2017 Bowl Projections

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well... Ga Tech's bowl prospects are not good. Obviously, beating UGA takes care of it. That would be glorious..for reasons beyond bowl eligibility. So... if we're winning Saturday, no need to read further.

Should we end up 5-6... we are in a hurt. Currently, there are 70 bowl eligible teams out of 78 bowl slots available. 18 teams are sitting at 5 wins.

Here's the problem. 8 of those 18 play each other this weekend. Assuming (best case...and not likely) none of the other 10 teams wins, that leaves only 4 slots for 5-win teams.

The slightly good news.. most (not all) of those 10 teams will be underdogs.

Factor in...
1) FSU and a couple of Sunbelt teams sitting at 4-6 right now with 2 games remaining and still able to get to 6 wins.
2) Our APR is good; but still behind Minnesota and Duke who are at 5 wins.

Simply a VERY narrow path (virtually impossible) for Ga Tech to make a bowl with 5 wins.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/bowl-game-eligible-college-football-teams-2017

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think we're going to win Saturday and put an end to this nonsense. It's already been posted elsewhere, but this is kind of the mirror image of 2009 if you ask me...

We just lost to Duke, Georgia had just lost to Kentucky. They have one blowout loss, we had one blowout loss. We were going to play a huge conference champ game, they are going to play a huge conference champ game. We were a top-10 big favorite, they are a top-10 big favorite.

It's time to end the losing streak to these punks at Grant Field and go play in the Independence Bowl in Shreveport!!!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
upload_2017-11-20_8-18-8.jpeg

...and it ain't over now

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The only reason I even want a bowl this season is I'd like to see our seniors rewarded, and have a few extra weeks of practice for our young guys to get reps.

Other than that, we don't deserve a bowl. The calculus of even getting bowl eligible seems like wasted energy to me. At worst, we should be 8-2, instead we're teetering on the edge of below mediocre. No thanks to some bowl game in a nondescript town we couldn't even locate if it weren't for Google Maps.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea how this works but if we end up with 5 wins should've we get an exception over the other 5 win teams since we lost out of playing a game?

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
I have no idea how this works but if we end up with 5 wins should've we get an exception over the other 5 win teams since we lost out of playing a game?

No. After bowl slots have been filled by all the 6-win+ teams, for the remaining slots they're allowed to invite 5-win teams based on APR rankings. Whether teams have played 11 or 12 games is irrelevant.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Factor in...
1) FSU and a couple of Sunbelt teams sitting at 4-6 right now with 2 games remaining and still able to get to 6 wins.

[/URL]

3) ...And still behind Vanderbilt who is at 4 wins and plays Tennessee. AND still behind 4-7 Air Force who is slightly favored playing Utah State.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Well... Ga Tech's bowl prospects are not good. Obviously, beating UGA takes care of it. That would be glorious..for reasons beyond bowl eligibility. So... if we're winning Saturday, no need to read further.

Should we end up 5-6... we are in a hurt. Currently, there are 70 bowl eligible teams out of 78 bowl slots available. 18 teams are sitting at 5 wins.

Here's the problem. 8 of those 18 play each other this weekend. Assuming (best case...and not likely) none of the other 10 teams wins, that leaves only 4 slots for 5-win teams.

The slightly good news.. most (not all) of those 10 teams will be underdogs.

Factor in...

Simply a VERY narrow path (virtually impossible) for Ga Tech to make a bowl with 5 wins.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/bowl-game-eligible-college-football-teams-2017
After reading this I think you're right. It's close to impossible to get it at 5 wins. Saturday is our season and possible bowl game. This might be one of the biggest games for the program as far as direction wise in a long, long time. The staff and the kids need to take a look at themselves and decide how bad they want want it. After that **** show in Durham I expect this team to come out with everything it has Saturday.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Since we had a game cancelled we can technically apply for a waiver for bowl eligibility. If it is granted, it's possible a bowl would see 5-6 GT as a more attractive option than something like a 6-6 Rice team (I don't know what Rice's record is... just using them as an example). It's happened before where some 6-6 non P5 team has been left out in favor of some team that got eligible by a bowl waiver.

I know no one wants to go this route, and we can avoid it just by beating UGA this weekend, but bowl games are sources of extra practices and revenue, so from a program perspective you might as well try. Again let's just beat UGA shock the world and not have to worry about it.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Since we had a game cancelled we can technically apply for a waiver for bowl eligibility. If it is granted, it's possible a bowl would see 5-6 GT as a more attractive option than something like a 6-6 Rice team (I don't know what Rice's record is... just using them as an example). It's happened before where some 6-6 non P5 team has been left out in favor of some team that got eligible by a bowl waiver.

I know no one wants to go this route, and we can avoid it just by beating UGA this weekend, but bowl games are sources of extra practices and revenue, so from a program perspective you might as well try. Again let's just beat UGA shock the world and not have to worry about it.
Rice is 1-10;)

Why in the world won't Florida play us in a 12th game. They are at 4-6 right now and will probably beat Florida State. They would then be at 5-6. To me this game would have appeal and yes We would have a great chance at winning. And if we don't heck what a great game to end the season.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Why in the world won't Florida play us in a 12th game. They are at 4-6 right now and will probably beat Florida State. They would then be at 5-6. To me this game would have appeal and yes We would have a great chance at winning. And if we don't heck what a great game to end the season.
I would love to play UF , but without a head coach I think they are more worried about finding a new head coach and less than playing another game this year.