2017 Bowl Projections

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
There is a waiver system because there are so many bowls they cant even fill them all with 6 win teams
I think we're conflating 2 different things. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

1) If there are not enough 6-win teams to fill the bowl schedule, the NCAA looks at the 5-win teams...and bowl bids are given in order based on APR. Last year, I think Miss St and North Texas both went bowling with 5-7 records. Technically...not a waiver... just the way it works.

2) The waiver would ONLY come into play for 5-win teams that did not complete a full 12-game schedule. Should teams with cancelled games end up with less than 6 wins; BUT mathematically could have reached 6 wins having played their full schedule... those teams can file for a waiver to be "bowl eligible". Ga Tech would be in this category at 5-6.

What I don't know. Assuming this comes into play this season and waivers are granted....does that mean those teams are literally treated as if they 'won' their cancelled game(s); therefore, like a 6-win bowl eligible teams OR are they in the "pool" of 5-7 teams? I assume the former... they "jump" into the bowl eligible pool and the 5-7 teams must still wait to see if the bowls fill.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
All this hand wringing over Tech maybe having to ask for a waiver to get bowl eligible is just crazy talk imo. Shows how little belief some of you "fans" have in the coaches and the players, sheesh. If I'm wrong, I'll humbly take my medicine but c'mon folks.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
All this hand wringing over Tech maybe having to ask for a waiver to get bowl eligible is just crazy talk imo. Shows how little belief some of you "fans" have in the coaches and the players, sheesh. If I'm wrong, I'll humbly take my medicine but c'mon folks.
Whoa.. to be very clear, I do not believe we'll be asking for a waiver either. I do like noodling through the scenarios, though.

Jmonty71

Banned
We will likely have one fewer wins than expected. When calculating what bowl we'll go to, that 1 win may be significant.
Goes back to the possibility of winning 5 games and not, technically, being bowl eligible. I really hope the UCF cancellation, does not hurt us. But, per these projections it did.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think we're conflating 2 different things. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

1) If there are not enough 6-win teams to fill the bowl schedule, the NCAA looks at the 5-win teams...and bowl bids are given in order based on APR. Last year, I think Miss St and North Texas both went bowling with 5-7 records. Technically...not a waiver... just the way it works.

2) The waiver would ONLY come into play for 5-win teams that did not complete a full 12-game schedule. Should teams with cancelled games end up with less than 6 wins; BUT mathematically could have reached 6 wins having played their full schedule... those teams can file for a waiver to be "bowl eligible". Ga Tech would be in this category at 5-6.

What I don't know. Assuming this comes into play this season and waivers are granted....does that mean those teams are literally treated as if they 'won' their cancelled game(s); therefore, like a 6-win bowl eligible teams OR are they in the "pool" of 5-7 teams? I assume the former... they "jump" into the bowl eligible pool and the 5-7 teams must still wait to see if the bowls fill.

Getting into the pool of 5-7 teams as a result of an appeal would not make any sense. At 5-6, you are already in the pool of 5 win teams. The actual rule isn't 6 wins, it is at least 50% record. GT had to file for an appeal when the went to the ACCCG at 6-6. The team was less than 50% after the game at 6-7. So at 5-6 a team would already not be bowl eligible, but would be in the 5 win pool for left over bowl games.

However, I don't believe that GT will be 5-6 at the end of the season. So there won't be any reason to worry about this. BTW GT is 16th on the APR list of FBS teams.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Only one team in our division has played a conference game and they're making Bowl predictions, lol.

I'll say this...we tend to get passed over by the best bowls we are eligible for when they have a choice. Probably doesn't bode well for us unless we win the division with the big three teams in the Atlantic this year (ok, maybe Louisville was a stretch after last weekend, but still)