2017 ACC schedule

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'd like to agree super but our fan base is just much smaller than the factories'. How many people can take off work / travel to see the ACCCG, playoff game, then championship game?

Don't get me wrong I think our showing would be good, it just won't equal the numbers factories bring.

I'd like to agree super but our fan base is just much smaller than the factories'. How many people can take off work / travel to see the ACCCG, playoff game, then championship game?

Don't get me wrong I think our showing would be good, it just won't equal the numbers factories bring.
Well, seeing how Clemson had more fans there last week than Bama, don't sell anybody short.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Hmm...I have a niece in Orlando that I could go visit. She's the one that got married the weekend of the miraculous 2014 FSU home game.

On the one hand, she made me made me miss that game. :mad:

On the other hand, me being in Orlando seems to be good karma for the team.:)

On the Gripping Hand, maybe I can get my new great-niece to become a Jackets fan before her first birthday...(y)
If I can go I will probably fly to Orlando on Friday morning and then fly back to Atlanta Monday morning.:cool:

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
The problem is not that Duke has Army right before playing us. I consider that a wash, since we will get to see how they are going to play defense. The problem is that they have a bye and then Army. Duke has 3 weeks in which to prepare for the spread option. Think about that for a second... It is the equivalent to their spending their entire spring practice on beating Ga Tech.
This doesn't even take into account how many wrinkles they will be able to add to their offense in 3 weeks ...

Deleted member 2897

According to the Sporting News CPJ believes the ACC is out to screw him.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...jackets-spread-option/72htktyl7r1h0zwye456q20

Poorly written article. @tgatt_tsn Not sure where Tom Gatto got his journalism or english degree...he's completely missing the point. "he provided no specific evidence" "without absolute proof of a conspiracy, he comes off as just another whiny coach" Huh? You could debate whether extra bye weeks matter or not and so on, but you can't debate the fact that for the second year in a row, 3 of our 8 opponents got bye weeks before playing us. That is data. Facts. Evidence. Proof. The few times we have had bye weeks when our opponents haven't, we're undefeated. It doesn't matter if the teams asked for it, or if the ACC did it on purpose, or if its a bad computer program. The reason is completely irrelevant. The fact that the schedule is released without anybody from the ACC stopping the inequities is all that matters. The author for some reason is completely stuck on saying we shouldn't be complaining about this unless we have definitive proof of why it happened. That's poppycock.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I love CPJ. I have no problem with anything he's saying regarding the schedule. I'm also 100% a "GT Homer"...

I happen to also believe this statement is true (from the article) "...he comes off as just another whiny coach." To recap, I do NOT believe he is a whiny coach... but he will come off that way.

He's a very smart guy with lots of experience. I have to believe he knows he'll be labeled a whiner. So... begs the question. What is his endgame with this little spat? Fire up US? Fire up the team? Influence ACC long-term for something?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I really do understand what CPJ is saying. But has he ever had an adult conversation (no media) with the ACC office about this? Why have we not heard one way or the other?

If this is such a horrendously, ethic slapping putdown of GT by the ACC the fans and supporters have a right to know.

In all these years of conspiracy, what is the record of bye week teams vs us, AND what is our record vs them? Does it matter (beyond, perhaps, injury heal time)?

And I am shocked nobody has mentioned ut has an off week before playing us! And holy crap, look at the off time uk had. Is it possible it only benefits our opponents and we do not take advantage of the same?

But yes, we should not have to play more conference games vs bye week teams than anybody. So how can we send a giant sack of crap to lil swoffie to make the baby blue cheater ***** understand? What is everyone willing to do beyond crying on a internet board?

Deleted member 2897

In all these years of conspiracy, what is the record of bye week teams vs us, AND what is our record vs them? Does it matter (beyond, perhaps, injury heal time)?

I looked this up yesterday, and if I am correct (I went back 5 years), we have had a bye week when our opponents did not 3 times. We won all 3 games.

Our opponents had a bye week when we did not 7 times. We went 3-4. The years this happened was 2016 (twice), 2014 (twice), 2013 (once), and 2012 (twice). If I did all my research correctly. Those 4 years our record was 20-12 in the ACC. So our win percentage was 50% higher in games where our opponent hadn't had the previous week off versus when they did.

To me, it couldn't be more obvious of an advantage. The game results tell it. And logically, the other team gets more time to plan, scheme, and heal their bodies from previous weeks.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I looked this up yesterday, and if I am correct (I went back 5 years), we have had a bye week when our opponents did not 3 times. We won all 3 games.

Our opponents had a bye week when we did not 7 times. We went 3-4. The years this happened was 2016 (twice), 2014 (twice), 2013 (once), and 2012 (twice). If I did all my research correctly. Those 4 years our record was 20-12 in the ACC. So our win percentage was 50% higher in games where our opponent hadn't had the previous week off versus when they did.

To me, it couldn't be more obvious of an advantage. The game results tell it. And logically, the other team gets more time to plan, scheme, and heal their bodies from previous weeks.
I can't wait to see if this backfires against Duke. Our scheme offensively is very physical compared to most. It is the week after playing us where teams seem to struggle ( My observation and memory). This game is also very late in the season. Going into the game will the Duke defense have the mindset to out physical our offense?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Sure he is a whiny coach. Ever met one who wasn't? He's also a guy who is always looking for a shoulder to put that huge 2x4 motivational chip on, and he found it here in the schedule: they are out to get us! But it is true that just because he's paranoid doesn't mean they're not. Army, as many may not have noticed, has developed in three years of Monken into a powerful run game that is chalking up numbers GT once collected running the ball, not so much the last couple of years in a comparative sense. Army chewed up and spit out Navy two years in a row. I might suspect that when Army gets through with them they will have no idea how to stop the spread option.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The problem is not that Duke has Army right before playing us. I consider that a wash, since we will get to see how they are going to play defense. The problem is that they have a bye and then Army. Duke has 3 weeks in which to prepare for the spread option. Think about that for a second... It is the equivalent to their spending their entire spring practice on beating Ga Tech.
This doesn't even take into account how many wrinkles they will be able to add to their offense in 3 weeks ...

Who cares...does it help when they have a Bye before playing two spread teams back to back?

The prep time for the system isn't what bothers me...what bothers me is the time to get healthy.

Arguing that the time to prep for the offense is bad is basically saying we run a gimmick system, which I don't believe to be true.

I agree that what the conference has done is BS because they're showing clear favoritism, but I just don't think it's helping those teams all that much.

Since I don't really want to spend the time doing it, can someone (or has someone) put together the results of our games since CPJ has been here where teams have more time to prepare than we do? I don't think bowls or the first game of the year should count since everyone is on equal ground.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Who are the teams? Seems silly to say the BYE is the reason without listing who it was. I mean let's say it was a top 10 team that had the BYE...is the BYE the reason we lost?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
What would really bother me is if one team got a BYE before they played us every year...like if UNC had a BYE every year they played us it would upset me more. As it is, I think we just have to deal with it and win the damn division

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Arguing that the time to prep for the offense is bad is basically saying we run a gimmick system, which I don't believe to be true.

I disagree. I feel like extra time to prep for any offense helps. Offenses are different. Just because our's is more different than others doesn't make it a gimmick.