2014-15 NBA Season Thread

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Hawks should of gotten Shumpert!! They Knicks are tanking and just want expiring contracts....the hawks should of done Shumpert for John Jenkins(upcoming free agent) straight up. He would provide even more perimeter defense and another 3 point shooter. Also wouldn't mind a yellow jacket on the team :)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hawks should of gotten Shumpert!! They Knicks are tanking and just want expiring contracts....the hawks should of done Shumpert for John Jenkins(upcoming free agent) straight up. He would provide even more perimeter defense and another 3 point shooter. Also wouldn't mind a yellow jacket on the team :)
Shump was likely to leave the Knicks because I doubt they were gonna pay him the going rate. So rather than lose him for nothing, they were compensated by managing to dump JR.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Would've loved to see the Hawks pick up Shumpert as he'd certainly be an upgrade over Jenkins. I wonder though how he'd fit in the pass-first style we're using considering he's been versed in iso-ball for so long.

Agree with @jeffgt14 that the Knicks got the better end of this deal. I'm sure fans like @dtm1997 are happy as this probably propels their rebuild.

Meanwhile, the Hawks just keep wreckin' the league. Whipped LAC in LA last night. Is there a more unlikeable bunch than that Clippers team? I've never seen a squad collectively complain and flop all night. Sickening.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Not a bad move for the Cavs though. Shumpert could fit in well in Cleveland. He’s a much better on ball defender than Dion Waiters is. The only downside is they now have JR Smith. Can you get away with not playing JR Smith? I can only imagine if you didn’t play him he would probably starting shooting around on the other side of the court between possessions like he’s waiting for the next pickup game to start.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
That game last night was ridiculous....the clippers were whining and complaining all game. I couldn't watch the whole game because I had class in the morning so I listened to it. The hawks play by play guy was so funny when their was a bad foul called on the hawks. "Blake Griffin gets all the calls, you can't even look at him. This is ridiculous"

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@kg01 The only thing I would've liked more about the deal is getting some more draft picks. I didn't want Shump to go, but I don't think the Knicks would've paid him market and I think we didn't get any picks back because our benefit was shedding JR's craziness.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That game last night was ridiculous....the clippers were whining and complaining all game. I couldn't watch the whole game because I had class in the morning so I listened to it. The hawks play by play guy was so funny when their was a bad foul called on the hawks. "Blake Griffin gets all the calls, you can't even look at him. This is ridiculous"

Yeah, I'm thankful that's our last game against them. If I have to see Griffin's "post moves" consisting of traveling on his way to offensive-fouling the defender while flopping all over the lane is a routine that gets really old.

The best play was Chris Paul's no mas 6th foul at the end when it was clear he wanted out of having to guard Teague.

@kg01 The only thing I would've liked more about the deal is getting some more draft picks. I didn't want Shump to go, but I don't think the Knicks would've paid him market and I think we didn't get any picks back because our benefit was shedding JR's craziness.

I hear you. Knicks need pix. They're setting themselves up to try for 2 max contracts this offseason. IOW, basically the reason they're in the predicament they're currently in. Expect them to try for M. Gasol and Jimmy Butler. Both guys that are most likely to re-sign with their current teams. Second tier will be Greg Monroe and either Afflalo or Wes Matthews. Actually if they land any of those they'll be more than serviceable depending on how they fill out the rest of the roster. Could be a pretty good team.

What's your thoughts on Fisher so far?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@kg01 - Between needing to focus on GT hoops & the Knicks being awful, I haven't been paying attention. I love my Knicks, but I can take this year off to stay on top of GT hoops.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't even like the Hawks, but if Rembert Browne puts this on Kickstarter, I'd kick in.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@kg01 - Between needing to focus on GT hoops & the Knicks being awful, I haven't been paying attention. I love my Knicks, but I can take this year off to stay on top of GT hoops.

I hear you. I'm kinda the opposite as a Hawks fan. I've definitely been more hands-off w.r.t. GT bball this year.

Oh and on the possible move to Seattle, Simmons is just trolling as usual. The Seattle folks were always going to make a bid (which is all he's "reporting" in that story).

IIUC, it'd cost about $200 million in addition to the cost of the franchise to move the Hawks when you take into consideration what it'd cost to break the Phillips arena lease and pay back the bonds owed to the city. The part I'm not 100% sure on is the bond portion. I know they'd have to be paid but I'm not positive on the $ amount.

On top of that, Atlanta is a top 8 TV market (Seattle is top 15) and the league has a strong relationship with TNT. Both of which should anchor the franchise to this city. I know folks always point to attendance as a reason franchises move but that's really quite down the line in order of importance. Support from the Atlanta City Council has always been strong for the Hawks (the Thrashers move was an Atlanta Spirit thing). This was not the case in Seattle and other places which moved due to lack of support for new stadiums. There's allegedly already support for a new Hawks stadium when needed.

There's obviously a lot of nuts/bolts to this which I glossed over so I apologize for anything I missed.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This would probably piss me off if I were a Knicks fan.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...sponsibilty-new-york-knicks-disastrous-season

"This is a mea culpa. I take responsibility for it," Jackson said.

Jackson reiterated on Saturday that he thought the Knicks would be a playoff team this season. Instead, things have gone horribly wrong for Jackson and the Knicks.

"There was something going on there that didn't click toward making winning necessary or a possibility for us," Jackson said.

He added that he didn't want fans to blame first-year head coach Derek Fisher for the Knicks' struggles.

"The fans, I want them to leave Derek alone in this regard. He's doing the best job possible. It's not his fault," Jackson said.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Well finally the Hornets are showing signs of life...5 in a row and only 1 1/2 games out of the 8th seed.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Hawks keep on rolling! They just destroyed the Wizards today and won 120-89.....the 2nd best team in the east, Washington Wizards

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Crazy the Hawks have lost to LAL, ORL, MIL and that awful HorCats team (don't tase me Hornets fans ;)) and are outclassing these playoff teams at home and on the road.

Really fun team to watch.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
@Eric did we make that bet official?
My Hawks not only looking good they kicking the holy $#*@ out of teams... I love this team. Straight up intelligent team ball. No ISO, but
my greatest concern is that we don't have a closer/finisher and we need one.
Also I don't know what we gonna do with Milsap with his contract being up.