2017 Bowl Projections

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
There are a ton of 6 win teams. I'm not too sure a 5 win team will score a bowl.

I’ve been looking at this for awhile now. Over the past two years, six 5-win teams have received bowl invites on the strength of their Academic Progress Rating where GT ranks high. But this year not only are there a lot of 6 win teams filling the slots, but also several likely 5-win teams have higher APRs: Air Force, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, and Duke.

No way around it - the only path to a bowl game is beating Georgia.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been looking at this for awhile now. Over the past two years, six 5-win teams have received bowl invites on the strength of their Academic Progress Rating where GT ranks high. But this year not only are there a lot of 6 win teams filling the slots, but also several likely 5-win teams have higher APRs: Air Force, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, and Duke.

Tennessee is going to beat Vandy and knock them out of it. Vanderbilt is far worst than Tennessee allowing twice the points on defense that Tennessee has. It would be interesting if a 5-7 Tennessee team got a Bowl game.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Tennessee is going to beat Vandy and knock them out of it. Vanderbilt is far worst than Tennessee allowing twice the points on defense that Tennessee has. It would be interesting if a 5-7 Tennessee team got a Bowl game.

No that’s not possible. Tennessee’s APR isn’t even close. The Vols have already been mathematically eliminated. Anyway Vandy is just another brick in the firewall.

Bigger question, if we get to 6 wins but there are more than enough 6-win teams to fill the slots, would bowls pass over GT’s poor-traveling fanbase for the likes of Louisiana Lafayette, Western Michigan, or FIU?

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Bowl system is a joke. No reason for any sub 500 team to make a bowl. Gt doesnt deserve one if we are 5-6. Rewarding crap performance? Sounds like 5 year old soccer now. Everyone gets a trophy.

Unfortunately too many bowls and junk teams make it. I get it. But its just too much now.

Who knows if we get an invite. But if we do its silly.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
No that’s not possible. Tennessee’s APR isn’t even close. The Vols have already been mathematically eliminated. Anyway Vandy is just another brick in the firewall.

Bigger question, if we get to 6 wins but there are more than enough 6-win teams to fill the slots, would bowls pass over GT’s poor-traveling fanbase for the likes of Louisiana Lafayette, Western Michigan, is FIU?
The word going around is a 6-5 record would put GT in the Music City Bowl against 7-5 Missouri.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Bowl system is a joke. No reason for any sub 500 team to make a bowl. Gt doesnt deserve one if we are 5-6. Rewarding crap performance? Sounds like 5 year old soccer now. Everyone gets a trophy.

Unfortunately too many bowls and junk teams make it. I get it. But its just too much now.

Who knows if we get an invite. But if we do its silly.
There is a ton of money in all these Bowl games.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
There is a ton of money in all these Bowl games.

??? Ton of money for whom?

Outside of the established big, traditional games and CFP games, I believe most schools a lot more often than not lose money on these games.

And our poor attendance at bowls is going to start and catch up with us. The school can only eat so many tickets.

If we do not beat ugag, we do not deserve a bowl.

Also, the “extra practice” mantra. Extra practice from staff that lead you to 5 - 6 record? No thanks. I think the coaches get a bonus, so sure, they are probably all for it.

JMO.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
??? Ton of money for whom?

Outside of the established big, traditional games and CFP games, I believe most schools a lot more often than not lose money on these games.

And our poor attendance at bowls is going to start and catch up with us. The school can only eat so many tickets.

If we do not beat ugag, we do not deserve a bowl.

Also, the “extra practice” mantra. Extra practice from staff that lead you to 5 - 6 record? No thanks. I think the coaches get a bonus, so sure, they are probably all for it.

JMO.
for advertisers

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

^^^THIS...

Although, some posters (who I assume know stuff I'm simply unaware of) seem to think there is a "waiver" in play. Something we can apply for since we are only playing 11 games.

The implied nuance to this waiver is that we would be considered for since we did not play a scheduled game due to circumstances beyond our control. Again... implied is the waiver essentially would mean we are treated at 5-6 as if it's a 6-6 team, giving us credit for a win in the game we didn't play.

I say implied because I cannot find any evidence such a waiver exists... but multiple posters have alluded to it.

I continue to operate under the assumption there is no such waiver (I could be wrong)... that a 5-6 team is same as a 5-7 team & banking on APR ranking should there be too few 6 win (bowl eligible) teams.

The only bowl eligibility waiver I'm aware of does not apply to us in 2017. We actually were granted that waiver a few years ago when we ended up 6-7 after entering the ACCCG at 6-6 & lost. Pretty sure we needed the waiver because we were sub-500.

So I'm with @RedPete here.... the situation regarding playing past tomorrow is simple... WIN OR GO HOME!!

THWG!!!!!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Let’s just win the damn game tomorrow and shut this talk down for God’s sake.

Btw, South Florida beating UCF right now. Any chance our cancelled game is played 12/2 if this continues?

Jmonty71

Banned
I think you will see some AAC schools fill some bowl slots. A good many 6+ win teams. Not sure how many bowl ties the American Conference has. But, foresee an opening for non P5 schools with 6 wins or more. I think, if GT ends up with only 5 wins, we will not receive any invites. Due to the number of 6 win teams available.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Here's our football bowl-eligibility tracker update... 26 Nov 2017 Version

Bowl-eligible: 9 teams
Miami - New Year's Six Bowl
Clemson - New Year's Six Bowl
Notre Dame* - Camping World
Virginia Tech - Music City Bowl or Gator (Taxslayer)
NC State - Belk Bowl
Louisville - Sun Bowl
Wake Forest - Pinstripe Bowl
Virginia - Military
Boston College - Indy
Duke - Quick Lane

Needs one win:1 teams
FSU (5-6) - ULM

Eliminated:
4 teams
North Carolina (3-8)
Cue (4-7)
Pitt (4-7)
GT (5-6)

Projected number of ACC bowl teams: 10 plus ND

Jmonty71

Banned
Pretty tough pill to swallow. We should of won 2 to 3 games. Instead, we are looking at no bowl 2 of the last 3 years. Hope this is finding others as unacceptable. If you are perfectly accepting of 5 win seasons, you ARE the problem. This is what happens when you start accepting mediocrity and making excuses for bad coaching.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

NC State - Belk Bowl
Louisville - Sun Bowl
Virginia - Military
Boston College - Indy
Duke - Quick Lane

FSU (5-6) - ULM

Eliminated:
4 teams
North Carolina (3-8)
Cue (4-7)
Pitt (4-7)
GT (5-6)

ND Gator Bowl and Virginia Tech Camping World Bowl

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer

NC State - Belk Bowl
Louisville - Sun Bowl
Virginia - Military
Boston College - Indy
Duke - Quick Lane

FSU (5-6) - ULM

Eliminated:
4 teams
North Carolina (3-8)
Cue (4-7)
Pitt (4-7)
GT (5-6)

There's also already 79 bowl eligible teams for 78 spots. that combined with Paul's post game comments about being asked about the waiver = don't hold your breath if you're one of the people who actually want to see us get into one at 5-6