2015 Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's called being realistic Sean311. I refuse to be a delusional fan with crazy thoughts. You will always read that my post are straight facts with very good points. I love GT just as much as the next guy but being honest does not make me or any other person on this board a "dawg fan".
You just don't get it. Your "facts" are not the only facts. There are a whole lot of boys on this site that look at a whole bunch of different facts. PJ is one of the most successful coaches we have had a GT. He graduates his players at an exceptionally high rate. He understands the meaning of "student athlete". As I said in another post, he makes a lot of us REALLY PROUD to be a Jacket and having this team and THIS coach represent GT is damn good. This team has been exciting, hard working, resilient and getting better each week. This team is behind their coach and busting their butts for each other. That moment on the field when Broderick went down, and the whole team circled up around him says it all. Coach has had other teams that have done the same thing. He out coaches the D coaches of other teams and it is beautiful thing to watch. He adjusts better than any other coach I have ever seen and I have been a round a lot longer than you. Our D is going to have excellent players next year and we will retool the AB and WR. There are so many things to love about PJ, and no amount of glass half empty, pessimism about a 2015 Schedule (what are we talking here...Schedule, Schedule, I mean we are talking Schedule? you are going to be afraid of a Schedule???) is going to change my opinion of Coach. For GT, Coach is the right man.

Last edited:

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
If Duke loses on Thursday, we could be in the ACC Champs v. FSU.
We could lose to UGA, then to FSU, then to someone in a bowl game. That'd be three more loses.

That being said, this guy is probably a troll.
He hasn't said what would be good enough to warrant an extension. I imagine it's because his answer is "nothing."

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let's see... 7 years of at least bowl level performance with 3 seasons of at least 9 wins. A bad hire in Groh holding us back from 8 plus win minimums. The data in improved recruiting, games won, and games won with the restrictions of GT says we need to keep this coach. I know some of you say keep looking until we perform like Alabama... You don't know what you have till it is gone.

CPJ is a good man raising strong sons worthy of the name GT.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
What would warrant an extension?
If he didn't get an extension, left because he didn't feel secure in his job, and the new coach won 3 games in his first season, would the non-extension still be justified?

Last edited by a moderator:

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
The main reason for being unhappy with CPJ was losing to the "Big 4" all the time. Well we're 3-0 against them right now and at worst tie for a Coastal title. He deserves an extension. Finally got the backing on recruiting and it is paying off. We have a top 25 class coming in and right now are rank 16th in the coaches poll with 50th+ recruiting classes on the field. He is a perfect fit for us

You give him an extension now, because it sends a message to recruits that we stand by our coach and, barring the unexpected, he will be there for them until they graduate. You give him an extension now because it tells him that we stand by him and appreciate all that he has done and continues to do, and IMHO that is ONE HELLUVA LOT!!! You give him an extension now, because, simply, HE DESERVES IT !!!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
After this season, I feel you have to at minimum extend PJ until Justin graduates. I think he has earned that from results on the field and in the classroom.

Working under that assumption (which is just that, an assumption) you have to decide as an AD when you will have more leverage in the negotiations. If you foresee two straight losses, you may as well wait so that you have more to bargain with. If you think we win 2-3 more, it may be best to extend now and potentially lock him up for even longer.

I personally think we should lock him up ASAP.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The 2015 schedule isn't as formidable if you take a closer look.

Yes, FSU and ND rotates in and we also have to the usual "Big Four", but let's look a little closer:

FSU: Jameis Winston is gone after this year. No way he is returning. Still a lot of talent on that team, but FSU is a different team without him. Remember, Winston followed 2 first round QBs and FSU still didn't play to the level that they have the last two seasons. Remember when Jameis was suspended earlier this year? Not going to be an easy game even without Jameis, but the game is a lot more manageable...heck, I think we have a good shot in ACCCG against FSU WITH Jameis.

ND: Everett Gholson is gone after this year. See above and the same applies to ND. ND hasn't look especially great with Gholson this year.

Clemson: Watson is going to be special for Clemson, but their defense loses a lot of guys. They probably did the best job of defending us of any team this year, but I think their personnel losses coupled with another year for our guys to mature and develop will set up well. More on this later.

VT: Going in the wrong direction, and it doesn't look like they've reloaded enough to improve any time soon...especially not next year.

