2017 Bowl Projections

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
LOL I pretty much watch all the Bowls:D:LOL:;)

Yes, my sister in law watches any and every one even recording those that are in conflict to watch them later. Personally, I watch Tech, UGA, Auburn (my wife's family are big Tiger fans and my nephews went there) Most, if not all the ACC games and some of the SEC games. The rest of them? I don't bother unless there are national title implications.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I may be "selfish, petty, etc." but if the players want to go to a bowl game they will have to show they belong in a bowl game. Last Saturday, there did not seem to be much interest on their part at least. If they want to go, beat Georgia. Personally, I do not think even 6 win teams should be in a bowl much less 5 win teams. There are WAY too many bowl games to the point that they have become almost an afterthought. I might watch a half dozen or so if that many.
Once again, if you think there are too many bowls, that's a different discussion.

You may not think the team "deserves" a bowl game because of the Duke game but I'm guessing you thought the team deserved one after the VT game. A bowl game is for the team more than the fans IMO. If you don't want to attend or watch it, that's up to you. If those seniors that have spent countless hours juggling school and football want to suit up one more time for GT, I'm all for it.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
From a fan's perspective, the trick is to join a Bowl Games Pick 'em Pool. Just like March Madness! That's how you make the likes of Akron vs Colorado State interesting, and a Virginia vs FIU fun.
Furthermore, after that three week holiday bonanza of football almost every day, once the CFP Championship game is over suddenly you're left with only 7 football games remaining til the off-season abyss. Sure they've expanded the bowls too much, but i for one savor that ****.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly I would be fine if they found a way for every single team to go to a bowl. Fans may not want to see 1-11 vs 2-10 teams from one of the small conferences, but those extra practices can be huge in helping a program turn a corner. Maybe if they could find a way to balance out the practice advantage I would be fine with less bowls, but until then let the kids play.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Bowls have reached the point where they are almost like getting a participation trophy in rec league ball. It's what you expect if you have a decent record. Plus, Tech does have the talking point of having played an extremely difficult schedule and without the benefit of a 12th game. I suspect that "ballin" is anticipating some sort of last second deal making with a wavier. Could happen but if our team were say, "Tulane" instead of Georgia Tech this season would be over Saturday with our record.
Not sure where this "waiver" talk is coming from. There are no "waivers" or "deals" for only getting 11 games (if that's the genesis of this line of thinking). or a deal where a good resume or talking points for 5 win teams helps you. If there are less than 78 six-win "bowl eligible" teams (which appears very unlikely this season), the ONLY method to determine 5-win teams for bowls is highest APR among those 5-win teams.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
Well some interest has been rekindled in me - If they beat Uga and land in the Sun Bowl - I am nearby right now!!!!! Plus, you know, ruins Uga season.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Not sure where this "waiver" talk is coming from. There are no "waivers" or "deals" for only getting 11 games (if that's the genesis of this line of thinking). or a deal where a good resume or talking points for 5 win teams helps you. If there are less than 78 six-win "bowl eligible" teams (which appears very unlikely this season), the ONLY method to determine 5-win teams for bowls is highest APR among those 5-win teams.

Well what you say is true but believe me if one of the factories with a large and rabid fan base was left out there would be deal making like you would not believe. One way or the other, there are teams in our situation that would move heaven and earth or the NCAA at least to get that bowl game.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Once again, if you think there are too many bowls, that's a different discussion.

You may not think the team "deserves" a bowl game because of the Duke game but I'm guessing you thought the team deserved one after the VT game. A bowl game is for the team more than the fans IMO. If you don't want to attend or watch it, that's up to you. If those seniors that have spent countless hours juggling school and football want to suit up one more time for GT, I'm all for it.

If it is indeed, for the team, then the team needs to win a game like Duke that more than likely would determine bowl eligibility. If these seniors want to suit up one more time then they need to show some leadership. Something most of them have had little inclination to do judging by the demeanor displayed in the post game press conference last week.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Word on the street is that the AD has been told that if we can not find a FBS opponent to play us, the NCAA has ensured him that he would get a waiver if we are at 5 Wins and that the Quick Lane Bowl would take Georgia Tech!

I would rather beat UGA and get to 6 wins and be selected for the Military Bowl!

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Word on the street is that the AD has been told that if we can not find a FBS opponent to play us, the NCAA has ensured him that he would get a waiver if we are at 5 Wins and that the Quick Lane Bowl would take Georgia Tech!

I would rather beat UGA and get to 6 wins and be selected for the Military Bowl!
I would rather GT beat UGAG and go to the Music City Bowl against a 7-5 Missouri team;)

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

I will host the GT Swarm pre and post game party

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
What would happen in the following scenario:

Miami and Clemson both make the playoff AND we beat Uga, UNC beats NC State, UVA beats VT

If I'm not mistaken, the Orange Bowl selects the next highest ranked ACC team, not next best conference record (I don't know how this would be decided if there is no other ranked ACC team). Who would be ranked highest in this scenario?

GT (6-5 w/ wins over Uga, VT, WF and nearly Miami and a canceled game),
VT (8-4 w/ no significant wins),
NC State (7-5 w/ no significant wins),
Louisville (8-4 w/ no significant wins),
Wake Forest (8-4 or 7-5 w/ no significant wins).

If VT loses and Clem/Miami make the playoff, it would be a very lackluster participant going to play in the Orange Bowl (I would argue VT is still a lackluster participant regardless, but at least they've spent the season in the top 25). I do believe that we would have a good shot at being ranked highest by the committee under this crazy scenario given the criteria they seem to value the most when ranking teams, which is 1) who have you played and 2) who have you beat. Unfortunately, I do not think any of these teams would be ranked so we wouldn't get to find out.

Last edited:

Jmonty71

Banned

If we beat Ugag, we would end up in a better bowl. More in the Music City range.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
If we beat Ugag, we would end up in a better bowl. More in the Music City range.
6-5 GT against 7-5 Missouri in the Music City Bowl would be one of the more interesting matchups of the Bowl season. If GT beats UGAG the Dwags will wind up playing Michigan in the Citrus Bowl in my opinion because Alabama or Auburn would beat them in the SECCG.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
6-5 GT against 7-5 Missouri in the Music City Bowl would be one of the more interesting matchups of the Bowl season. If GT beats UGAG the Dwags will wind up playing Michigan in the Citrus Bowl in my opinion because Alabama or Auburn would beat them in the SECCG.
Wouldn't it be fun to beat UGa and then see them win the SEC Championship Game?

Chaos would reign!