2015 Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So we have one of the handful of coaches in America who is capable of winning big at Georgia Tech. And he chooses to be here. He likes the challenge of winning with true student athletes and classy kids. He isn't hoping for an offer from a factory, and he isn't trying to see how high he can drive the bidding. He appears to have us in the early stages of a good run. So we want to treat such a coach halfhearted, lukewarm? We wouldn't want him to feel too welcome here now, would we?

Let's get one other thing out on the table. I'm an oldtimer and the Georgia game means more to me than perhaps it should. But I also recognize they are going through the best era of their history. It is not an easy era to get wins in.

On the other topic -- next season's schedule -- yes, there is a good chance our record suffers. But there are lots of positives. For me, I love a big game. I love a matchup with someone who you have no idea if you can beat, but if you do, you'll take it whatever it looks like. Think about the buildup to VT, Miami, Clemson, and Georgia this year. How much more fun is that than playing a team you think you should beat?

Lots of exposure when you play big games. Lots of notice when you win. Cred with recruits. Poll voters are merciful as long as you keep it close. I'm looking forward to it.

Scubapro

Banned
[QUOTE=" the Georgia game means more to me than perhaps it should. But I also recognize they are going through the best era of their history. It is not an easy era to get wins in.[/QUOTE]
THIS
The whole idea that PJ hasn't earned an extension is nonsense..PJ has kept Ga Tech respectable WHILE operating under tight recruiting restrictions...I don't know why I am responding to such BS...Some folks are just plain stupid.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
This statement:
I refuse to be a delusional fan with crazy thoughts.

Is contradicted by this one:
If we beat UGA,(FSU)if we make it, and Bowl game then yeah , give the man 2 more years.

You are basically saying that unless CPJ wins out, he should be fired. Because as many have already pointed out, without an extension CPJ effectively becomes a lame-duck and will make recruiting exponentially more difficult. (Hey, props for finally answering what it would take for you to extend CPJ.)

That is as "delusional" and "crazy" as it gets - similar to a factory fan's attitudes.

I am a TECH man to the day I die! I love the program just as much as anyone on here.

If you are a '90 grad you have experienced the highs and lows of being a GT football fan. If you are 24 years old, you are in for an interesting ride following GT football going forward, given your apparent expectations. I would like nothing more for 12-2 seasons to be the norm at The Flats, but I am not delusional nor crazy enough to think that it is going to happen unless the very nature of GT Football and CFB change.

Either way, don't lose faith in our team, BJ1990 - not every year is going to be 'our year' but CPJ is going to work his butt off getting the GT players ready to try.

The whole idea that PJ hasn't earned an extension is nonsense..PJ has kept Ga Tech respectable WHILE operating under tight recruiting restrictions...I don't know why I am responding to such BS...Some folks are just plain stupid.[/QUOTE]
I don't know why I am responding to back you neither but it seems to me your blaming his struggles on the Institution. Just take a good look at my posts and you will see that I make some really good points. If you would take the time to read it and think about it carefully, you might see my point. It wouldn't seem so *stupid* then.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Ok, so OP provided his requirements for an extension: win the next three. His floor for coach Johnson is a 12 win season...that would earn CPJ 2 years.

This is why people think you're trolling, OP

Have any of you people thought about how you treat other tech fans? No wander our fan base is struggling because the average fan doesn't want to deal with your high egos. Most of you people think your **** doesn't stink and that your 100x smarter than the average man. I made a good argument why he should not be extended *RIGHT NOW*. I have not once said FIRE him and I have not once knocked him.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Have any of you people thought about how you treat other tech fans? No wander our fan base is struggling because the average fan doesn't want to deal with your high egos. Most of you people think your **** doesn't stink and that your 100x smarter than the average man. I made a good argument why he should not be extended *RIGHT NOW*. I have not once said FIRE him and I have not once knocked him.
You have definitely not said to fire him. The problem with not extending him is a coach cannot recruit at maximum efficiency with one year on his contract. Recruits like stability and knowing that the school they are committing to is also committed to the coach recruiting them.

Unless you plan on firing him next year regardless of outcome, you have to give him something now to maintain recruiting momentum.

