2017 ACC schedule

Deleted member 2897

Who are the teams? Seems silly to say the BYE is the reason without listing who it was. I mean let's say it was a top 10 team that had the BYE...is the BYE the reason we lost?

IIRC the 3 times we had a bye where the other didn't (we went 3-0) were Duke in 2014 and 2013 (again, I think), and Boston College in 2012. Duke won 10 games and 9 games in 2014 and 2013, so you know that scheduling ticked them off. BC was bad in 2012.

The 3-4 record when teams had a bye before playing us when we didn't, I didn't write all that down. But honestly, with there being 7 games, that's gotta be a wide enough spread across different types of teams that it matters. Especially given that our ACC record during that time was 20-12. Look at it this way, we were 3-4 in those games. Remove that from the 20-12 and its 17-8. We were 3-4 in ACC games where the other team had a bye and we didn't...we were 17-8 in all the other ACC games those years.

Deleted member 2897

For those of us skeptical of coincidences, this seems ample reason. A really interesting scheduling quirk. Or scheduling something. And early on UNC was about the most vocal whiners in the ACC orbit about the offense.

The fact that UNC essentially ran a fake university for several years and didn't even suffer as much as a censure from the ACC tells you all you need to know.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
The fact that UNC essentially ran a fake university for several years and didn't even suffer as much as a censure from the ACC tells you all you need to know.
North Carolina's football program is every bit as crooked and rule breaking as Ole Miss in the SEC. I think both schools fix transcripts along with SAT and ACT tests for football and in UNC's case basketball

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
10-2 next year...I swear if we lose to a horrible Tennessee team I'll be pissed.

Losses to Miami and Clemson.

#THWG

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Clem is a factory also and their fan base was more fired up. Bama travels well but nattys almost mundane there compared to Clem.
I am not sure I would go that far. Make no mistake, they go all out to win, and have a curriculum for everyone. But with Swinney anyway Clemson is one of the schools that has a program in place to bring back those players short of a degree and who meet certain requirements (it is not open-ended, three year type of stuff) and with donor funding and IPTAY funding, pay for some period of time to finish. Swinney himself is very determined about it and last year brought back a former Clemson baseball player/punter who was for 13 years a major league baseball shortstop. Made him a football GA and insisted he get the degree. I will be curious to see if he helps Swinney with his little league team. Wouldn't that be awesome for a 12-year-old?

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure I would go that far. Make no mistake, they go all out to win, and have a curriculum for everyone. But with Swinney anyway Clemson is one of the schools that has a program in place to bring back those players short of a degree and who meet certain requirements (it is not open-ended, three year type of stuff) and with donor funding and IPTAY funding, pay for some period of time to finish. Swinney himself is very determined about it and last year brought back a former Clemson baseball player/punter who was for 13 years a major league baseball shortstop. Made him a football GA and insisted he get the degree. I will be curious to see if he helps Swinney with his little league team. Wouldn't that be awesome for a 12-year-old?
I have a feeling Dabo will be offered the Bank by Alabama when Nick Satan finally decides to hang up his headset.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I have a feeling Dabo will be offered the Bank by Alabama when Nick Satan finally decides to hang up his headset.

Yea, we'll see. I think they'd be smart to do that, for sure. but bammers have gotten used to old crusty ball coach that is Nick Saban. Evangelizing, goofball Dabo doesn't really fit what they think a football coach should be...

I think getting the keys to that castle will depend on how Dabo does the next few years. If he proves that he can get back to the big game without Watson then who knows what'll happen. However, Clemson is a top destination in of itself, not sure what he gains by leaving. He'll be able to name his price when its time to renegotiate.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Yea, we'll see. I think they'd be smart to do that, for sure. but bammers have gotten used to old crusty ball coach that is Nick Saban. Evangelizing, goofball Dabo doesn't really fit what they think a football coach should be...