Miami: Kaaya will be one of the better QBs. Of the Big 4, this may actually be the hardest of the games.

UGA: Loses Hutson Mason, Gurley, and their best WRs. Their backup QBs are not that good, or else Mason would have been sharing snaps this year because he's played like a mid level QB. Plus, you have to believe UGA is going to lose a good number of guys during the offseason because let's face it, it's an annual thing with them.

Now let's look at GT. We'll be coming off a 9+ win season with a bunch of really young guys. Our biggest loss on offense will be Smelter, Shaq, and our BBs. We'll return our most important piece of our offense in JT, Byerly will be back, and our OL will return with more experience and MORE talent backing them up. OL has been a strength this year, and it's only going to improve next year. Losing Smelter hurts a lot, but there's some really good raw talent coming in with Howell, Philpott, and Singleton. Jeune needs to step up, and Messick has shown that the staff isn't hesitant to put him in. Summers will continue to do what he's always done...be consistent even if he's not spectacular. Andrews is a very good AB with the ball in his hands, Snoddy has been a revelation and hopefully he returns better than ever...plus we've got two of the best all-around ABs CPJ has recruited who both are burners. BB could be an issue as we're going to depend on unproven guys. Even then, I think CPJ can scheme around that.

On defense, our biggest loss will be IJ at Safety, Green at DT, and Nealy at LB. I think Hunt-Days will be the equal of Green, and the DE spot will be LOADED with a more experienced and physically developed Freemon, Simmons, Gamble (if he doesn't return to DT), and we get Whitehead in the mix. Gotsis will be back to anchor our DL. In the secondary, DJ White will be a potential preseason ALL ACC guy, Jamal Golden will be back along with Griffin and Demon Smith. Add to that Searcy and AJ Gray (my pick to replace IJ). Our secondary will be fine. PJ Davis will be back to average 10+ tackles a game, but we'll need to find 2 other guys to fill out the LB corp. The 2015 defense will be better than the 2014 defense...and I think it will resemble what we've seen the last 4 games. Opportunistic with big play capability.

I don't see why we can't win 9+ games next year as well given what our opponents are losing, and what we'll have back personnel-wise.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Contract extensions are given for 2 reasons; keep the coach from leaving or to solidify recruiting.
Johnson ain't going nowhere. So no extension to keep him from leaving is required.
Only two years on a contract will kill recruiting next cycle. Needs an extension or GT needs to move to the Sunbelt.

Reality check. Since Dodd retired GT has won about 52% of its football games. Johnson is winning about 60% of his games at GT, same as O'Leary and
Gailey. Since college football was integrated GT has been a .500 football program. That is just the way it is. There is NOTHING the GTAA can do to change that.

You have a coach who is better than the program's last 50 years. Keep him.

The 2015 schedule isn't as formidable if you take a closer look.

Yes, FSU and ND rotates in and we also have to the usual "Big Four", but let's look a little closer:

FSU: Jameis Winston is gone after this year. No way he is returning. Still a lot of talent on that team, but FSU is a different team without him. Remember, Winston followed 2 first round QBs and FSU still didn't play to the level that they have the last two seasons. Remember when Jameis was suspended earlier this year? Not going to be an easy game even without Jameis, but the game is a lot more manageable...heck, I think we have a good shot in ACCCG against FSU WITH Jameis.

ND: Everett Gholson is gone after this year. See above and the same applies to ND. ND hasn't look especially great with Gholson this year.

Clemson: Watson is going to be special for Clemson, but their defense loses a lot of guys. They probably did the best job of defending us of any team this year, but I think their personnel losses coupled with another year for our guys to mature and develop will set up well. More on this later.

VT: Going in the wrong direction, and it doesn't look like they've reloaded enough to improve any time soon...especially not next year.

Miami: Kaaya will be one of the better QBs. Of the Big 4, this may actually be the hardest of the games.

UGA: Loses Hutson Mason, Gurley, and their best WRs. Their backup QBs are not that good, or else Mason would have been sharing snaps this year because he's played like a mid level QB. Plus, you have to believe UGA is going to lose a good number of guys during the offseason because let's face it, it's an annual thing with them.

