can do about it. Wish we would have won, but like I said, this season exceeded expectations for pretty much anyone who was a GT fan.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
This year was so fun to watch, especially considering what was expected. For the first time in my LONG experience as a Tech fan, I am disappointed at the loss (especially the severity of it) but can't bring myself to feel overly bummed. I leave the season feeling proud of our guys and anxious to see what the future has to bring. I haven't felt this way since the start of the Cremins era.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
The AJC had an article about the similarities of both teams ... I think this will be a very competitive game start to finish, both programs want it BAD !!
I'm looking for a very entertaining game that whoever makes the plays in the final minutes wins ... GT by 4 !!

or not ... glad I'm not a gambling man, I'd be homeless.
Great season Jackets !!!, I'm totally looking forward to next year.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Well, this game could not have gone much worse for the Jackets.

A sloooow start on both offense and defense put us in an early hole. Then Lammers gets his 2nd foul at the 12 minute mark of the 1st half. Our guys seemed slow-footed and lacked the energy we have been accustomed to seeing from them. Give TCU credit--they came out with a ton of energy and passed very well when we were in zone D. ----
IMHO TCU played our type of game and was a step or two faster than us. Their rebound positioning on the offensive boards amazed me. TCU played a great game and certainly their great play resulted in advantage in every stat. The way the ball was falling for them it gave them more energy which IMO made us look slower. I don't think we gave up. We got out played and TCU energy increased with their every point, rebound, TO

This was one of those games that occurs in every sport, one team can do wrong, everything works, and the other team, nothing seems to bounce their way. Our Jackets had an amazing year and brought competitive MBB back to the Flats. We can look forward with anxious participation to next year. Go Jackets!

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Now the most important season begins:

Recruiting season--- although it never really ends.

Hoping for at least 1 top 100 player for 2017 and at least 1 top 25 player for 2018.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Frustrating part is we didn’t lose due to lack of talent last night. We just didn’t show up. Defense was really bad. Even when we did get a stop, we gave up an offensive board. FT shooting was terrible. I’m not sure what the gameplan was offensively but it didn’t look like we had much of one. Lammers was getting schooled all night and threw up a bunch of really lazy shots. Q was brick city again. Offensively we couldn’t do anything outside of Tadric making a play but our main problem was a slow, lazy defense and poor rebounding. The 2 things that have won us games all year and shouldn’t have anything to do with not enough talent.

A frustrating loss and only amplified by us essentially quitting halfway through the 2nd half. We didn’t score a single point from the 12:10 mark to 2:06 when McCormick hit a 3. That’s extremely frustrating to see our guys lay down like that. I loved watching this team this year but it would’ve been nice to see us play our final game without quitting like that.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Frustrating part is we didn’t lose due to lack of talent last night. We just didn’t show up. Defense was really bad. Even when we did get a stop, we gave up an offensive board. FT shooting was terrible. I’m not sure what the gameplan was offensively but it didn’t look like we had much of one. Lammers was getting schooled all night and threw up a bunch of really lazy shots. Q was brick city again. Offensively we couldn’t do anything outside of Tadric making a play but our main problem was a slow, lazy defense and poor rebounding. The 2 things that have won us games all year and shouldn’t have anything to do with not enough talent.

A frustrating loss and only amplified by us essentially quitting halfway through the 2nd half. We didn’t score a single point from the 12:10 mark to 2:06 when McCormick hit a 3. That’s extremely frustrating to see our guys lay down like that. I loved watching this team this year but it would’ve been nice to see us play our final game without quitting like that.

sooooo... considering where we were and where we ended up you saw us as being a slow and lazy team THAT QUIT HALF WAY THROUGH the last game of the season. surely they did this on purpose to piss you off. AND IT WORKED!

duh.

i must have watched a different game than you did. shame on me. i didnt see any of that at all. i saw a team with a tiny room for error and a small bench get beat by a team that went 9-10 deep. its not like we havent had problems all year long with games on two days rest.

may be time for you to go root for the dwags!!!!!!!