2015 Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I totally agree. I guess I am the only fan on this board that still doubts him SOME. He has shown he can win and lose. I think we need to wait a few weeks before we decide to give him some crazy deal. If we were to win out then I will bite my tongue a little more with my doubts and say give him whatever he wants. I'm pulling for the man but ,there still some hard work to be done before he *deserves* a huge deal.

Hyperbolizing those who disagree in order to criticize them isn't fair. I would bet there are few that don't "doubt him SOME" as you state. This forum provides ample evidence that some have "doubted" him until this year has shown better recruiting and more wins.
When you say that "If we were to win out then I will bite my tongue a little more with my doubts..."; this does seem to show that the bar you have set is unreasonably high. If Tech beat UGA, possibly FSU and then won their major bowl game, most GT fans would be singing CPJ's praises, not "biting their tongue". Who exactly is the alternative coach that can handle all the problems unique to Tech, produce better results, will accept the job and assuage your doubts?

Animal02

Banned
So the bar is set at 12 ??? And yet from 1967 (the first season after Dodd retired) until 2013, we averaged 6.3 wins per season. From 2008 through 2013, Johnson averaged 8 wins per season. If we finish this season (including the bowl) at 9-5, his average would be 8.14; if 10-4, it would be 8.29; if 11-3, it would be 8.43; and if 12-2, it would be 8.57. O'Leary, who I guess is more or less the standard since Dodd, won 7.43 games per season. I'd say Johnson has passed what SHOULD be the bar at Tech and is well-deserving of a contract extension, and I think it should come NOW.
There is a "storied" football program not many miles from me who's fans would loved to have averaged 8 wins a season for the last several years. ;).

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
What's the point in not extending him?
Fear of the schedule next year? Why is that a concern?

The guy has a 10 win and 2 9 win season under his belt now. I don't care for the offense either but results are results and wins should be the main thing that matters. Not to mention the graduation rates, the non off the field issues, the uptick in recruiting, and just continuity in general I don't see why leaving him a lame duck would benefit GT. If anything extend him but make the buyout small, that way you keep your flexibility if you wish to move on from CPJ or visa versa.

Animal02

Banned
What's the point in not extending him?
Fear of the schedule next year? Why is that a concern?

The guy has a 10 win and 2 9 win season under his belt now. I don't care for the offense either but results are results and wins should be the main thing that matters. Not to mention the graduation rates, the non off the field issues, the uptick in recruiting, and just continuity in general I don't see why leaving him a lame duck would benefit GT. If anything extend him but make the buyout small, that way you keep your flexibility if you wish to move on from CPJ or visa versa.
Either you lock him in for a longer term with more $$$ based on performance incentives or you go the shorter term and risk paying a lot more the next time you want to extend.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
If you are worried about the stats, let me point you to the one that really matters. APR. Before CPJ, it was in the tank. CPJ has come in and taken our graduation rates for football players to the top of the NCAA. While doing so, he has IMPROVED the football program at GT. THAT's the stat that we should be looking at the most.

This is very important. I am not sure how long or how closely many on this board have followed recruiting, but in the first few years of CPJ one of the major problems GT had was out graduation rate for football players. It cost of several recruits in those early years as we were near the bottom of the pack and not because we were sending a lot of juniors to the NFL. In 7 years we have made a complete 180 on our graduation rate.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me you have taken my post personal? IsCPJ your role model lol! Some of you still are arguing off topic here. I simply put he does not deserve a **HUGE DEAL** **RIGHT NOW**. I can deal with a two extension if he beats UGA. Some of you people take GT FOOTBALL to serious.

...says the guy who creates a thread titled '2015 Schedule' and has yet to post anything substantive about our actual 2015 schedule...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you are worried about the stats, let me point you to the one that really matters. APR. Before CPJ, it was in the tank. CPJ has come in and taken our graduation rates for football players to the top of the NCAA. While doing so, he has IMPROVED the football program at GT. THAT's the stat that we should be looking at the most.

I was going to point this out elsewhere, but the 2014 Annual Report came out with a summary of GT academics, strategic plan, financials, involvement globally and locally and other programs. Football was pictured and the only thing mentioned was how CPJ has improved APR.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I totally agree. I guess I am the only fan on this board that still doubts him SOME. He has shown he can win and lose. I think we need to wait a few weeks before we decide to give him some crazy deal. If we were to win out then I will bite my tongue a little more with my doubts and say give him whatever he wants. I'm pulling for the man but ,there still some hard work to be done before he *deserves* a huge deal.

Baby, you just come across as a guy that would Boo his own kids at an Easter egg hunt. A contrarian, because it sets you apart. If you have watched the games, listened to what Paul Johnson says and admit how he has overcome much adversity and instead of counting wins and losses on your fingers and toes you might get a glimmer of reality. Paul Johnson is the RIGHT football coach for Georgia Tech.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Explain how we could lose 3 additional games this season???

Possible.