I think getting the keys to that castle will depend on how Dabo does the next few years. If he proves that he can get back to the big game without Watson then who knows what'll happen. However, Clemson is a top destination in of itself, not sure what he gains by leaving. He'll be able to name his price when its time to renegotiate.
I have a feeling if Nick goes to the National Championship Game in 2017 Nick could very well retire win or lose. Eli Gold was wondering aloud to the Color Guy on the Crimson Tide Network after Clemson defeated Alabama whether 2017 would be the Nick Saban Farewell Tour.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I think Swinney sometimes gets typecast for a couple of bad coaching decisions in his first two years. And he is what he is so to speak with that energy level that won't change. But he is a great recruiter, great in hiring assistants, the AD and school president support him, and now he a sound ball coach. No question he does not hide his religion but I have never heard that he pushes it on his players in the evangelical sense. There is chapel before every game but no pressure to attend and no names taken; maybe half the players and coaches are there. (You know, a coach does not want to go into say a Catholic home and tell the parents of a 5-star QB they ought to get right with God or what not. Same with his politics, probably about 180 degrees from many if not most of those homes.) Nor am I sure that he sees Alabama as the dream job everybody thinks he does. That culture is almost opposite of what he fosters at Clemson (family night? renting out putt-putt courses and amusement parks?) It works for Saban but probably for no other coach in the country. There is a huge downside to Alabama, and remember he got fired from there. He sees what he has at Clemson as the real dream job right now, and every year he wins he gets more stuff, including next year a huge football building with all the extras for players and for recruiting. Plus, IPTAY and the school president are on record that they intend to win a money war. I just don't see him going anywhere. Certainly until his 12-year-old graduates at best, and his oldest will be a walk-on WR this fall. You're right: right now Clemson is in fact a top destination.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I think you're correct. The academic calendar has September 29 as the date progress report grades are due for lower level classes, which happens right after midterms. Then we play UNC on the 30th.
Progress Report grades are required at about the six-week mark, and are only submitted for freshman and sophomore courses. They don't really trigger a block of major exams all around the Institute, like the Mid-Term Exams of days gone by. Heck, my department pays no attention to the PR deadlines, when we schedule tests. We just make sure that we've given at least one test (out of four) before that point.

Major "mid-term" exams are more likely to fall in the week before Fall Recess, which is a Monday+Tuesday break in mid to late October. That's when you'll see students taking three or four big tests in one week. The other big testing week in Fall is the week prior to Thanksgiving week.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Swinney sometimes gets typecast for a couple of bad coaching decisions in his first two years. And he is what he is so to speak with that energy level that won't change. But he is a great recruiter, great in hiring assistants, the AD and school president support him, and now he a sound ball coach. No question he does not hide his religion but I have never heard that he pushes it on his players in the evangelical sense. There is chapel before every game but no pressure to attend and no names taken; maybe half the players and coaches are there. (You know, a coach does not want to go into say a Catholic home and tell the parents of a 5-star QB they ought to get right with God or what not. Same with his politics, probably about 180 degrees from many if not most of those homes.) Nor am I sure that he sees Alabama as the dream job everybody thinks he does. That culture is almost opposite of what he fosters at Clemson (family night? renting out putt-putt courses and amusement parks?) It works for Saban but probably for no other coach in the country. There is a huge downside to Alabama, and remember he got fired from there. He sees what he has at Clemson as the real dream job right now, and every year he wins he gets more stuff, including next year a huge football building with all the extras for players and for recruiting. Plus, IPTAY and the school president are on record that they intend to win a money war. I just don't see him going anywhere. Certainly until his 12-year-old graduates at best, and his oldest will be a walk-on WR this fall. You're right: right now Clemson is in fact a top destination.

agreed on all points, and I didn't mean "evangelizing" as necessarily just religion...He seems to be a high energy evangelical about many things-not just religion (he preaches about his deep love for Clemson and his players for example). It's really a matter of taste, but I absolutely love the guy. I always have. In fact, if I'm the AD a P5 program I'm looking at what Clemson did when they hired and replicate it. Step 1) Hire dynamic, energetic young recruiter that can excite recruits and the fanbase Step 2) give him a blank check on hiring the best and brightest staff you can find. I mean, you don't even need Clemson money to give it a shot. Take us, for example (please god don't let us get rid of CPJ), if you take CPJ's current package of 3mm and say lower it to $1.5, well you've freed up 1.5 to play with to expand staff or pay your DC and OC big time dollars. A few years of success then you can reward that young HC with a huge package. These big time program's coaches earn their money for their school, but if you take a young up and comer and make him prove it but give him every tool to see it happen? Well I think that makes more sense.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I have a feeling if Nick goes to the National Championship Game in 2017 Nick could very well retire win or lose. Eli Gold was wondering aloud to the Color Guy on the Crimson Tide Network after Clemson defeated Alabama whether 2017 would be the Nick Saban Farewell Tour.

Kind of tangentially related...A guy I went to high school with was on Saban's staff when he first got there, and he shared a funny story that they'd have a staff pickup basketball game and that they could never end until Saban's team won. So they'd play on and on and on and on....

I think Saban will have to go out on a high note. He's way too competitive. I hope that Bowden's tale is cautionary to Saban though, and gets how before he turns the villain (though from where we are today, I can't see that happening. He could run for Governor, no, President and sweep the state easily)