2015 Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Winning 9 games at GT is a feat any year...just look at our past. If our bottom is winning 7 games then you have to he happy with that when our ceiling is 10+...we're trending in the right direction. Hard to argue against that.

Curious what do you think he should do to get a extension @BabyJacket1990

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
For me, I just don't understand how the 2015 schedule, or any future schedule, has any effect on what we do with our coach. If we think someone else can do a better job, we owe it to our program to make the change regardless of schedule.

Count me amongst the fans that thinks CPJ is the best man for the job. I love his intensity, competitiveness, and his knowledge of the game. Plus, while he's realistic about the disadvantages we have versus other schools, he accepts no excuses for failing to meet expectations (I call this the anti David Braine principle).

Yes, the 2015 schedule is hard, but I'm looking forward to the games. We are an up-trending program and I'm looking forward to what we accomplish with CPJ at the helm.

Animal02

Banned
For me, I just don't understand how the 2015 schedule, or any future schedule, has any effect on what we do with our coach. If we think someone else can do a better job, we owe it to our program to make the change regardless of schedule.

Count me amongst the fans that thinks CPJ is the best man for the job. I love his intensity, competitiveness, and his knowledge of the game. Plus, while he's realistic about the disadvantages we have versus other schools, he accepts no excuses for failing to meet expectations (I call this the anti David Braine principle).

Yes, the 2015 schedule is hard, but I'm looking forward to the games. We are an up-trending program and I'm looking forward to what we accomplish with CPJ at the helm.

I do not get it either........next year we will have a FCS home game , home games against Tulane, Florida State, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech and Georgia, away games against Clemson, Duke, Miami, Virginia and ND.....if the wheels fall off, we win 6, but I think we will be once again in the 7-9 win range with the possibility of 10+ depending how the ball bounces. There is no game next year that is not winnable....I think the toughest game will be @ Clemson.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Fsu and ugag will have new QB's right? ND isn't a world beater, all those games are winnable. Miami and Clemson will be tough, the rest of those teams we should beat period.

Animal02

Banned
Fsu and ugag will have new QB's right? ND isn't a world beater, all those games are winnable. Miami and Clemson will be tough, the rest of those teams we should beat period.

Agreed.....ND has Texas and UVA before we go play them........meanwhile we will have a FCS team and Tulane at home before traveling.........I think that sets up nice for us.
Georgia on the other hand...has Auburn away, Southern, and then comes to BDS.....looks like they really want the practice against the option.
Miami on the road is always tough....especially if it is early in the season and hot. I do not see Pitt, UNC or VT as big challenges.....UVA probably will not be much different, Duke should be back to being Duke.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Babyjacket, where I have an issue is when you base much of your assessment on what may happen in the future (e.g. 3 potential losses this year, potential losses next year due to tough schedule and players being tough to replace) as being a "realistic" assessment. To me much of your argument should be labeled "speculation". Since none of us are psychics, the decision should be made based on his body of work so far.

I manage people and none of them will continue employment and receive raises this year based on whether I THINK they will have a good year in 2015. The only time speculation is the major factor was before they were initially hired. Others have already given solid reasons why CPJ deserves an extension and I agree with them. You may not agree and that is your right. I wonder how you would feel if your boss decide to hold back on your pay raise next year because of speculation that you may not have a good year in in 2015. I know the analogy isn't airtight but I hope you see my resistance to your argument.

thwuga

Georgia Tech Fan
Not sure how anyone can say CPJ hasn't earned an extension to this point.

I've been plenty critical of our recruiting troubles, which has been our #1 challenge by far in his tenure... and it finally looks like we're turning that around. Even today, CPJ has 100% his guys in the program, we're young, and we finally have a team that has fully "bought in" and is playing well. He's bringing in arguably his best class right now. The future is bright.

But even ignoring the current up-trend, his winning percentage just doesn't deserve firing. Compare him to predecessors at Tech. There's no reasonable argument to be made that he shouldn't be extended.

Now, if you want to talk about how much that extension should be worth, that's fine. But I don't think anyone's saying he should get a record/lifetime contract. He should get a 4-5 year extension.

Edit: I should add... recruiting aside... who on our schedule do we have a coaching disadvantage against? That alone should tell you whether we should extend him. And that makes me wonder why I'm wasting time even replying to this.