Animal02

Banned

We get it....you are right and everyone else is wrong :rolleyes:

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I'm not trying to be mean.
Other people have explained the problem of not extending: he becomes a lame duck coach and recruits get nervous.

If he's a lame duck coach, he'd also have a really good reason to explore other job options. To paraphrase him: if we're looking, he's looking.

Lastly, most people are taking issue with your prospective look at extending, rather than evaluating current or past performance. If we're going to de facto tell him too look for other jobs because the record MIGHT be worse next year, aren't we saying that any other coach we hired would face the exact same problem? If so, should we sign them all to one year deals?

Squints

Helluva Engineer
If we beat UGA,(FSU)if we make it, and Bowl game then yeah , give the man 2 more years.

So you bar for extending the guy is to beat three presumably very good teams and finish with 12 wins? Wow. This is why no one is taking you seriously. It's not personal. It's just that your expectations are pretty unrealistic.

My problem is extended him now. I am just looking at the next 14-15 games that could end up being a disaster(LOT of seniors on offense are leaving). I have a very good reason to be concerned just like some of you have reasons not to be concerned.

I think you're way too risk averse. Outright denying an extension because next year might be a disaster is just as silly as what you're criticizing. Why give anyone more than a one year contract? Hell why give anybody any money before a job is finished? Sometimes you have to take a chance. Not to mention, if he does meet the bar you've personally set the cost of the extension is going to shoot up and might end up hurting more in the long run than if it wasn't held back. If we're dealing with hypotheticals and speculation that's got a lot of potential for a non-rosy outcome too.

You have definitely not said to fire him. The problem with not extending him is a coach cannot recruit at maximum efficiency with one year on his contract. Recruits like stability and knowing that the school they are committing to is also committed to the coach recruiting them.

Unless you plan on firing him next year regardless of outcome, you have to give him something now to maintain recruiting momentum.
I totally agree. I guess I am the only fan on this board that still doubts him SOME. He has shown he can win and lose. I think we need to wait a few weeks before we decide to give him some crazy deal. If we were to win out then I will bite my tongue a little more with my doubts and say give him whatever he wants. I'm pulling for the man but ,there still some hard work to be done before he *deserves* a huge deal.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Along with most of us, BJ 1990 can look back to Ross...several extremely bad years leading up to a national championship...and then a drop off...and then B*** L****...etc.

Now we have an opportunity for stability in our program with a coach who gets it, all the way around. The ball is in our court.

Reactions: GPD
So the bar is set at 12 ??? And yet from 1967 (the first season after Dodd retired) until 2013, we averaged 6.3 wins per season. From 2008 through 2013, Johnson averaged 8 wins per season. If we finish this season (including the bowl) at 9-5, his average would be 8.14; if 10-4, it would be 8.29; if 11-3, it would be 8.43; and if 12-2, it would be 8.57. O'Leary, who I guess is more or less the standard since Dodd, won 7.43 games per season. I'd say Johnson has passed what SHOULD be the bar at Tech and is well-deserving of a contract extension, and I think it should come NOW.

So the bar is set at 12 ??? And yet from 1967 (the first season after Dodd retired) until 2013, we averaged 6.3 wins per season. From 2008 through 2013, Johnson averaged 8 wins per season. If we finish this season (including the bowl) at 9-5, his average would be 8.14; if 10-4, it would be 8.29; if 11-3, it would be 8.43; and if 12-2, it would be 8.57. O'Leary, who I guess is more or less the standard since Dodd, won 7.43 games per season. I'd say Johnson has passed what SHOULD be the bar at Tech and is well-deserving of a contract extension, and I think it should come NOW.
Can you see why I am concerned? The next few games this season and next season could drop that STAT down a point or so. It's weird situation for me because I still have some sour taste from previous seasons. The struggle vs. the Big 4,bowl games, and recruiting isn't worthy of a MAJOR DEAL right now. I do believe he wants to be at tech and that means a LOT more to some I get it.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
We need a contract extension and it needs to get done soon. If Tech beats uga, the price tag will go up. People tend to forget, we don't have unlimited money for a coaching staff. Plus, if CPJ doesn't get what he wants and decides to leave, who would we hire? Most likely would be a system change on O... That would lead to a mass exodus of recruits and some seasons of only beating the dregs of the league...

Status
Not open for further replies.