2015 Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking very hard the past few days about the "contract extension". I personally can not see why CPJ deserves an extension. We have a very IMPORTNAT game coming up(6 years in a row if we lose). I am fine with CPJ for the next two season but to give him a huge deal would be idiotic. Looking at next year schedule, there is a good chance we could not make a bowl. I am all in for CPJ but he has a long road ahead of him guys. We had a pretty good schedule this year and everybody should know that! This time next year we may all be saying "Why did we give him an extension". I could be wrong but there is a good chance we struggle next year. Losing Days,Laskey,Conners,Zenon,Hill,Smelter,Waller, and Perkins is going to hurt big time. I would wait until mid season of next year before I done anything. I'm SORRY boys but winning a few games this year does not make up for past seasons.

Hiram_Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Next year's offense may need a few games to find a rhythm, but I think it will be fine. By all accounts, the D should take another step forward under Roof in his third year, when taking account who we'll be getting back (JHD, Whitehead). Remember, FSU will probably not have Winston, and Notre Dame will certainly not have Golson. That makes those 2 key matchups much more bearable in my eyes.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Next man up, we're in the right direction. The guys you've mentioned are good team players, but not irreplaceable. Think about losing Attachou, Jemea, and Godhigh last year. We all thought that overall we could be worse on both sides of the ball. Not to mention Dieke, Watts, and the O linemen which is similar to most of the talent level we're losing with the exception of Smelter and Mason. We'll be fine

Still missing my point here. CPJ has not earned an extension to this point. We could very easily lose 2-3 games before the season is over. Then there is next year schedule that could just ruin everything.

The reason CPJ has to get an extension is for recruiting......you cannot recruit properly if a coach has only 1-2 years left on a contract.

2nd.....after the way the team has performed this season.....CPJ deserves the extension.
I guess GT should have game him one after the 2008,2009,and 2011 season right ??? Your only looking at one season where GT had a good schedule.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
I have been thinking very hard the past few days about the "contract extension". I personally can not see why CPJ deserves an extension. We have a very IMPORTNAT game coming up(6 years in a row if we lose). I am fine with CPJ for the next two season but to give him a huge deal would be idiotic. Looking at next year schedule, there is a good chance we could not make a bowl. I am all in for CPJ but he has a long road ahead of him guys. We had a pretty good schedule this year and everybody should know that! This time next year we may all be saying "Why did we give him an extension". I could be wrong but there is a good chance we struggle next year. Losing Days,Laskey,Conners,Zenon,Hill,Smelter,Waller, and Perkins is going to hurt big time. I would wait until mid season of next year before I done anything. I'm SORRY boys but winning a few games this year does not make up for past seasons.

I understand your overall thoughts BJ90 but I don't understand how citing next year's schedule changes your opinion of retaining our coaching staff.

For next year's schedule to be relevant to me, I would have to believe that we would be better positioned to be successful under different leadership. The teams we will play against are going to be good regardless of who our coach is... we have no control over the quality of the teams we play, we can only control the quality of the team we place in front of them to compete.

As it looks now, next year is going to be a very difficult schedule... I can't imagine a better group of coaches to lead our team into that difficult schedule.

Just like any organization, continuity and clear definition of the organization's methods and stated goals are essential to success... We are on an upward trajectory and the administration plays a large part in that, and they seem to have a great deal of confidence in Coach Johnson's methods and leadership.

Destroying that continuity now, as we are finally reaping rewards of seeds sown, would be destructive at best... I would not be reluctant to extend his contract over the next few months, and I certainly would not play coy with him and staff. Pay the man in good faith and expect requisite performance in good faith.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
If we don't give an extension after winning 9 games so far who in the hell would come here and coach with the academic restrictions and the half *** fan base we have? Seriously. Who?!? Give the extension or start all over with a no name coach or a hot offensive coordinator who will be looking for the next big job. Accept who we are and deal with it. We are an overachieving program that only can recruit a certain type of young man that can handle academics and athletics.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I'm trying to decide if it's serious or a trolling exercise.

The overall expectation of this year's team was low due to loss of key players on both sides of the ball, new QB, blah , blah no need to rehash.

In spite of the issues, CPJ has proven that his program is resilient and healthy. Yes we are a few bad bounces away from loses to both GSU and VaTech but we are also a couple bounces away from wins over Duke and UNC and a very real shot at a playoff birth for a NC. Had we won those games, would CPJ then be deserving of an extension?

This year's success is in addition to the fact that CPJ's players represent GT admirably off the field and in the classroom.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion, but I'm entitled to think that it stinks.

Who let the dawg fan in?
It's called being realistic Sean311. I refuse to be a delusional fan with crazy thoughts. You will always read that my post are straight facts with very good points. I love GT just as much as the next guy but being honest does not make me or any other person on this board a "dawg fan".

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Still missing my point here. CPJ has not earned an extension to this point in my opinion.

Fixed that for you. Clearly a lot of people don't agree.

We could very easily lose 2-3 games before the season is over. Then there is next year schedule that could just ruin everything.

I don't know what your opinion of CPJ is or what your expectations this season were but this just reeks of you moving the goal posts back until you can say "I TOLD YOU SO" because you don't like the guy.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
It's called being realistic Sean311. I refuse to be a delusional fan with crazy thoughts. You will always read that my post are straight facts with very good points. I love GT just as much as the next guy but being honest does not make me or any other person on this board a "dawg fan".

It's called a joke...but I agree with you, I think they should wait to extend the contract. You never know what the future holds, but if they decided to give him one I would completely understand. He seems perfect for the job.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
Help me understand what would merit an extension for CPJ. What else would we need to accomplish to justify keeping this guy around?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let's see... 7 years of at least bowl level performance with 3 seasons of at least 9 wins. A bad hire in Groh holding us back from 8 plus win minimums. The data in improved recruiting, games won, and games won with the restrictions of GT says we need to keep this coach. I know some of you say keep looking until we perform like Alabama... You don't know what you have till it is gone.

CPJ is a good man raising strong sons worthy of the name GT.

It's called a joke...but I agree with you, I think they should wait to extend the contract. You never know what the future holds, but if they decided to give him one I would completely understand. He seems perfect for the job.

If GT did extend him i wouldn't sit around and dwell about it. I want to see more than a few wins with a easy schedule.
You lost me at 'not.'

Rather than dispute my argument you would rather point out grammar mistakes than talk football.

Status
Not open for further replies.