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
BabyJacket, in your opinion what does CPJ have to do to receive an extension? If it is to win 10 and have top 25 recruiting classes every year it ain't gonna happen no matter who we have as a coach.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
What would warrant an extension?
If he didn't get an extension, left because he didn't feel secure in his job, and the new coach won 3 games in his first season, would the non-extension still be justified?

Beating uga would warrant one.

If PJ did not get an extension and left under your scenario, and the new coach went 14 - 0, would that have warranted a non extension?

I am only stating that the season is not over. I think we are better than last year however, but GT fans ( like most fans) are reactionary in these matters.

Extensions can work both ways. The OP simply laid out some thoughts that some don't like because they do not, it would appear, want to think about some things.

I think his contract should be reworked regardless. I think it is absurd he has no, as I understand it, $ incentive for beating uga.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Just look at clemson's depth chart. They are losing a ton. Not saying they won't be tough because it is at their house. They were a very senior heavy team.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
If PJ did not get an extension and left under your scenario, and the new coach went 14 - 0, would that have warranted a non extension?

I am only stating that the season is not over. I think we are better than last year however, but GT fans ( like most fans) are reactionary in these matters.

But that's my point exactly. Is OP arguing that no extension should be granted because his performance up to this point hasn't been sufficient to warrant an extension, or because his record COULD be worse next year?

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It's called being realistic Sean311. I refuse to be a delusional fan with crazy thoughts. You will always read that my post are straight facts with very good points. I love GT just as much as the next guy but being honest does not make me or any other person on this board a "dawg fan".

This is exactly what you are. Troll on

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I do not get it either........next year we will have a FCS home game , home games against Tulane, Florida State, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech and Georgia, away games against Clemson, Duke, Miami, Virginia and ND.....if the wheels fall off, we win 6, but I think we will be once again in the 7-9 win range with the possibility of 10+ depending how the ball bounces. There is no game next year that is not winnable....I think the toughest game will be @ Clemson.
And @ Miami

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This reminds me of so many other conversations. Take this one, for instance. Tech has consistently exceeded the expectation of the pundits when it comes to how high they finish every year in the ACC. Tech also contends for a place in the ACCC every year. But the critics then respond by talking about how "crummy" the ACC is so that CPJ's accomplishments don't mean anything. All you can do is play the schedule you are given. And the facts say CPJ is a consistent winner at a difficult place to coach.

@Eric
I wasn't calling for CPJ head like someone other posters took it. I wrote it to show some other posters that are riding *high* off this season, that a few games left this year and next year could be a nightmare. For me this thread was started because I read where people wanted something done before the UGA game. I say let the season play out and go from there. If we beat UGA,(FSU)if we make it, and Bowl game then yeah , give the man 2 more years. We could easily win these games or lose them. My problem is extended him now. I am just looking at the next 14-15 games that could end up being a disaster(LOT of seniors on offense are leaving). I have a very good reason to be concerned just like some of you have reasons not to be concerned.

*I am not going to write about past seasons and the recruiting problems(Other than this year).I am not going to write about the struggles in the past with the big 4.

I am a TECH man to the day I die! I love the program just as much as anyone on here.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
@Eric
I wasn't calling for CPJ head like someone other posters took it. I wrote it to show some other posters that are riding *high* off this season, that a few games left this year and next year could be a nightmare. For me this thread was started because I read where people wanted something done before the UGA game. I say let the season play out and go from there. If we beat UGA,(FSU)if we make it, and Bowl game then yeah , give the man 2 more years.
If he beats UGA, FSU, and bowl, and we only offer two years, he will most undoubtably rip the offer up and laugh in our faces while he goes find an opportunity elsewhere where the team will appreciate the work he has done for them. Maybe this isn't the case, but two years for what would be (in the scenario where we win the next three) the best season since 1990 seems like a slap in the face.

If he beats UGA, FSU, and bowl, and we only offer two years, he will most undoubtably rip the offer up and laugh in our faces while he goes find an opportunity elsewhere where the team will appreciate the work he has done for them. Maybe this isn't the case, but two years for what would be (in the scenario where we win the next three) the best season since 1990 seems like a slap in the face.
I seriously doubt he would rip it up and laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.