Duke loses Thursday night and GT goes to the ACC Championship game

Gt loses to Uga
GT loses to FSU
Gt lose the Toilet Bowl against Whomever U

Squints

Helluva Engineer

I wouldn't say you're the only fan around that has some doubts. Seems pretty natural. But I think most people on here have weighed the risk vs. reward of giving an extension and think it's worth the risk. That doesn't necessarily mean they support a "crazy deal" as you put it. If an extension was signed tomorrow with a massive buyout and exorbitant salary I think a lot of people, myself included, would not be happy about it.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Give CPJ the extension and lets get the 2016 class rolling ... Geez . Is the baby guy for real ? CPJ is competing against " factories " at a Stem and has 9 wins ... are you ( baby jacket ) delusional ? Give CPJ more money for his coaching staff , more recruiting dollars and stop tying his hands .

I wouldn't say you're the only fan around that has some doubts. Seems pretty natural. But I think most people on here have weighed the risk vs. reward of giving an extension and think it's worth the risk. That doesn't necessarily mean they support a "crazy deal" as you put it. If an extension was signed tomorrow with a massive buyout and exorbitant salary I think a lot of people, myself included, would not be happy about it.
I have read on numerous sites where fans want to lock him for a long period of time *right now* People have been posting "sign him before the UGA game*. I simply put why we should not extend until after the season. I WANT HIM TO SUCEED AT TECH! How many times do I need to write this? But things could go sour very quickly(good chance they do). It's something to think about for sure. I would hate some 4-6 year deal worth more money *Right Now*(before the UGA game). I AM NOT ARGUING HE SHOULD NOT GET REWARDED! I would like to see GT wait until the end of the season. I'm done writing back to you fellas on this thread. Have fun bashing every tech guy that doesn't praise Johnson like he is Dodd. THWG! Go Jackets!

Give CPJ the extension and lets get the 2016 class rolling ... Geez . Is the baby guy for real ? CPJ is competing against " factories " at a Stem and has 9 wins ... are you ( baby jacket ) delusional ? Give CPJ more money for his coaching staff , more recruiting dollars and stop tying his hands .
Go back and take a few minutes to read some of my post please. Since 2010 we have not been a very good team(not going into details with this). This is not a Hate CPJ thread or anything to that nature. Simply a post as to why we should WAIT before the season is up until we do. THWG!

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I stopped reading at "good chance we could miss a bowl game." We weren't supposed to make a bowl game the last four years. We have 2 automatic wins in non conference, which means we would have to have a losing record in conference. When's the last time that happened?

I know we have to replace guys on offense but, you know, we do recruit players. There will be talented guys that fill in. Smelter will be tough to replace but everyone else will be replaced with someone who is just as good or better.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
GT just this last year got a recruiting office ... GT is so far behind the competition when it come to funding its sad . Most other schools have way more resources . CPJ has done more w less than any coach in GT history . Not having a extension is hurting 2016 recruiting . We even had that doubt with Wills recruitment . CPJ has earned a extension . GT is not a " normal " football school . If anything they should spend more money in the recruiting dept , so they can find players that can play football and read past a 5 th grade level . Don't take this wrong , but many GT fans are in a make believe world ... GT is hard as hell academically , most " NFL bound want to be " high school players have zero desire to actually get a education . They want the easiest 3 year path to the NFL . GT needs to invest more to find the players that do give a crap about a degree . Give CPJ the money and resources he needs and lets move forward . He has earned a extension . The " WAIT " is hurting recruiting ...

I stopped reading at "good chance we could miss a bowl game." We weren't supposed to make a bowl game the last four years. We have 2 automatic wins in non conference, which means we would have to have a losing record in conference. When's the last time that happened?

I know we have to replace guys on offense but, you know, we do recruit players. There will be talented guys that fill in. Smelter will be tough to replace but everyone else will be replaced with someone who is just as good or better.
Nobody in this thread has posted *we could miss a bowl game*.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
GT just this last year got a recruiting office ... GT is so far behind the competition when it come to funding its sad . Most other schools have way more resources . CPJ has done more w less than any coach in GT history . Not having a extension is hurting 2016 recruiting . We even had that doubt with Wills recruitment . CPJ has earned a extension . GT is not a " normal " football school . If anything they should spend more money in the recruiting dept , so they can find players that can play football and read past a 5 th grade level . Don't take this wrong , but many GT fans are in a make believe world ... GT is hard as hell academically , most " NFL bound want to be " high school players have zero desire to actually get a education . They want the easiest 3 year path to the NFL . GT needs to invest more to find the players that do give a crap about a degree . Give CPJ the money and resources he needs and lets move forward . He has earned a extension . The " WAIT " is hurting recruiting ...

Mack some folks just don't get it. What can you do?

Please provide information where not extending him has hurt the 2016 recruiting class ? Because we don't have 5-10 commits already ? Haha! Last time I checked were on the same track as previous years in recruiting this early in future classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.