Now let's look at GT. We'll be coming off a 9+ win season with a bunch of really young guys. Our biggest loss on offense will be Smelter, Shaq, and our BBs. We'll return our most important piece of our offense in JT, Byerly will be back, and our OL will return with more experience and MORE talent backing them up. OL has been a strength this year, and it's only going to improve next year. Losing Smelter hurts a lot, but there's some really good raw talent coming in with Howell, Philpott, and Singleton. Jeune needs to step up, and Messick has shown that the staff isn't hesitant to put him in. Summers will continue to do what he's always done...be consistent even if he's not spectacular. Andrews is a very good AB with the ball in his hands, Snoddy has been a revelation and hopefully he returns better than ever...plus we've got two of the best all-around ABs CPJ has recruited who both are burners. BB could be an issue as we're going to depend on unproven guys. Even then, I think CPJ can scheme around that.

On defense, our biggest loss will be IJ at Safety, Green at DT, and Nealy at LB. I think Hunt-Days will be the equal of Green, and the DE spot will be LOADED with a more experienced and physically developed Freemon, Simmons, Gamble (if he doesn't return to DT), and we get Whitehead in the mix. Gotsis will be back to anchor our DL. In the secondary, DJ White will be a potential preseason ALL ACC guy, Jamal Golden will be back along with Griffin and Demon Smith. Add to that Searcy and AJ Gray (my pick to replace IJ). Our secondary will be fine. PJ Davis will be back to average 10+ tackles a game, but we'll need to find 2 other guys to fill out the LB corp. The 2015 defense will be better than the 2014 defense...and I think it will resemble what we've seen the last 4 games. Opportunistic with big play capability.

I don't see why we can't win 9+ games next year as well given what our opponents are losing, and what we'll have back personnel-wise.
Great Post! Finally someone that wants to talk a little football without crazy emotions involved.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Smelter will def be the biggest loss. I think our WR will be more even across the board next year so we mau not have that single go-to guy bc I don't see someone who can come in and perform at his level right away ( would love to be wrong there) Our ABs have been great this year but I'm not worried at AB bc that is the one position that always ends up fine. Orwin gave way to godhigh gave way to Perkins... Think we're good.

Shaq will be a huge loss of the OL,but where from 2013 to 2014 we were all convinced the OL would be Shaq and then the rest (with hope for shamire), it turned out the OL has done very well outside of mason and will only get better next year and with improved depth thanks to better OL recruiting.

BB is definitely our biggest hit in terms of depth so we'll see where that goes.

The defense looks to get much better depth wise and I think talent wise. Green and Nealy are the biggest losses but we get JHD and whitehead. I don't break down film but IJ doesn't seem like that big of a loss to me.

As far as our schedule being a bear? GOOD. Bc of the usual preseason rankings and pedigree of the programs on our schedule we'lol probably have one of the best SOSs in the country and I'm pumped. Navy gave ND all they could handle WITH golson. A Winstonless FSU is much less of a threat. With him it seems like no comeback can't be made regardless of talent. I'd like to play FSU a with Winston just to see how we'd stack up but our other games against FSU under CPJ havent been 1 sided blowouts even though they have more talent each year than most of college football.

I'm not gonna debate contract details but some form of extension is needed unless you plan on firing him after this season... Which would lead us to Marylands fate

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
You give him an extension now, because it sends a message to recruits that we stand by our coach and, barring the unexpected, he will be there for them until they graduate. You give him an extension now because it tells him that we stand by him and appreciate all that he has done and continues to do, and IMHO that is ONE HELLUVA LOT!!! You give him an extension now, because, simply, HE DESERVES IT !!!
+1
This is what needs to go down. This guy is the best for our job. Keeps players eligible within reason, dumps the guys that need t go and wins....

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone else sick of people confusing the word "pessimism" for "realism."

You lose a ton of good will if you keep telling CPJ "show me more" after what he's done this season. In fact you basically tell him GT football is about one thing which is beating your in state rival when they have joke classes, a large bagman network, conference hype, and an accommodating administration. You have none of that. Good luck.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I also just want to add, if CPJ says he doesn't want to negotiate mid season you respect that but you let him know, GT is ready to offer an extension if he's changed his mind in that respect. That let's him know we've seen what we need to see, and he's gambling his own money in these next few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.